DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

BER

Post by BER »

Hey LtC,

I'd like to add to moozooh's reply.
LtC wrote:Extra extends:
I've gotten twice an extra 1up during stage 3 and for the first time I thought I was just hallucinating but now I got it the second time from the bridge of the big ship near the end of stage 3.
In addition to destroying the side containers, you cannot destroy the central container that contains the 1up with a bomb. Using the shot or laser to destroy the central container is fine. I think you can still get the 1up even if you destroy the side containers with the bomb, though.
LtC wrote:Pads:
I'm a person who's always played with keyboard and I've considered on getting the saturn pad. Are there others here who've played with keyboard for a long time and successfully gotten used to pads?
I have played Shikigami no Shiro II with the PS2 and PS3 pads for the PS2 version of the game and with the keyboard for the PC version. And I have used the keyboard for many other shmups for about seven years. As for Shiki II, I get similar results from using the pad and the keyboard, so I am comfortable with using a PS2 or PS3 pad.

I'm not comfortable with using the left stick or the D-Pad on the Xbox 360 controller, however. Moving diagonally is tough for me to do comfortably on the left stick, and moving diagonally is something I do by accident on the D-Pad when I just want to move left or right.

Basically, if you want to try out the Saturn pad, I don't think you need to worry about switching movement control between your left and right hands. Worry more about whether you can move more comfortably with the pad than with the keyboard.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Can't manipulate stage 2 and 3 attack patterns orders, but can manipulate their intensity / direction to some extent. Just watch some videos, feel free to ask questions if you're lost on the details.

And keyboards rock!
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Ahhhh, it's been a while.

RWM - 133,405,190 - A-L - 2-4 - 677

http://www.mediafire.com/?8l1ndjsyjdz

Had a really dumb death on the 5th boss. My d-pad stuck TWICE (it hasn't been sticking lately! Goddamnit!) on the 6th boss right at the beginning (the second killed me, don't know how I lived through the first), and then from there, it turns into a personal record for panic bombing since I still haven't practiced the second loop at all. Everything past the very beginning of 2-3 was completely new to me.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Well done arvandor, gogo 2nd place!
LtC

Post by LtC »

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.

I'm starting to get a little further now and I broke 30KK and getting closer to 1cc (If I just didn't try to be too tricky and ram into both st4 and st5 bosses with full bombs), I just wish I had more time to practise.

I also watched Arvandor's replay (Keeping up the chain on st2&4 was very impressive) and I have some more questions:

1. I noticed myself that using bomb when the 'propably the hardest part' sounds you can get up to 300hit on st1 boss and up to 400 on st2 boss. Surely the reward of using it is a lot more than the pitiful 10k you get from a new bomb but I didn't see Arvandor use it. According to gamefaqs the condition for loop2 is 50kk, set amount of HIT depending on ship, only 2 lives lost max and all bees in 4 areas. Is gamefaqs wrong on this?

2. Stage 3 mid part: Small ships shooting bullets and killing the big ships will clear the field out of bullets. I tried it out myself and it seems you got quite a deal of points out of it but I didn't look too well there. Is it something you definately should do to increase score? Do the points work the same way when I use laser type bomb?

3. Does using a bomb terminate your HIT chain completely? I'm quite sure of this myself but I might be just having bad luck so I need to be 100% certain.

4. The flowers. On stage 2 in the building flowers seem to appear when you go above the building? What's the purpose of those? Also there seems to be another place in st4 mid part where you can keep your chain on with laser if you stay on it.

5. Finishing score: Is there some sort of point bonus when you finish the first loop (And don't continue to the second loop) coming from factors like lives left, Max HIT or bombs left?

6. Save states. I tried making save states on the emulators that I've used myself and I got an error when trying it on ddp. It would be very helpful if I could just create safespot just before starting so I wouldn't have to lose all lives or restart MAME to start over. Not to talk about practising st5 boss safespots for example. What emulators would I be able to get it working with or maybe there is something wrong with my settings?

