Zanac X Zanac Opinions Needed

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

BulletMagnet wrote:Heh, I was just being a pain in the neck. ;) Seriously though, that one weapon is the ONLY one I've found ZERO use for in that game...it's like power-ups (or for that matter the main blaster) in Souky, why bother including 'em? :P

Look, do you want an use for weapon 5 in Super Aleste? When you are at level 6 and you're hit, your firepower will decrease a lot. There are weapons that aren't really useful until you leveled them up. If you go down at level 0 and have a 2, you're screwed. Weapon 5 instead offers some decent firepower from the beginning. So, like weapon 1, it proves quite useful to level up at least up to level 3. You're aware that pressing R, missiles will go straightforward and they are quite powerful.

I for sure have used 5 in some occasions. It's also good to switch to it when approaching a boss. The weapon I usually avoid like plague is 6. But even 8 and 7 I use less than 5.

See? that's the reason I love Compile. I'm sure you have valid reasons to avoid 5, and we're both enjoying the game!

About Soukyugurentai... I must admit that, besides the yellow ship, I get my best results with the green one. And one of the reason I like that one is... Yeah, you guessed it, its powerful main blaster. I was playing like "who needs this ****ing peashot, but when I switched to Arcade mode (i'm talking oubushustugeki here) reevaluating the blaster was the key factor to success.

Note = not writing all this to argue, I just imagined you'd be interested in seeing a different approach to weaponry ^_^
X - P - B
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, different indeed...I actually use Weapon 6 rather frequently at certain points in Megaforce: I find it especially useful in Stage 5, since it can go through walls (or anything else) and can clear out enemies hiding behind corners before they can start shooting at you and become a real pain in the neck (not to mention that the weapon can eat bullets, and has lots of power and a decent "standard vulcan" aside from the charge beam). And you're right about missiles being a decent "get back in shape" weapon, but I'd honestly rather use the multiple shot for that...just my preference though. :)

As for Souky, I only have the Saturn version, but yeah, I've also made the case for main gun usage (and the stupidity of the rank system which punishes you for powering it up), only to be rebuffed by the "hardcore" Raizing players, heh. If only we could join forces and use our powers for evil, instead of good...;)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I'll post this once again, here's the review of ZanacXZanac that I wrote for Insert Credit some time ago (hopefully viewed better by the masses than the Ketsui preview). ;)

http://www.insertcredit.com/reviews/zanac/index.html

And it would seem that my X-2 replay is residing on Archive.org:
http://www.archive.org/details/Project_X2-Kiken
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Naiera wrote:Uhm, I think you're supposed to be happy that you got anything near 20 hours of enjoyment out of a shmup...
20 hours is nothing compared with what I have played of other Shmups. Both RSG and Souky should have more than 50 hours logged. I have lost count long ago for Gradius Gaiden. I guess it should be more or less 100hrs since I have 1CC'ed the first and second loop 27 times and there are tons of failed attempts.
Last edited by UnscathedFlyingObject on Fri May 06, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Kiken wrote:I'll post this once again, here's the review of ZanacXZanac that I wrote for Insert Credit some time ago
I really liked this review, Kiken. Very informative and reasonable. I do hope you're wrong, though, about how it's NOT a must-own. For the price one pays, one would like for it to be a must.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Kiken wrote:I'll post this once again, here's the review of ZanacXZanac that I wrote for Insert Credit some time ago (hopefully viewed better by the masses than the Ketsui preview). ;)
I red that one when it was published. Didn't know it was yours. It's a fair look at the game, well done.
X - P - B