Truxton

ave

Re: Truxton

Post by ave »

Overall the MD-port is a bit easier compared to the arcade version because of the shield if you upgrade your ship to its final form (red shot) and because power ups keep appearing, making it possible to hoard them (and upgrade to form 3 immediately after one death).

But then again the screen is much smaller than the arcade original's: Some safespots at midbosses won't work anymore or are remarkably reduced in size, making it hard to exploit them without dying. In addition, some boss-battles are becoming much more of a close-range encounter, i.e. the final bosses in stage 5. That makes them fairly hard compared to the already really challenging arcade pcb.
THE ETERNAL
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

ChainsawGuitarSP wrote:Feels remarkably easier than most Toaplan games on the MD. I may actually be able to clear this! :mrgreen:
I want to read your opinion once you reach the last area and have to deal with all those bullets blending with the background. :twisted:
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

I actually did a bit of credit feeding today after I died at the stage 4 boss. The bullets from what I've seen so far are all blue. 8)
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
RGC

Post by RGC »

RGC - 1-5 - 1,310,270 - [Megadrive]

a couple of deaths and you're doomed in the face of those meteors
Mills

Post by Mills »

the allett

Post by the allett »

The Allett - 2-2 - 1,587,810 - [jap Megadrive]
In the words of an alcholic, have another drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Mx7 - 1,367,810 - 1-5 - Mega Drive (60hz)

Used to get stoned and loop the PAL version of this game before I really knew about the genre. NTSC version is a lot faster, but I think I can crack it.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Despatche - 622,740 - Area 112 - MAME

meh
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Mills

Post by Mills »

Already posted this on youtube thread but figured on posting here as well. NO USE OF BOMBS AND DODGES THROUGHOUT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_qoaWIC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di4AbOKEYkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnqaoYJ5Cc
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Mills wrote:Already posted this on youtube thread but figured on posting here as well. NO USE OF BOMBS AND DODGES THROUGHOUT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_qoaWIC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di4AbOKEYkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSnqaoYJ5Cc
Also cheats.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Mills

Post by Mills »

How does he cheat?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Mills wrote:How does he cheat?
Check my reply in the YouTube thread.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Mills

Post by Mills »

Can't find your reply. Why don't just say here instead of me wasting time looking through a load of comments?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Yeah, that replay becomes obvious cheating during the later stages.
emphatic wrote:Pretty sure that guy's using invincibility. Check collision around 03:26 when a popcorn enemy is killed even though it's behind the player ship. Though he claims otherwise himself:
MAMEPlayer on Youtube wrote: All games have been emulated with MameUI32, I have never used cheats, TAS or Tool Assisted either before or during the game, use only the SaveState.

- What are SaveState?

SaveState = Save the current state of the game an option available to anyone with the MAMEUI32.

- What do I need to make videos like yours?

1 - The emulator MameUI32

2 - A video recorder

3 - A video editor

- How can you not show the video when you make a SaveState?

;)

- I saw that hit you and not die because?

This is a side effect of SaveState, it does not occur often and is limited only to the edges as if the sprites collision were reduced but the game must still be completed with capacity.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

savestate is half of ta

idgi
NIK

Post by NIK »

Hello, first time poster here :D Great forum, and cracking thread! Truxton is perhaps my all-time favourite shooter, and I've recently been rediscovering it through Mame (99.99% perfect emulation by the way - just use a proper stick). Now I'm completing the game regularly again I've set myself a couple of challenges. First one is to complete it without using any bombs, second is to play all the way through using Green only. Has either been achieved yet? I think I’m ready to give up on the first challenge, the 5th level’s mini-bosses in particular seem impossible without a fluke.

Will post a score up sometime, but the best I’m looking at is 3rd place - ARM and DEL’s scores are off the scale :shock:
DEL

Post by DEL »

NIK:
Will post a score up sometime, but the best I’m looking at is 3rd place - ARM and DEL’s scores are off the scale
Welcome aboard NIK.
Getting more than 10mil on Truxton took me a year of on/off play. 2 loops took 2 weeks, 3 loops an extra week, but 7 loops+ took a lot longer. You have to know how to recover from a checkpoint death at any position in the game, and at 3rd loop bullet speed.

Your aim of completeing it without any bombs maybe possible, but my personal opinion is that its unnecessary, as this game was definitely designed for intentional bomb usage. Its not like a modern game in that way. Such as a Cave game rewarding you for no bombing.

The other aim of green firepower only...I've never heard of anyone trying it, but I guess its possible.
Do you know about the bug where if you switch from green to laser as you encounter a Boss - the Boss will die almost immediately?
This can be done on the Last Boss.
Also, if you switch from laser to blue as you encounter a Boss - the opposite happens and the blue does no damage whatsoever and you have to suicide.
NIK

Post by NIK »

Thanks for the welcome. I struggle badly enough on the second loop, I can't imagine mastering the third, or even having the energy to carry on! I'm aware of the switching lasers bug, I've stumbled across a couple of others too. Gold to blue on the last boss is also a very quick kill. On the other hand blue to green towards the end of the second level makes those rail ships a nightmare. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of logic to it but it adds to the charm.

I'm happy you don't think the game can be completed without bombs, I wasn't sure if there were any safespots I was missing.
NIK

Post by NIK »

Had a play tonight and recorded a score of 1485940, stage 235. Using Mame, no autofire.

Not my best effort, but it will have to do for now as I have no other records to go on. Made a hash of the 3rd level so lost out on the 5000 point pick-up trail, also had to dodge the end boss!

To correct an earlier post, you can also get a 2UP at the start of the 5th level if you die early and go from level 3 to 5 without losing a life.
NIK

Post by NIK »

Another run with a few less silly mistakes: 1577110, stage 273. Not far off where I was getting in the arcades over 20 years ago, so will move onto something else now I think...
MX7

Post by MX7 »

MXZ - 103 - 563,660 - MAME

And if you're accepting 50hz Mega Drive scores...

MXZ - 2-4 - 2,188,440 - Mega Drive (PAL)
MX7

Post by MX7 »

MXZ - 109 - 608,030 - MAME

EDIT

MXZ - 126 - 709,400 - MAME
MJR

Post by MJR »

Got my arcade cabinet fixed; maybe I can beat my old highscore..

..it kinda bothers me that I was never able to beat the arcade version, even with continues. The last boss is such overkill.
DEL

Post by DEL »

MJR - You can kill the last boss in either one of two ways. You can exploit the glitch and switch from Green firepower to Laser as it opens up its first salvo, and it will die immediately.
Or you can stay directly in the middle beneath it and make small dodges.

:D
MJR

Post by MJR »

DEL wrote:MJR - You can kill the last boss in either one of two ways. You can exploit the glitch and switch from Green firepower to Laser as it opens up its first salvo, and it will die immediately.

Thanks, I will try that out today! :)
Mills

Post by Mills »

DEL wrote:MJR - You can kill the last boss in either one of two ways. You can exploit the glitch and switch from Green firepower to Laser as it opens up its first salvo, and it will die immediately.

Didn't even know about that tip for the last boss.
kidpanda

Post by kidpanda »

Kidpanda - 719,780 - Stage 1-5 - Mega Drive
Spoiler
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Are the US (Genny) / JP MD ports identical? I have a JP cart and will probably give this a whirl if I find some time in the next few days...
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
kidpanda

Post by kidpanda »

KindGrind wrote:Are the US (Genny) / JP MD ports identical? I have a JP cart and will probably give this a whirl if I find some time in the next few days...

I'm not sure, but my cart is a Truxton cart but I flip my region switch and it's Tatsujin.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

iirc jp is slightly harder like most of the md toaplan ports