DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

Krondelo

Re: DoDonPachi (New Thread #4)

Post by Krondelo »

Aaaah!!! I finally beat my score! It was so exhilarating! I probably would have made it to the last boss if I didn't have so many unnecessary deaths.
I had so many crazy good dodges on Stage 5, then I have barely any practice on Stage 6 so I bombed through a lot of it, then died shortly before the boss.
The path to Heaven is ridden with bullets of Hell.
Nailgun

Post by Nailgun »

Nailgun - 52,711,340 - A-L - 2-2 - 312

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

This summer I thought I'd get Dodonpachi again and play a few runs just like that.

So I did and today was my fifth run since I started playing again. And I almost beat my score @_____@

I passed this critical point at the end of 2-5 without missing or bombing (bombed once in 2-3 though), my score being at 460M, and I was like "OMG this might be it". Naturally I started getting very nervous at that point. The not-so-hard part that followed at the end of 2-5 took a bomb off me, probably because of my lack of focus due to nervousness. It was still ok, there is a bomb in the early part of 2-6 so I could still get the MAXIMUM bonus going and amass a lot more points. The survival bonus of 2-5 is also pretty big, plus the chain value of 2-6 and all the rest could still have netted me something like 580M.

I faced the 2-5 boss trying to stay calm, doing a okay job at that. But the freaking movings pods got a clean shot at me. Destroying most of my chances. I proceeded to fail at 2-6.

Too bad, maybe next time.
>_<
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Krondelo

Post by Krondelo »

Damn Prometheus, you beast.
The path to Heaven is ridden with bullets of Hell.
Subterranean Sun

Post by Subterranean Sun »

Yes... Nervousness is probably the most annoying and most dangerous thing when shmupping.

There's one time I gets to 2-7 with 3 bombs in stock... And still didn't make it to Hibachi because my hands are shaking like a bastard. I really can't imagine HOW can you get to Hibachi final pattern with a bunch of bombs/ships in stock and still stay calm. You must have a VERY strong mind to actually kill him.
-----------------
EDIT: Picked up the game after 2 months and finally got a somewhat satisfying run...
S.S - 115,553,680 - A-L - 2-6 - 464
Input file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9QOSYVPL (lagless MAME 0.99, Jap version)
I messed up a LOT in 2-2, but I somehow performed some obviously impossible dodge at 2-4 and 2-5...
wtf.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Finally got the 1-ALL clear! Just need to scrounge up about 9mil more points...

Only 50k away from 60th on the board, too :mrgreen:

This was on PCB btw.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I almost finished writing the DDP practicing guide. It became a pretty fat pdf document and should be of great help to anyone who wants to set for the top ranks here, or just get better.

I will probably make a thread about it on the Shmups Chat or Strategy forum, but Ravid, would you mind linking to the file when I release it, in the first post ?

It would be nice if people who come around this topic have a chance to view it.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Awesome news, can't wait to read it!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Prometheus: Thanks very much for doing this! I'm sure it will be excellent. It'd be awesome if it helped me finally get to 100m, I've been looking for motivation to improve my score for a while. :D
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Can't wait. Maybe it can serve as the ST for that game. I've had so much trouble full-chaining Stage 2 that no matter how well I do on the other stages my score is crap.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Happy to see some interest. However guys, don't expect a walkthrough that explains how to deal with each stage. I am writting some specific examples of how to deal with patterns and such things, but most of the guide is advice about "how to practice and perform effectively", which applies to Dodonpachi but also any other shmup.

It's also quite beginner-oriented. I remember when I first joined the forums and started playing shmups specifically, that it was very hard to gather information and make an informed opinion on which games exist, how they differ, is it stupid to play with a keyboard, does MAME equal PCB, etc. I've tried to condense that info in one document so that new comers get access to informed advice much faster.

I did my best so that more advanced players can still enjoy useful thoughts and advice. It's pretty difficult to hit both audiences at the same time, I think I did okay but you guys tell me when I show it to you later. Based on your feedback I may come back and rework it a bit.

Took the liberty of adding a part that tells the "story" of my STG experience, at the end of the document. The playing, the frustrations, the successes, the meeting with other players, etc.. I'm hoping it can be inspiring/interesting to other players, especially new players or anonymous "guests" of this forum who have no idea you can take those games that seriously and travel to different countries just to meet up with other guys and play. I remember Bernard Doria had put his dodonpachi diary online on his site, and as a noob interested in Dodonpachi I was in awe to discover how serious those games can be taken. That's partly what inspired me to add this.

By the way for now the title is "The Full Extent Of The Jam" xD
Follow me on Twitch??
austere

Post by austere »

RNGmaster wrote:I've had so much trouble full-chaining Stage 2
Check this video out. It isn't the easiest full combo path (nor the one that nets you the highest combo for the least amount of effort -- I get about 480, this one gets <470), but it should give you an idea of where all the transition points are.

I'm looking forward to it, Prometheus. I hope you don't get prosecutedt!
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

austere wrote:
RNGmaster wrote:I've had so much trouble full-chaining Stage 2
Check this video out. It isn't the easiest full combo path (nor the one that nets you the highest combo for the least amount of effort -- I get about 480, this one gets <470), but it should give you an idea of where all the transition points are.
Yeah that's exactly why I'm not writing a walkthrough, because a superplay video is more of an excellent walkthrough than any piece of text.

