Radiant Silver Grandious

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
undamned

Radiant Silver Grandious

Post by undamned »

Well, I probably don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said, but I basically just want to convey the fact (appology) that I've poopoo'ed RS far too much in the time that I haven't owned it. I scorned it's praise and ridiculous prices, having a viewpoint of people praising it higher than it aught to be, to ease the pain of their exuberant purchase.

Well, I recently picked up an ST-V set (for the second time) with Soukyugurentai (for the second time) AND Radiant Silvergun. I popped in the cart to play around for a bit and ended up playing for quite a while. This game is disgusting.

Some games have great scoring depth (Cave), others have depth because of their many options (Konami). Others intriguing animation or art that draws you in (Psikyo). You all who know me here, know that I am a pretty stout critic, so hear me when I say: This game has it all. Truely a crowning achievement in gaming at large.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Ord

Post by Ord »

It's pretty good eh? :wink: I'm glad you've finally got to enjoy it ud. :)
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
llabnip

Re: Radiant Silver Grandious

Post by llabnip »

undamned wrote:Some games have great scoring depth (Cave), others have depth because of their many options (Konami). Others intriguing animation or art that draws you in (Psikyo). You all who know me here, know that I am a pretty stout critic, so hear me when I say: This game has it all. Truely a crowning achievement in gaming at large.
Ok... so what have you done with undammed?!

Heh! I guess I assume you're serious and have seen the light ;) So I'll just add my defacto statement that Radiant Sivergun is one of those games that just blends everything together with such... class... everything came together perfectly and Treasure has crafted a stunning game. Enjoy what is, in my opinion, the best shooter to grace any hardware.

The games price, notwithstanding. I see the Saturn version still goes for $150 on ebay - which is a steal. New games for modern consoles cost $50 and a typical new import is $65-ish... is Radiant Sivergun worth 2-3 other good games? In my opinion, yes. For me, the current price is still undervalued based on the sheer enjoyment it brings me.

...though these threads always attract the nay-sayers... which is fine... everyone is entitled to their opinion... even if it's wrong ;)
Last edited by llabnip on Thu May 05, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
Jon

Post by Jon »

We need to play through the Saturn mode 2player next time we get together Brian. Some of the cooler boss fights in the game are exclusive to the Saturn rev.
Nei First

Re: Radiant Silver Grandious

Post by Nei First »

llabnip wrote:
undamned wrote:Some games have great scoring depth (Cave), others have depth because of their many options (Konami). Others intriguing animation or art that draws you in (Psikyo). You all who know me here, know that I am a pretty stout critic, so hear me when I say: This game has it all. Truely a crowning achievement in gaming at large.
Ok... so what have you done with undammed?!

Heh! I guess I assume you're serious and have seen the light ;) So I'll just add my defacto statement that Radiant Sivergun is one of those games that just blends everything together with such... class... everything came together perfectly and Treasure has crafted a stunning game. Enjoy what is, in my opinion, the best shooter to grace any hardware.

The games price, notwithstanding. I see the Saturn version still goes for $150 on ebay - which is a steal. New games for modern consoles cost $50 and a typical new import is $65-ish... is Radiant Sivergun worth 2-3 other good games? In my opinion, yes. For me, the current price is still undervalued based on the sheer enjoyment it brings me.

...though these threads always attract the nay-sayers... which is fine... everyone is entitled to their opinion... even if it's wrong ;)
I do agree Radiant Silvergun is an amazing game, one of the best shmups I've played, but I refuse to pay that sort of money for "one game". It's just way too much cash than is necessary. I know for me, I'd be pissed every time I'd look at the game knowing how much I'd spent on it, regardless how good it is.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Pretty sure you have at least $150 worth of terrible games in your collection, but you don't get pissed looking at them? :wink:

Having said that, I kinda wish I hung on to my copies and gave them a little more time. The game sure didn't click with me, but I'm wanting to give it another try about now. But, ugh... those eBay prices...
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

mannerbot wrote:Having said that, I kinda wish I hung on to my copies and gave them a little more time. The game sure didn't click with me, but I'm wanting to give it another try about now. But, ugh... those eBay prices...
Copies?! You had more than one! I'm jealous...

