Sony PVM-2950QM - Should I buy it?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rupert H

Sony PVM-2950QM - Should I buy it?

Post by Rupert H »

I'm a little new to the PVM game so I'm not sure what's good and what's to be avoided. This listing is going for £30, is within collecting distance and I'm about to get it, I just wanted to run it by some more experienced eyes first.

Would this be suitable for 15khz RGB SNES, MD, Saturn, PS2, Supergun, etc? I've heard PVMs are happy being tate'd. Is that the case with all models? Is there an ideal PVM I should be looking for for shmup playing?

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Rupert H on Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Good luck tating that beast! It probably weighs in around 200lbs. Bring a friend if you are picking it up! It sure looks like you can run 15kHz RGB. Here's the manual: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model- ... l=PVM2950Q
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Thanks for that. I hadn't thought of bringing along a beefy friend to help lift it, so it's good that you mentioned that too. It most certainly is a beast, but the effort will be well rewarded when I have 29" worth of ESPGaluda in my room.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

reading through that manual it says nothing about being able to run 15khz....i would look into that before you buy
cody

Post by cody »

Buy it. I have a 2950, its worth the cheap price. ps2 component @ 240p works fine on it, havent gotten around to making rgb cables for it but even saturn svideo looks ok.

Its not that hard to tate, you have plenty of leverage because of the handles.

Not all that heavy either, 2 normal people can get it up stairs.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

I've only just managed to get a look at that manual, and by the look of it, I've seriously misunderstood this hardware. I had presumed that the RGB output was via a 21 pin scart socket (the conection I have for all of my 15khz consoles) but on closer inspection, it doesn't seem to have one. How does it output RGB? What kind of leads would I need to use it?

Thanks for all the info so far.
wrdaniel

Post by wrdaniel »

It has a 5xBNC (RGBHV) Connector for the RGB-Signals. I have mine working with an ArcadeVGA and a normal BNC-monitor-cable.
philexile

Re: Sony PVM-2950QM - Should I buy it?

Post by philexile »

Hi,

I have one of these monitors and it works great. I'd definitely recommend bringing a friend to help carry it. I have most of my consoles output to it via SCART, using a SCART -> RGBs adapter. If you have any questions about the setup let me know and I can take pictures of the components.

Good luck
amarti

Post by amarti »

What do you mean when you say "component"? This monitor only has s-video and bnc inputs.
joeblade

Post by joeblade »

amarti wrote:What do you mean when you say "component"? This monitor only has s-video and bnc inputs.
You need to get bnc to phono adaptors, pop them onto your bnc inputs then plug your component cable into them. :wink:
May need a custom cable made up depending on the system you wanna connect...
"Have you ever retired a human by mistake"
amarti

Post by amarti »

It must be a male bnc to female phono, isnt' it?
I wanna connect the ps2 and xbox 360
By the way, is this monitor the best for xbox 360?
Last edited by amarti on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

I used to use a scart to vga [had a sync splitter in it] then a vga to 5 bnc cable. Worked great. Component was hooked up directly using phono to bnc adapter plugs - v simple.

There are 2 types of 2950 ... q and qm I believe... One is 15khz one is 31, can't remember which way round. But either way, worth £30 easily if its near you, and you've room for it. Its got decent controls plus the hidden service menus, so give it a good go before determining whether its in good condition.
joeblade

Post by joeblade »

amarti wrote:It must be a male bnc to female phono, isnt' it?
I wanna connect the ps2 and xbox 360
By the way, is this monitor the bust for xbox 360?
Yes to the first...
To the second i went with svideo and was more than satisfied with the picture....
Yes my screen originally had a 360 running on it and it is perfect for the xbox jp shmups coz you've got easy rotate plus it's a crt so scanlines ahoy!! :P
"Have you ever retired a human by mistake"
amarti

Post by amarti »

My monitor is the pvm-2950qm.
There is the pgm model which i think has vga input. This is because I ask whether is the best monitor.
What about an vga->cga converter ?