Instead I'm using some examples inside DDP to talk about dodging techniques or other concepts.
Follow me on Twitch??
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

PROMETHEUS wrote:By the way for now the title is "The Full Extent Of The Jam" xD
I definitely approve of this title!
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

PROMETHEUS wrote:Happy to see some interest. However guys, don't expect a walkthrough that explains how to deal with each stage. I am writting some specific examples of how to deal with patterns and such things, but most of the guide is advice about "how to practice and perform effectively", which applies to Dodonpachi but also any other shmup.

It's also quite beginner-oriented. I remember when I first joined the forums and started playing shmups specifically, that it was very hard to gather information and make an informed opinion on which games exist, how they differ, is it stupid to play with a keyboard, does MAME equal PCB, etc. I've tried to condense that info in one document so that new comers get access to informed advice much faster.

I did my best so that more advanced players can still enjoy useful thoughts and advice. It's pretty difficult to hit both audiences at the same time, I think I did okay but you guys tell me when I show it to you later. Based on your feedback I may come back and rework it a bit.

Took the liberty of adding a part that tells the "story" of my STG experience, at the end of the document. The playing, the frustrations, the successes, the meeting with other players, etc.. I'm hoping it can be inspiring/interesting to other players, especially new players or anonymous "guests" of this forum who have no idea you can take those games that seriously and travel to different countries just to meet up with other guys and play. I remember Bernard Doria had put his dodonpachi diary online on his site, and as a noob interested in Dodonpachi I was in awe to discover how serious those games can be taken. That's partly what inspired me to add this.

By the way for now the title is "The Full Extent Of The Jam" xD
Sounds really nice, and I get that you don't need to incorporate specific strategies. Thanks, and I hope it arrives soon.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I just played a beautiful run with nearly no mistakes so I thought I'd post it in case someone wants to see some more DDP action.

The score is 483M, first miss at 2-6, and only 1 bad miss at hibachi with like 4 bombs in stock. It was just solid ! I bombed at one or two key points when I was very highly threatened but very reasonably, and minus that 2-6 miss I would probably have broken my record. I've noticed recently that I'm quite a bit better than I was before.

There is MAMELagless + the replay in "replay" folder :
http://www.mediafire.com/?3ekm2b3pp2eh946

(add ddonpach + ddonpachj in the "roms" folder)
Follow me on Twitch??
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Link seems to be broken?
I like chocolate milk

MoonZ

Post by MoonZ »

PROMETHEUS wrote:I've noticed recently that I'm quite a bit better than I was before.
I guess it helps not having someone to accidentally pull the video cable off during a live superplay :wink:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

MoonZ wrote:
PROMETHEUS wrote:I've noticed recently that I'm quite a bit better than I was before.
I guess it helps not having someone to accidentally pull the video cable off during a live superplay :wink:
Hehe that was okay I was out of bombs at that moment and the run wasn't going to score well anyway. Too bad I didn't nearly manage a 2-ALL there, maybe next time ;]

Plasmo > Link isn't broken when I try it
Follow me on Twitch??
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I can't download it somehow... :cry:
I like chocolate milk

moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Temporary mirror for Plasmo.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

<3
I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Downloaded it, but Mame won't audit the roms?! What's wrong with it.
I like chocolate milk

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Plasmo wrote:Downloaded it, but Mame won't audit the roms?! What's wrong with it.
I guess you need to change the rom directories in "options"/"directories".
Follow me on Twitch??
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Yep that's it, very nice replay! :)
I like chocolate milk

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

uh oh.. I got something nice coming up. I'll upload it tonight or tomorrow, not enough time to take care of it now, cause I got a train to catch.

@___@

geez that was some serious prosecution
Follow me on Twitch??
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

austere wrote:Check this video out. It isn't the easiest full combo path (nor the one that nets you the highest combo for the least amount of effort -- I get about 480, this one gets <470), but it should give you an idea of where all the transition points are.
I surely didn't expect to run into an old video of mine again, it's funny to look back at it since I'd get the bees and higher hits now 2 years later.

I do look forward to your personal little story Prometheus, I used to play this game religiously but stage 5 would always ruin me and the 2nd loop would end me by the stage 3 boss on all but one of my runs.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

All right, this is the thing.

I played a run yesterday and broke my record.
I know some people enjoy watching my replays and I thought it could be more fun for them if they didn't know anything about the run before seeing it, so I'm not posting the score or commentaries yet. I'll post them in a few days.

I do not think I will try to improve this score again any time soon, maybe ever...

This is a tense, tense run, with a lot of stress, risk management, and some shocking reversals.
Nothing special happens in the first loop, as usual, since it just has to be perfect, so I suggest you fast forward to the second loop using F10.

MAME + Replay + Playback Instructions :
http://www.mediafire.com/?0tevdp9643b7o7c

Enjoy !
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitch??
Sapz

Post by Sapz »

Wow! That run was absolutely incredible! Congrats, man!
STGT '11 - #1 | STGT '12 - #1