DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

drboom

Re: DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

Post by drboom »

Starting watching now...
Just have to say, you are a monster! Nice work!
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Nice job. ;)
MoonZ

Post by MoonZ »

Just watched it, that's a wonderful run... congratulations Prometheus !
zlk

Post by zlk »

Great job and thanks for the replays!
=SNC=

Post by =SNC= »

zlk wrote:Great job and thanks for the replays!
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Your 2-6 performance reminded me of invincible robots. This replay is outright insane.

My favourite gaming feat of the year. That score's a milestone! :)
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

literally held my breath last 10 min of your beautifull run :shock:
austere

Post by austere »

This is the first full run I've watched (since I've almost looped this game, I still closed my ears and eyes and the half way point ;P) and I am amazed! After studying the way you cleared 1-5, I think I can do it without bombing now. Superb work and don't stop, a 700m+ score awaits you...
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
captpain

Post by captpain »

I am in romantic love with PROMETHEUS's shooting game skills.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Plasmo wrote:Your 2-6 performance reminded me of invincible robots. This replay is outright insane.

My favourite gaming feat of the year. That score's a milestone! :)
Finished watching it today at work. I echo all these sentiments.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Any way of watching this replay on any other MAME versions? I have 64-bit Windows 7, and the MAME included with the replay apparently won't work on 64-bit :(
MoonZ

Post by MoonZ »

drunkninja24 wrote:Any way of watching this replay on any other MAME versions? I have 64-bit Windows 7, and the MAME included with the replay apparently won't work on 64-bit :(
uncheck direct3D in the dodonpachi jp rom display properties. Worked for me.
Zetzumarshen

Post by Zetzumarshen »

Congratulations Prometheus for breaking your own record! :D
Last edited by Zetzumarshen on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Downloading Prom's replay, though I'll only be able to watch it tomorrow. Can't wait to see what the final score is.

EDIT: Okay man, that was absolutely amazing. Some dodges in 2-6 were crazy, I was yelling BOMB DAMMIT at the screen :lol: I got tense just from watching, can't imagine how you were feeling at the moment.

Glad to see you managed to reach your goal.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
stanski

Post by stanski »

Some quick comments on things that are really not hugely important, but just little things that don't seem to hard to implement.

Your collection technique for stars if you look back on your replay (such as at the end of boss fights) isn't very optimal. You keep moving upwards to grab the stars instead of strafing back and forth which i think is a mistake because you are missing out on free points here (i know its not much but they are free points after all)

In 1-3 you know its possible and not that hard to link the enemies that shoot out a 10k big star when killed on the bottom of the screen with the next section of the stage? I really don't think its hard to do compared to some of the other things you do in loop one, and its worth trying since you aren't currently using a route that could have this happen.

I know in 1-4 its easier to do the boss glitch and doesn't count for many points to not do it, but with your skill level do you ever really miss runs just doing the boss the normal way to garner a few more points there?

Sick run sir!
LtC

Post by LtC »

stanski wrote:Some quick comments on things that are really not hugely important, but just little things that don't seem to hard to implement.

Your collection technique for stars if you look back on your replay (such as at the end of boss fights) isn't very optimal. You keep moving upwards to grab the stars instead of strafing back and forth which i think is a mistake because you are missing out on free points here (i know its not much but they are free points after all)

In 1-3 you know its possible and not that hard to link the enemies that shoot out a 10k big star when killed on the bottom of the screen with the next section of the stage? I really don't think its hard to do compared to some of the other things you do in loop one, and its worth trying since you aren't currently using a route that could have this happen.

I know in 1-4 its easier to do the boss glitch and doesn't count for many points to not do it, but with your skill level do you ever really miss runs just doing the boss the normal way to garner a few more points there?

Sick run sir!
The 1-3 section is worth more when chained, you can link them with the part after them. Besides any stars in general aren't really worth anything specially compared to MAX bonus or chaining. It's better to just completely ignore them.

[For the 1-4 boss I'd say if I was PROMETHEUS I'd still do the boss that way so you won't accidentally start dodging it normally without glitching and specially since you're bound to do 1-4 boss far more than 2-4 boss just to get the glitching habit (Of course depending on if you restart your runs if you screw up something).]

