Missouri Cave Matsuri - Nov 1st 2008

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
drboom

Post by drboom »

caldwert wrote:
- Guwange
- Outzone
- Battle Garegga
I just want to say that I'm dying to play these. Thanks for bringing them!
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Dude, if you end up getting the Aero Table in the truck, I'm sure someone at the shmeet is going to name their first child after you! :lol:

You guys rock! (Insert "hand with devil horns" emoticon here)
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
Joe T.

Post by Joe T. »

If anyone attending is interested in trading...I'm kind of looking to trade a Fever SOS board for something of comparable value/interest to me. Anyone have a Galuda I they might want to part with?

Boards I'll bring:

Muchi Muchi Pork!
Espgaluda II
maybe Battle Bakraid (looks like we've got the other Raizing games covered)
Fever SOS
drboom

Post by drboom »

I may be interested in that Fever SOS board, but the only thing I have for trade fodder is my Strikers 1945. I may be interested in a cash deal - but we can talk. I'm pretty excited to play both MMP and Fever SOS, so kudos to bringing them down.

Sounds like there will be a lot of Cave stuff - possibly everything up to 2006 or so, right? And...maybe something newer...
drboom

Post by drboom »

gunbird18 wrote:Dude, if you end up getting the Aero Table in the truck, I'm sure someone at the shmeet is going to name their first child after you! :lol:

You guys rock! (Insert "hand with devil horns" emoticon here)
Hey, anything I can do to make this even more crazy. It will definately be a tight fit, but I'd love to bring it down.

It's not perfect by any means - the monitor has a pin cushion issue - but I've been playing DOJ on it with bat top sticks and it plays just fine.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I can bring Dangun as well, for purists, lol. Just in case anyone cares and wants to compare the two.

Funny thing about Outzone is I've had that for 2 Jamma rounds. I originally had an Astro City in 2002, sold it and most of my good shit in 2005. I sold Guwange for $100 and ESPrade for $100 as well. Outzone was just sitting in a box of shit that I was just too lazy to sell. I think I paid $38 off Ebay for it. I remember at the time thinking that was BIG BUCKS. Same thing when I paid $130 for Guwange. Oh how I wish I would have bought 10 of those back then. I sold my Astro City and Fixeight for $500 at that time too, wish I hadn't done that but I got both back and actually made money in the deal.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

I sold Guwange for $100 and ESPrade for $100 as well. Outzone was just sitting in a box of shit that I was just too lazy to sell. I think I paid $38 off Ebay for it. I remember at the time thinking that was BIG BUCKS. Same thing when I paid $130 for Guwange.
Stop! I am literally shedding tears on my keyboard.

Yes! Go ahead and bring Dangun, as my board is in another state and has some glitches anyway.

Bakraid will be fun. I would love to see that on the Egret. Batrider is amazing in the cab. I had played it for so long on MAME and a dinky computer monitor. When I got the board and plugged it into the Egret...WOW...the graphics seemed to leap out of the monitor at you, the sprites are so big and detailed!
"When you can say you love shooting games, I get the sense you’re no longer a normal person. (laughs)" - S. Yagawa
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Hahahaha. Some of the prices I acquired stuff at recently might make you shed tears too. Been known to creep up on some deals. Mainly through the import store in St. Charles or just talking my way into buying people's shit that I know they don't play anymore.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Import store in St. Charles??? You will have to tell us about this at the meet. I figured Gamestops are going to be the norm for us here in the Midwest...You've heard of these stores, right? They only sell Guitar Hero III and Guitar Hero accesories... 8)
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Yeah, there's an import store in St. Charles. I can tell you all about it. Its an amusing place. Joe and I are pretty good friends with the owner/sole employee and he knows his stuff and prices are usually very very fair. Its where a good portion of my PCBs have come from and my cabinets.
stuminator

Post by stuminator »

Hey Joe, I'll trade a Strikers 1945 II for the Fever SOS. :P :wink:

Actually, if anyone wants my Saturn ports of Strikers I, II, or Donpachi I'll gladly sell them. I don't need 'em anymore since I've got the PCBs.
drboom

Post by drboom »

:lol: Everything fits - here's a good shot of the Astro City and the Aero Table packed in tight! We got the pcb's, flat screen tv and other gear in after this, but you can barely see the cabs at that point...
On our way!
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

That is awesome!!! :D

That Aero Table is so tiny!

This is going to be one for the record books! Looking forward to seeing everyone here tomorrow. If you need directions again or my cell number, just shoot me a PM.
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I didn't realize this was an Aero City Table, that should be interesting to see for sure. I will start combing the dungeon of Jamma boards down here to make sure I have everything lined up for tomorrow.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Shmups on a cocktail cabinet sounds cuh-razy.
I'm stoked!!!
!!!
That is Galactic Dancing
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

Readied:

Guwange, comes with Thunder and Lightning 2 since they're in the same box
Battle Garegga
Outzone
Fixeight
Omega Fighter Special
Raiden Fighters
Raiden Fighters 2
Raiden Fighters Jet, special rogue HK version
Great Mahou Daisukaisen aka Dimahoo
Strikers 1945 Plus MVS

A special Toaplan surprise appearance as well!