7. Laser Splash? How does it actually work: Getting closer to the enemy will increase the power or is it just when you're really close to the enemy? Also, does the HIT chain speed up if you're closer to the enemy as well?

8. C-L. I've been using this ship type lately but according to the high score chart it doesn't really seem very popular. Is it because of its really horrible mobility which'll screw up your chain or is there another reason? Also, are there any differences between the laser power between ships. I always thought C had more power than A but that might be just me imagining things.

I feel pretty bad having to ask all this but since asking before helped me tons I suppose I'll bother you again, sorry.

And one more thing which is totally unrelated to ddp but since Zach Keene doesn't seem to have been active lately I couldn't find a better place to ask this:
I was looking for Kamui on the high score forums section but the link on Zach Keene's thread makes it seem the thread is dead. Did something special happen to the thread or did it just 'die'? I found it odd because Kamui is definately one of the better PC shmups around and has an interesting scoring system so I wanted to see what the top scores were and maybe even post up my own score.
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

LtC wrote:Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.

I'm starting to get a little further now and I broke 30KK and getting closer to 1cc (If I just didn't try to be too tricky and ram into both st4 and st5 bosses with full bombs), I just wish I had more time to practise.

I also watched Arvandor's replay (Keeping up the chain on st2&4 was very impressive) and I have some more questions:
I feel pretty bad having to ask all this but since asking before helped me tons I suppose I'll bother you again, sorry..
1. The real bonus for not using bombs is when you have full stock and you pick up another bomb - your bomb stock indicator turns into a red bar with MAXIMUM scrolling across when this happens. In this condition your score increases continually, and the rate increases for every additional bomb you pick up. This bonus is worth vastly more than anything you could obtain from strategic bombing, and indeed more than any other scoring technique (at the top level, with chaining a close second).

2. Destroying the carriers for bullet cancel is worth several million points, and it is a fairly safe option once you've figured out the route. It's pretty much required in 2-3, once you get there.

3. Using bomb completely wipes your chain.

4. The flowers give you points for hovering over them, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The observation about stage 4 is accurate though, that bit really helps with the chain.

5. Afaik there is no bonus for finishing the first loop (apart from possible no miss bonus for stage 6, but if you can no miss stage 6 you're probably reaching the second loop anyway). The only end bonuses occur at the end of the second loop (lol), where you get 10m per remaining life.

6. WolfMAME v0.99 works with savestates on ddp. Later versions seem to stop working for some reason.

7. The aura around your ship when you fire the laser does as much damage as the laser, so when you hover right over something such that both your aura and your laser are hitting it, you get double firepower. The hit chain does not speed up with proximity, and if you go close up you destroy the enemy faster so you'll get a higher chain from keeping your distance.

8. I think the reason that C-L is unpopular is because it doesn't seem to fulfil any specific role. People who want powerful lasers use A-L (or occasionally B-L), people who want powerful spread shot use C-S. I'm sure it's possible to achieve very high scores with C-L though. I'm not sure about the relative laser powers.

Updated.
Last edited by Ravid on Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

1. If you want points, never ever bomb, or bomb only when you're pretty damn sure you're going to die. Bombing hurts your score badly because of the MAXIMUM bonus that gets triggered when you have more than a full stock of bombs. Then again it is still much better to bomb than to die, so bombing at the last second when you recognize you're in danger is an important skill to develop. The gamefaqs conditions for coming into loop 2 are right (only one of them needs to be checked to get access).

2. Yes this part is worth the most points in stage 3. The more bullets cancelled by killing the big ships the more points. You do not get points in a similar way by using a bomb, laser or not.

3. Yes, UNLESS your maximum bonus is triggered AND the bomb you used is a laser bomb AND you're Player 1, then you're chain is keeps going normally (good to know).

4. You can ignore the flowers, they give you points while they're fully bloomed and they bloom when you hover next to them and then disappear again if you leave their area but that's worth nothing (couple of tens of thousands I guess). In stage 4, those flowers help add a few hits to your chain but are not required to keep your chain going. It's best to learn the route using them because it's relatively easy to do and makes more points.