Ohh. And congrats for huge improvement PROM! :D
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Hey, when is Prometheus going to finish the write-up he was talking about?
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Thank you guys so much for the comments, it's always very nice to read every single one of them ! As I've said before, your continuous encouragement has definitely helped me raise the bar again and again and I am very thankful for it. It is a really great reward after working on a new achievement.

I am back home now, so here is the proper posting of the score.

ProMeTheus - 547,501,230 - A-L - ALL - 854

So this was the 38th of a new set of runs that I started recently after noticing a lot of improvements in consistency. I also discovered a few new little techniques to deal with the parts that proved the most problematic before (small path adjustments in 2-5 and 2-6). Definitely came faster than the 488M record that took more than two hundred tries !

When I got to the middle of 2-5, naturally, again, nervousness kicked in and I started to breathe deeply like I learned it helps, from before. The most annoying thing is I can't seem to stop a lot of thoughts coming through my head when I reach a critical point where I'm going to beat my record. I tried to stay focused, and succeeded at that, until the game gave me a few seconds of deadly pause : standing at the top of the screen gently following the boss' movements while he unleashes a useless bomb pattern. I let my mind lose itself and relax too much, and failed to notice I was escaping the boss' proximity at a very dangerous moment. I realized this bomb was going to explode a fraction of a second before it did, and didn't trigger my own bomb fast enough.

BLAST!
"Oh my god, I just messed it up.. I just messed up a potentially perfect run.. shit that sucks I can't believe I messed it up like this..."

I looked at the score. If I could perform perfectly in 2-6, I could still make a major improvement. I was entirely focused now, and fought with the best of my ability through 2-6. The stage got a little harder than usual because I lacked firepower in the beginning, and because I did a little mistake in the middle of the stage that forced some more difficult dodges than normal.

I arrived at the 2-6 boss without having died and with a good 500M+ score, I was ready to finish the run by taking zero risk and ensuring a solid end game bonus. I bombed immediately every time I saw something that I wasn't entirely sure of dodging smoothly and safely.

When Hibachi was destroyed, I lifted both arms up in a victory pose and took a large breath. I was smiling, looking at my ceiling. I felt a huge deal of relief (from the last 15 min of crazy stress) and satisfaction.

Now I'm going to put on some awesome music and watch Zetzumarchen's 202M C-L run because I sure like the sound of "occidental C-L no miss no bomb of first loop, 200M+" !!
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

PROMETHEUS wrote: I realized this bomb was going to explode a fraction of a second before it did, and didn't trigger my own bomb fast enough.

BLAST!
"Oh my god, I just messed it up.. I just messed up a potentially perfect run.. shit that sucks I can't believe I messed it up like this..."
Well, it's good to know that we all mistime bombs. Nice job, and as soon as I get MAME replays working I will try to watch your superplay.
captpain

Post by captpain »

PROMETHEUS wrote: I looked at the score. If I could perform perfectly in 2-6, I could still make a major improvement. I was entirely focused now, and fought with the best of my ability through 2-6. The stage got a little harder than usual because I lacked firepower in the beginning, and because I did a little mistake in the middle of the stage that forced some more difficult dodges than normal.
That stage had some of the most clever and agile dodging I've ever seen in a superplay.
Aguraki

Post by Aguraki »

thx for the insight,truly epic.
BLAST!

I looked at the score. If I could perform perfectly in 2-6, I could still make a major improvement. I was entirely focused now, and fought with the best of my ability through 2-6
mark of the best to refocus quickly and re-assemble themselves.

hail to prometheus that's sick
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

stanski wrote:Some quick comments on things that are really not hugely important, but just little things that don't seem to hard to implement.