The good news is that as long as someone stays at or under the average price, you'll sell it back (as needed) for about the same price. It's not like a modern game - you blow $50 and then play it for a bit and a few months later you trade it back in and get peanuts. Silvergun has held it's price for years now... it flucutates but the price is really not an issue: if it turns out you don't like it, sell it back for what would amount to a "rental fee" at worst... and if you love it... !
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

mannerbot wrote:Pretty sure you have at least $150 worth of terrible games in your collection, but you don't get pissed looking at them? :wink:

Having said that, I kinda wish I hung on to my copies and gave them a little more time. The game sure didn't click with me, but I'm wanting to give it another try about now. But, ugh... those eBay prices...
$150 worth of "terrible" games? maybe you do but not me pal. :wink:
jp

Post by jp »

Um, I agree. Radiant Silvergun is the shit. And IMO the best most solid shmup ever made.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

Undamned, you should really give the saturn version a spin. it's a bit more polished and even has a slew of the most amazing bosses in shmupping history that aren't in the arcade version.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

*thumbs up* to two great STV purchases, ud. :) For all the hype and overexposure by the media, Radiant really is a masterpiece and even if you don't like it, you cannot deny it is one beautiful, complex and very carefully designed shooter.

Man, I'll never forget that Tuesday evening back in February 2000 when I played Radiant Silvergun and Souky for the first time. I had bought them both on the cheap months before my Saturn finally arrived that day. My brother liked them so well he couldn't decide which was better. "Hey Evan, which of those do you think is better?" I asked. "I dunno, bro. I think you have a couple of real winners here." Very true.

As soon as I 1CC Batsugun for the first time (I hope tonight or this weekend) I am gonna start playing RS again and learn more chaning then finally get the hang of Souky's rank.
NoboruWataya

Post by NoboruWataya »

I'll jump on the bandwagon here, I love Silvergun also. It didn't click with me when I first got it about a year and a half ago, and I would come back to it periodically. Then one day I got totally hooked and played it exclusively for about a month, it is such a good game.

I remember a long time ago someone posted an article about how RS is not all it's made out to be, along with a pic of i being used as a coaster (for a drink). Does anyone still have that link, I'd like to check it out again with some perspective this time.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

I read that article sometime ago and it is almost as bad as the IC Ketsui article. The guy wastes his time pointing out pieces of RSG that were done in other games first.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

A lot of the must own shmups have shot over $100 of late though, so what are you going to do? Its also a point where you have to realize that most new games are $50 anyway. Is RSG worth three Devil May Cry 3's? Probably so.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

CMoon wrote:A lot of the must own shmups have shot over $100 of late though, so what are you going to do? Its also a point where you have to realize that most new games are $50 anyway. Is RSG worth three Devil May Cry 3's? Probably so.
Considering that alot of new stinkers cost $50 a pop anyway. Then it makes sense that for three crappy games that'll you play for only a week and then get tired of, you can get only one, but truely awesome game for the same amount of money.

I know it's expensive and it sucks, but what else are you going to blow your money on? :lol:
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

NoboruWataya wrote:I remember a long time ago someone posted an article about how RS is not all it's made out to be, along with a pic of i being used as a coaster (for a drink). Does anyone still have that link, I'd like to check it out again with some perspective this time.
I believe that was our long gone former reviewer Felix the Cat's 2001 Shmups 4th anniversary special article.

EDIT:

Here is the main shmups week 2001 hub, check out the other articles, some fun stuff there (man, talk about memories, where'd the time go? Now it's what? 8 years):

http://www.classicgaming.com/features/a ... shmupsweek

And Felix's controversial Radiant editorial:

http://www.classicgaming.com/features/a ... k/radiant/

And I totally agree with Fat Cobra, Radiant will give you endless replay value compared to a modern Capcom game. Sure it cost me $150, but if I have to forgo 3 lesser games for a lifetime's worth of replay value then so be it.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Dylan1CC wrote:
And I totally agree with Fat Cobra, Radiant will give you endless replay value compared to a modern Capcom game. Sure it cost me $150, but if I have to forgo 3 lesser games for a lifetime's worth of replay value then so be it.
The thing is, I love Capcom's recent efforts (DMC3, RE4, Zelda: Minish Cap), but rather I'm just making the point that games are expensive--period. And yeah, RSG is surely better than those three, even though each of them is damn fine.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

If I wouldn't have already bought SilverGun when it was first released, today, I would rather just buy 3 copies of Devil May Cry 3!!