5. no

6. Use wolfmameplus99 for fully working savestates. DEFINITELY use them to practice, that will save you a L O T of time (you can achieve the same results about 5 times faster by using savestates while practicing and then doing full, regular runs when ready).

7. There is an aura around your ship when you use your laser. When this aura touches something destructible, it damages it at the same rate as your laser. It also adds up with the laser if both are touching the enemy, so point blanking an enemy will deal twice as much damage this way.

8. That's a difficult question, although it's definitely possible to make a really really high score with C-L it's probably not the most convenient ship to use, because it seems the best C-L players score lower than the best C-S players. You will also have trouble finding a video or replay that shows you how to play C-L. C ship type has a weaker laser than A type. (As far as laser goes, A > B > C).

Don't feel bad about asking, that's part of what these forums are here for.

Edit : Ravid beat me to it ! ^^
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I have one thing to add on question #2. If you die somewhere during stage 3 before the bullet cancel part, your rank gets kicked down, and there are FAR fewer bullets to cancel. The difference in points can be measured in millions. Not to mention the loss of max bomb bonus >_< I have a tendency to restartitis whenever I die before stage 4 (and even then, a death on stage 4 basically decimates my score, and it turns into a practice run).

One last thing, if you thought MY crappy replay had some impressive bits to it, go watch Prometheus' replay. Effectively perfect run of the first loop, and an outstanding run of the second (he clears it). And gets almost 4x my score =P

Wow, I just realized I've snuck up into 3rd place... How'd that happen? o_O
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Any particular reason you guys use japan version instead of international?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
freddiebamboo

Post by freddiebamboo »

As far as I know, there is no difference other than the title text between the versions.
LtC

Post by LtC »

1. If you want points, never ever bomb, or bomb only when you're pretty damn sure you're going to die. Bombing hurts your score badly because of the MAXIMUM bonus that gets triggered when you have more than a full stock of bombs. Then again it is still much better to bomb than to die, so bombing at the last second when you recognize you're in danger is an important skill to develop. The gamefaqs conditions for coming into loop 2 are right (only one of them needs to be checked to get access).
1. The real bonus for not using bombs is when you have full stock and you pick up another bomb - your bomb stock indicator turns into a red bar with MAXIMUM scrolling across when this happens. In this condition your score increases continually, and the rate increases for every additional bomb you pick up. This bonus is worth vastly more than anything you could obtain from strategic bombing, and indeed more than any other scoring technique (at the top level, with chaining a close second).
Then I suppose it's allright to bomb once to increase the hit counter on the first boss?
As far as I can tell the bonus doesn't trigger with 3/3 bombs you start with but it does trigger when you move from 2/3 bombs to 3/3 bombs.

Also I got the save states working now, big thanks on that. I'm already starting to get first 2 stages chaining into a better direction. Loop 2 also seems a bit more realistic to me now, I always thought you had to have ALL that checked for that.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Then I suppose it's allright to bomb once to increase the hit counter on the first boss?
As far as I can tell the bonus doesn't trigger with 3/3 bombs you start with but it does trigger when you move from 2/3 bombs to 3/3 bombs.
That's actually some good thinking, but unfortunately you're not allowed to use a bomb there. Going from 3/3 bombs to MAX gives you x2 immediately and going from 2/3 bombs to MAX only gives you x1. Besides this, the bomb on the first boss would give you like 50k additional points and really is worth nothing. The boss hit isn't important at all.
Last edited by Plasmo on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Ruldra wrote:Any particular reason you guys use japan version instead of international?
Japanese texts are less ridiculous because you can't read them.. that's about it :p
LtC wrote:Then I suppose it's allright to bomb once to increase the hit counter on the first boss?
No, what this does is giving you very little points, and then robbing you of a lot more because the next time you pick up a bomb, filling your stock again and getting the maximum bonus, you will get a maximum bonus of x1 instead of x2. Basically by doing that you are losing 220*60 = 13,200 points per second during the whole game, which lasts around 13+18*2 minutes after you pick up that first bomb (*2 for second loop time, which gets twice as much points from maximum bonus), so that's around (13*60+18*2*60)*13.200 = 38,808,000 points total, if you no miss no bomb the whole game. If you can only survive one stage after picking up the bomb bonus and without bombing, that's still about 2 millions, which is a lot more than what you gain for bombing the first boss to get more hits (= 600,000).