I had boards stored in places I had forgotten about. I also found games that I forgot about as well. Plus I found a box of boards that was hidden under one of my pinball machines.
tendollarbanana

Post by tendollarbanana »

I'm new to shmups and these forums, but its very cool that something this awesome is happening fairly close to where I live (Springfield, MO). I hope its real awesome and I hope that you guys plan another one in the future!
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Hey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry you didn't see this thread earlier. We are having an awesome shmeet! We have 3 cabs, and 2 Tated TVs going right now. We have so many games here, it is hard to choose where to sit down and start playing!

We should have another one in the near future. Maybe the KC or STL guys can host the next one.
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

Man, I'm sorry to have missed this one! Szycag was telling me it's one for the record books. Maybe next time :P
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Yeah, we had quite a variety of shmups, and near-shmups to choose from!

Cave, of course, sto the sho...no surprise there.

Out-of-the-blue-pcb was a tie between stuminator for the Konami Simpsons Beat-em-up, and caldwert with Toaplan's Demon World.

Special Cave surprise was Deathsmiles, courtesy of drboom's friend Dave/by way of EOJ. Thank you gentlemen!

Conversation piece of the meet was drboom's Aero Table. Heavy SOB, but a ton of fun.

Plenty of pics taken, may show up on drboom's blogspot.
geckohaven

Post by geckohaven »

Had a great time today gunbird. thanks for the invite.
szycag

Post by szycag »

THE MEET EVER!

It was rad meeting you guys, I especially liked drboom's stories about the TG guys and the rare finds and stuff. Caldwert was a boss. And gunbird18 the gracious host! Hope you enjoyed Rez HD etc.
That is Galactic Dancing
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I'll assume boss is a good thing, haha. I had a great time talking games and playing games yesterday. Stuminator was ridiculously good. I kept sitting there thinking WOW while watching him play. I always like watching people play games just to see different strategies that you never thought of. Deathsmiles was really cool, even if I had no clue what the hell I was doing scorewise. Progear was cool to see as well. I'd have to give the edge to Deathsmiles since the art reminded me a lot of Cotton, then again knowing what's going on might change my opinion.

Definitely cool to meet everyone. I didn't say much about it at the meet, but that pulled pork was outrageously good. Thanks to Todd for hosting, it was really nice to have us all over. I didn't realize how noisy it is to live in the city til we were at your house. Really nice to have some quiet save for cabinets blasting shooters.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Yeah, you know like Bruce Springsteen, or Hibachi.
That is Galactic Dancing
stuminator

Post by stuminator »

This was a really great day. Thanks to Todd for hosting, and to Bob, Joe, Dave & the doctor for bringing tons of Cave boards (and not only 1, but 2 cabs! 8) ) I see my Psikyo boards didn't get much action with all the other cool stuff everyone brought... :roll:
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I was going to play the Dragon Blaze, but after watching you play I figured I would just watch, haha. I could have a Shmupmeet here sometime I suppose, but there's room for about 4 people, so that doesn't really work all that well. Be a HELL of a lot easier if I had a walk out basement.
drboom

Post by drboom »

It was a total blast for me and Dave as well. Having a chance to play so many great titles in one place was so much fun.

I placed all the photos I took on photobucket in their own folder right here

EDIT: I also did a write up of the event on my blog - click the link in my sig - with a number of the pictures as well.

Many kudos to gunbird18 (Todd) for hosting - a very gracious host and that BBQ was awesome - and to all the guys who brought the pcb madness. Big props to caldwert for bringing so many rare titles like Guwange, Fixeight and Out Zone and his buddy Joe for bringing MMP, which is now at the top of my must buy list.

Stuminator killed Batsugun and Dragon Blaze with extreme prejudice and man, you can play some games. Watching you make the second loop in Batsusgun was inspiring.

Surprise hit of the event was playing MMP, but getting a chance to play Guwange is a close second. Playing on gunbird18's Egret II definately makes me want one. So easy to use and rotate the monitor.
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

Thank you very much for all of the compliments! It was a blast hosting the meet, but you guys made it happen with all of the fantastic shmup titles.

Big shout out to drboom and Dave! Drove 6 plus hours to bring 2 cabs and some outstanding titles.

Thank you caldwert, Joe T., stuminator, and syzcag for coming to the meet and also bringing your A-list titles!

I can't believe I missed stuminator's run through Batsugun!!! What was I doing???

Thank you Doug, Nick, and John (geckohaven, here on the boards) for coming over and taking part in this thing we call a shmupmeet. Doug and Nick are shmup virgins (snigger). So they were broke in real good!

Thanks for everything, guys! Until the next meet......

gunbird18
caldwert

Post by caldwert »

I missed Stuminator's run as well. I don't know where I was.
drboom

Post by drboom »

It was a helluva run, thats for sure. If I had any sense, I would have taken a few more pictures of it! I mostly sat by and watched the madness.