Mushihime-sama OST GET!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kiken

Mushihime-sama OST GET!

Post by Kiken »

My LE release of the Mushihime OST + Figure set arrived last night... which couldn't have had more perfect timing, as I was seriously depressed yesterday.

The music is absolutely fantastic. There are so many themes and melodies that get drowned out during gameplay in each of tracks. Is it just me or have Cave really been producing insane music recently? Not that their older games were bad musically, per se (except Progear), it just seemed to me that the music was slightly more incidental in nature. However, their releases over the past 4 years have been excellent:
Kizuna Jigoku-tachi: Ketsui
Dodonpachi: Daioujou
ESPGaluda
Mushihime-sama

I'm really interested to hear the OST for Ibara. Does anyone know who's handling the music? Did Cave bring in Mananbu Namiki to give us another Battle Garegga?

Back to the main post, the Mushi CD. It includes the 13 game tracks, the loke test version of the stage 1 music, the Mushihime cel-phone game music track (which must be for MP3-enabled phones), 3 stage remixes (levels 1, 3 and 4), and a voice track. 19 tracks total.

My only complaint with the CD, is that Cave should have remixed the stage 5 music instead of stage 3 (which is argueably the least-best track in the game). But, this is a very minor thing.

As for the figure, well, for those of you who haven't been over to click-stick and taken a look at the numerous photos taken by the webmaster at DOAONLINE, let me simply say that Reko forgot her underoos... and she's anatomically correct.

The back of the CD manual includes an advertisement (of sorts) for Ibara. A slip of paper included with the figure advertises the upcoming Mushi puzzle game. And of course, a slip-out page in the manual features advertisements for all of Cave's cel-phone games. Also, a special thank-you letter from Cave is included with the set.

Anybody else receive their's yet?
hikarutilmitt

Post by hikarutilmitt »

Yeah, I got my CD+Figure on Saturday. I've more or less been listening to it non-stop since then. It's nothing but awesome and the figure is sitting on my computer desk amongst all of my other anime/game figures.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Who's the composer for Mushihime? Other works from him include?
X - P - B
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Mine arrived yesterday. Ripped to VBR MP3, uploaded to iPod, listened until batteries completely drained out at work last night.

I agree that they should have remixed stage 5's BGM instead of stage 3, but can't really complain as the OST itself is excellent. Getting to hear the loketest BGM in high quality is pretty nice, although I prefer Dynasty over it. And the boss track, Levi = Sense, sends a bit of a tingle up my spine.

And the DOAONLINE webmaster just chopped Reko from the tree stump, and has a few nice pics of her in different standing and seating poses with the stump rearrangement. THIS LINK IS NOT ENTIRELY WORK-SAFE! Especially since Reko is a 15 year old, and she appears to have gone nopan. Naughty naughty, CAVE ;)

I wonder what the figure that will come with the LE edition of the PS2 game will look like...
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Icarus wrote: I wonder what the figure that will come with the LE edition of the PS2 game will look like...
Actually, I think Cave have shown us a the upcoming Reko child figure.

Look on the back of the advertisement for the Mushihime puzzle game. There's a childlike character silhouette. I have a feeling that said image is the model for the figure that will be included with the LE release of the game.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

i got mine saturday. i was initially amazed at how detailed it is, alot if stuff is now audible that wasn't in the movies online. the music is heavily layered without becoming too busy. it's definitely Cave's finest soundtrack to date, and the production is top notch.

apparently Manabu Namiki wasn't the only one who worked on Mushi, Masaharu Iwata is listed as co-producer and Hitoshi Sakimoto seems to be in there as well. sounds like Cave hired the the whole Basiscape trio to deliver one serious OST.

on the other hand, the stage 4 remix by supersweep is horrid. it sounds incredibly out of place compared to the quality of the other tracks on the cd.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Icarus wrote: And the DOAONLINE webmaster just chopped Reko from the tree stump, and has a few nice pics of her in different standing and seating poses with the stump rearrangement. THIS LINK IS NOT ENTIRELY WORK-SAFE! Especially since Reko is a 15 year old, and she appears to have gone nopan. Naughty naughty, CAVE ;)
Damn, nothing like a little modeling putty to clean up the holes and a little pink paint for that fresh morning look.

Rori con (or Lolita Complex) is a popular fetish of Japanese otaku. And the DOAONLINE webmeister is a perverted rori con dude.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Kiken wrote:Look on the back of the advertisement for the Mushihime puzzle game. There's a childlike character silhouette. I have a feeling that said image is the model for the figure that will be included with the LE release of the game.
By jingo, you're right. I wondered what that was. Although the silhouette looks like an elf, a garden gnome, or Load Ran from Twinkle Sprites holding a fish :lol:
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Icarus wrote: By jingo, you're right. I wondered what that was. Although the silhouette looks like an elf, a garden gnome, or Load Ran from Twinkle Sprites holding a fish :lol:
I think it's supposed to be a young Reko holding up one of the stag beetles (perhaps a young Giniro?).
Neon

Post by Neon »

It's good stuff.

Parodies Radiant Silvergun with track 10 :lol:
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

I'm listening to it for the first time now and am very impressed. I've heard the soundtrack in the background of the videos, but it's nice to get it front and center without the bullet sounds and screaming. I'm actually quite partial to the stage 3 song, and am glad it got remixed. It actually reminds of the original F-Zero in a way (the original). Just got to the stage 4 remix...ah...this is like the stage 3 remix from Ketsui. Not bad per se, but out of place.

Yeah, I'm digging most of the tracks on here, though.
umi

Post by umi »

Manabu Namiki IS shmup music :P As for the Progear ost... it's brilliant... I'll never know why no one really likes Progear's music. It goes without saying however that the reason Espgaluda gets so much love is because it has easily some of the most instantly likeable shooter music ever (Progear's music is much more subtle... but fukin awesome). Cave in general don't make bad games, and so they aren't dumb enough to hire bad composers either!