Edit : and I got beaten again. :'( !!
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Ruldra wrote:Any particular reason you guys use japan version instead of international?
At first it was out of fear of possible gameplay differences.

Now it's just habit.
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Hey guys, the video of PROME's 2-ALL run is here:
http://www.arcade-extreme.com/post.aspx ... 6a909b6832

Enjoy! Jck did a great work with various versions for it. The "superplay-DVD" one is gorgeous :P
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

And he did all of this playing with a keyboard!
:lol:
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Ruldra wrote:
keyboards own ! Thank you JCK for your work~!
RGC

Post by RGC »

Inspirational, pmt. :)
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Ruldra wrote:
oO oO oO oO
i'm speechless.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

LtC wrote:I was looking for Kamui on the high score forums section but the link on Zach Keene's thread makes it seem the thread is dead. Did something special happen to the thread or did it just 'die'?
It appears that the board's owner deleted his thread after it received no posts. I have now removed it from the High Score Board Index.

Feel free to start a Kamui high score thread if you'd like!
LtC

Post by LtC »

Ltc - 46,645,930 - C-L - 1-6 - 467 Hit

Finally figured out how to chain stage 2, actually this is the first time I managed to do it :). over 30m and 3x MAX on after stage 3 but everything just went trainwreck after that and I ended up getting owned by stage 6 boss without having any extra lives in stock.
Persondude

frantic

Post by Persondude »

Anyone played the flash version of DoDonPachi? Obviously its not near as good, but its pretty fun and you can play it in your browser, im tryin to get the all time high score on it but its tough. http://netigames.com/?game=frantic
captpain

Re: frantic

Post by captpain »

Persondude wrote:Anyone played the flash version of DoDonPachi? Obviously its not near as good, but its pretty fun and you can play it in your browser, im tryin to get the all time high score on it but its tough. http://netigames.com/?game=frantic
Gosh, you're a hilarious and clever troll
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

ptoing - 43,395,570 - C-S - 1-ALL - 237 Hit

Finally 1cc'd the first loop \o/
Pure survival play, but actually managed to have 1 life left at the end :)
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

Updated, sorry plasmo. Nice job with the C-L, LtC, it's great to see someone trying something different...
LtC

Post by LtC »

Ltc - 47,272,660 - C-L - 1-ALL - 204 Hit

Finally managed to 1cc, it felt pretty great considering I never practised anything beyond stage 4 boss. The most hilarious part is that I missed the extend during stage 3 :oops:. I also greatly messed up the chaining of stage 2 this time and I think I had around 6-7 times or more a ~200 hit chain during this run but I always managed to screw it up in the end.

Also, is it just me or is stage 5 lots harder than stage 6?
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

LtC wrote:Also, is it just me or is stage 5 lots harder than stage 6?
Not really, it's about the same difficulty or a little harder.
malik11

Post by malik11 »

PROMETHEUS wrote:
But it's pretty straightforward to chain, compared to stage four or six. :wink:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

malik11 wrote:
PROMETHEUS wrote:
But it's pretty straightforward to chain, compared to stage four or six. :wink:
Yeah I agree.
LtC

Post by LtC »

I suppose it's just the fact that it's easier to screw yourself over during stage 5 and get almost impenetratable walls shot at you if you don't know what you're doing. Stage 6 however seems to be mostly complex dodging and there are less points where you can screw yourself over. I guess I'll just need to practise stage 5 for this.

Chaining was never an issue, stage 5 chaining seems pretty much no-brainer. It's just embarrassing when you get hit or are forced to bomb 4-5 times more in stage 5 than stage 6 ;)