I thought it was pretty optimal, though you may be right that it could be improved a little bit. However, even grabbing the stars at all is worth nothing compared to the MAX bonus and chains. For example, the MAX bonus at x1 gives you as many points as 58 stars a second (counting the end of level bonus for stars). It starts at x2, increases up to x15, and is multiplied by 2 in second loop. That's basically up to 1800 stars per second. If I collected stars a little better, I might get 30 more per level... which are only worth about 10,000 more points.
stanski wrote:In 1-3 you know its possible and not that hard to link the enemies that shoot out a 10k big star when killed on the bottom of the screen with the next section of the stage? I really don't think its hard to do compared to some of the other things you do in loop one, and its worth trying since you aren't currently using a route that could have this happen.
That's something I never bothered to learn cause again, it's worth nearly nothing at all compared to what you lose because of the slightest mistake in your run. Just like I don't care that my Stage 1 path is only 190 hits, then 60, even though it's possible to get 191 and 61 I think. Maybe I'll learn to do it for fun... maybe not !
stanski wrote:I know in 1-4 its easier to do the boss glitch and doesn't count for many points to not do it, but with your skill level do you ever really miss runs just doing the boss the normal way to garner a few more points there?
Now this is more significant. The additional hits at this boss could get me 200 or 300,000 more points I think. It's still almost nothing though, and yes I would probably miss there, sometimes. One thing I learned is that you can miss ANYTHING no matter your skill level. You'll just miss more and more rarely the better you get. So just because I don't want 1 run out of 100 to get wasted at this part, I chose to give up 300,000 points. Like LtC said, it's also nice to do it every run in stage 1-4 so that the timing and method to execute the bug well stays fresh in your mind, making sure you'll fail it as rarely as possible in 2-4. Although for that purpose you could also just fire up a 2-4 boss saved state and do it 3 or 4 times every few days or something.

These small adjustments only matter when you are aiming to play a run where all the most significant sources will be fully, and I mean fully, exploited.

For example : in that run, if I had bombed instead of died at the 2-5 boss, the MAX bonus in next level + the no miss end of level bonus would have got me 60 more millions. If I had not bombed AND not died, that's 80 more millions. If I had not broken the 2-6 chain with that small timing mistake, I would have gotten 20 more millions.

Now if I knew that I wouldn't stop playing new runs until I get MAX bonus uninterrupted + all chains, then the small adjustments would make the difference... between me and another guy who achieved the same. In other words, if I was going for a world record.

Not my case !
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

RNGmaster wrote:Hey, when is Prometheus going to finish the write-up he was talking about?
I've not had a lot of free time lately but I will most likely finish that article this month !
Follow me on Twitch??
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Congrats on your tremendous run! *standing ovations*
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
malik11

Post by malik11 »

Congratulations, Prometheus.

malik11 - 120,733,880 - A-L - 2-4 - 485

The replay can be found here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3FJVLPUT
luy

Post by luy »

Congratulations Prometheus ^^
you are the MONSTER ^^
the god of ddp ^^ :mrgreen:
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Finally got around to watching that replay. Holy crap, that's incredible. I never even knew about certain things like that Stage 4 boss glitch, and will definitely be trying to get that down. Still working on trying to consistently 1CC the first loop (only done it once so far) and get enough points to get to the second right now, though.
Zetzumarshen

Post by Zetzumarshen »

Thanks for the replay Prometheus. Have just watched it. I must say, there are few things that I overlook:
1. Using shot to slowdown stage 6 boss last pattern,
2. Lasering purple battleships turrets to get 100hit chain before midboss stage 3,
Maybe those are all, I am using different ship type afterall. But the first tip probably applicable at stage 2-3 midboss, I have to try that sometime. I rather deal 3-4 wave of slow pattern rather than pressing my luck for 2 waves. Or everywhere else that I deem hard. I am regretting not to chose C-S now as the ship generate more shot sprite thus decreasing the number of enemy bullet sprite to trigger the slowdown.

Another note, your 2-6 is so sick. If I must repeat that route then I may as well as never see the pilot.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Managed to loop! :mrgreen:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

So I watched Zetsumarchen's 200M C-L replay and it was very cool !
It's awesome to see a C-L occidental replay. It's fun for me to watch because I have my own very precisely learned methods to deal with each parts of the game, and I like to see it done differently with someone else's own methods. You seem to like to pointblank stuff which looks unusual with C-L, I like that. Is C-L's laser weaker than A-L's ?

Are you using a model video ? I see many of your routes seem quite unsafe and the chaining is still sloppy. I want to see 1-4, 1-5 and 1-6 chains with C-L played by a westerner !! With better route learning I see you scoring up to 300M soon. Good dodging skills.
Follow me on Twitch??