Basically, the only game from Treasure that I really like/enjoy is Gunstar Hero's.
Radiant SilverGun is one of those games that I simply have to be "in the mood" for. Which means, I probably play it once a year for 5 minutes...then after that, I'm pretty much, "Ahhh, screw this!" Yes, the friggin game BORES me!
:?
russ

Post by russ »

Normally I'm not one to conform or give into hype, and I was really skeptical about spending so much money on a game released 7 years ago... but after I got my copy, I felt ashamed for ever doubting it.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Slightly OT, I ripped a RS Promo video from a Flash Sega Saturn if anyone wants to see it. It's got like 5 seconds of character animation, and then gameplay with introduction. Nothing amazing, but seeing as how most people here (me included) like anything that has to do with the games we like...
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

llabnip wrote:Copies?! You had more than one! I'm jealous...
Yeah, I managed to score a deal when an eBay seller made a typo and I just happened to search for "sega saturn" and stumbled onto his auction with 5 minutes left. :lol: Sold that one since I just didn't enjoy playing it, but then a while later I bought another copy. After selling that one, I thought I was done... third time the charm?
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

For me RS was love at first sight, and I have never regretted spending that hard earned $150 (though I do wish that my copy were mint, as it was described to my on eBay :x ). I will never sell my copy. I wish to be buried with it. Well, maybe not-- I guess I want future generations to get pleasure from it as well!
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

Another falls into the fold

Yessssss, Track down a Saturn version.
Yessssss,

very soon, YOU TOO, will know the meaning.....

of XIGA
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Heck, no. Stop threads like this. They just bump up the price of the game.

RADIANT SILVERGUN IS A HORRIBLE GAME, AND IT DESERVES TO BE IN A $5 BARGAIN BIN.

Spread the word.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
NoboruWataya

Post by NoboruWataya »

Thaks for the links.
Konami's Incompleteness Theorem
That is the funniest thing I have ever read.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

[quote="UnscathedFlyingObject"]Heck, no. Stop threads like this. They just bump up the price of the game.

RADIANT SILVERGUN IS A HORRIBLE GAME, AND IT DESERVES TO BE IN A $5 BARGAIN BIN.

Spread the word.[/quote

No worries here Wing...if someone takes my honest opinions to heart, the game shouldn't skyrocket in price. At least not on my account.

To me, the most beautiful game on the Sega Saturn would be Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

Games like Radiant SilverGun should be either PIRATED TO ALL HELL., or re-released as a "second printing" to give others a chance. Hey, I don't think its "all that", but some people would LOVE to check it out. (No, mine's NOT for sale either)
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Now that I think about it...it would be really nice if Treasure released a "double pack/collection" for the PS2, just like so many other companies are doing.
Just think about it...Radiant SilverGun and Ikaruga on the same DVD! I'm sure the cover art would be awesome as well!! They could even include Gunstar Hero's as an "unlockable".

BTW: I hope someone from Treasure reads this post and considers it. (yea, I'm trying to do the World a favor here) :D
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Now that you mention that, Twitch, I have a pirated copy that a fuckwad at ebay sold me as an original. Who wants it?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Blargh, I wanted to say a few things about Silvergun and it's impact on society and other such nonsense. I ended up with this huge essay of a post that I'll graciously refrain from eating the site's bandwidth.

So, I'll only say this: 65,536 bonus points to Undamned for taking the plunge. No one, under any circumstance, should dismiss or talk shit about a game they've never played and the people who enjoy it, shmup or otherwise.

P.S. Fuck Felix the Cat and his article. Remember, this is the guy who once ripped off fellow shmups.com members for hundreds of dollars worth of stuff and abruptly disappeared from the community, leaving his creditors high and dry. Uh, unless he's resolved the issues since. In any case, at present, I find his credibility, and thus his opinion, to be insignificant.
Dartagnan1083

Post by Dartagnan1083 »

I'd like to think that many people that complain about silvergun have actually played it.

It's all a matter of taste anyway.
Some people don't like Toplan, some don't like Treasure, some don't like RS. Then some refuse to pay more than $50 for a game.

Some more are willing to spend $80 on Goldeneye (was good, but NOT that good).

Since the game is playable on MAME I do think more people should try it out.
But they won't quite get the full experience that way. So in essece...the game is already pirated to hell.

In any case....
Xiga is a much better boss than the Bacterion Brain :wink:
currently collecting a crapload of coasters, carts, controllers, and consoles
Track my "Progress"