Sin & Punishment 2

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Jockel

Re: Sin & Punishment 2

Post by Jockel »

I blame it a on piracy, at least a bit.
Casual gamers usually don't know how to mod their stuff, so they buy their casual games.
More dedicated gamers (that are able to mod their Wii) are more likely interested in the niche titles,
so a part of the already smaller crowd doesn't buy them.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Yeah, but honestly most people who pirated the game wouldn't have paid for it in the first place ("$50 for a rail shooter, lol..." we've all heard that before). Unfortunately, the only people who were ever going to buy this game are Treasure fans, or fans of the first game, and I'm sure the vast majority of them won't pirate the game.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

linko9 wrote:Yeah, but honestly most people who pirated the game wouldn't have paid for it in the first place ("$50 for a rail shooter, lol..." we've all heard that before). Unfortunately, the only people who were ever going to buy this game are Treasure fans, or fans of the first game, and I'm sure the vast majority of them won't pirate the game.
I've pirated the game but only because I couldn't wait for the NA release. I will of course buy it when it comes out. :)
This goes for all the other games I've pirated as well if I like it I'll buy it and add it into my collection.

I just think of it as try before you buy.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

kemical

Post by kemical »

this game is so far beyond a rail shooter that I'd feel sorry for anyone who seriously views it as one, it offers up tons of intuitive situations that make use of the same simple control scheme, even a hand to hand combat sequence, it is funny how so many self-proclaimed professional game designers could learn a ton of stuff from it but would brush it off as old and outdated... not to mention it is a wealth of perfectly polished examples of player-feedback, enemy ai telegraphing through animation, motion design, even some choices with the cinematics are noteworthy for how they play with the Player's expectation/feelings.
I'm a bit biased but seriously, awesome game, full of attention to details that other mainstream genres NEED more of.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

I found this to be a very interesting interview. The last two parts are yet to be translated.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/01/si ... parts-1-2/
http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/03/si ... parts-3-4/

It always amazed me how Treasure was able to pull off what's essentially a 3d shmup, and now I know they had quite a bit of trouble with it :D.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, I have played through the game a few times now, and am pretty confident to report that this game rocks. All the rumors are true(except for that lousy 7 one Famitsu reviewer gave it). Anyone who has a Wii should snag this when it comes stateside. Definitely one of Treasure's best games.

You really feel like you're all over the place, rather than just on rails. I guess it has to do a lot with how you control the guy with one stick, the target with the other, and they have the "dash" feature, which allows you to just cut loose all over the place and through bullets. Such an exciting and energetic game.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Famitsu can go fuck itself.

Giving this game a 7 is unthinkable.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
guigui

Post by guigui »

adversity1 wrote:Famitsu can go fuck itself.
I did not have a chance to play the game yet, still on shipping from PA, but I already knew that.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
TLB

Post by TLB »

adversity1 wrote:Famitsu can go fuck itself.

Giving this game a 7 is unthinkable.
Well spoken.
Drascin

Post by Drascin »

Just tried it for the first time (died pretty soon, of course. A boss caught me unaware. I think all the awesome is distracting me) and man. Fucking WOW. If the rest of the game keeps being anything like the first stages, this game is seriously on a whole other level than S&P64, and I already loved that one. I don't usually fanboy over stuff, but I swear to God with S&P2 I was giggling in sheer glee by the second stage. It's hard to explain. It's all just so... polished, so well made, so goddamned dynamic and attention absorbing.

Damn, Treasure. You seriously outdid yourselves. When this arrives in Europe, this is an insta-buy.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Drascin wrote:Just tried it for the first time (died pretty soon, of course. A boss caught me unaware. I think all the awesome is distracting me) and man. Fucking WOW. If the rest of the game keeps being anything like the first stages, this game is seriously on a whole other level than S&P64, and I already loved that one. I don't usually fanboy over stuff, but I swear to God with S&P2 I was giggling in sheer glee by the second stage. It's hard to explain. It's all just so... polished, so well made, so goddamned dynamic and attention absorbing.

Damn, Treasure. You seriously outdid yourselves. When this arrives in Europe, this is an insta-buy.
Don't know if you've reached it yet, but i'd have to say my favorite stage is 4. You're flying over this huge city, and it turns into a side scroller for a while. It's just awesome.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... tcount=485

Sells only 10,000 on the first week. Unless the casuals suddenly start buying it up, the sales are going to gradually plummet from here on out, and all the unsold copies will go into the bargain bins. The good news is, is that anyone interested who hasn't bought it yet will be able to find it for cheap relatively soon.
:lol:
mumu

Post by mumu »

There aren't many unsold copies because the game only had a small shipment. And Nintendo published games, especially niche titles like these, don't hit the bargain bin so quick. Considering how relatively inexpensive it must've been to make with only a small team working on it 10,000 is almost a moderate success really.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

mumu wrote:There aren't many unsold copies because the game only had a small shipment. And Nintendo published games, especially niche titles like these, don't hit the bargain bin so quick. Considering how relatively inexpensive it must've been to make with only a small team working on it 10,000 is almost a moderate success really.
If the shipment percentage is correct, there are about another 10,000 copies that are so far unsold. Who knows if/when retailers will order more. I can think of a few Nintendo published titles that hit the bargain bins relatively quickly (in Japan, that is). The ones that immediately come to mind are Metroid Prime 3 and the Metroid Prime Collection for Wii, and I think Wii Music did too.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Cuilan wrote:Sells only 10,000 on the first week. Unless the casuals suddenly start buying it up, the sales are going to gradually plummet from here on out, and all the unsold copies will go into the bargain bins. The good news is, is that anyone interested who hasn't bought it yet will be able to find it for cheap relatively soon.
As if most of us here are able to easily dive into Japanese bargain bins... or has the game already been released in other regions? It will be a couple of more weeks until my copy ships, since I added it into the same order as Futari.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

iatneH wrote:
Cuilan wrote:Sells only 10,000 on the first week. Unless the casuals suddenly start buying it up, the sales are going to gradually plummet from here on out, and all the unsold copies will go into the bargain bins. The good news is, is that anyone interested who hasn't bought it yet will be able to find it for cheap relatively soon.
As if most of us here are able to easily dive into Japanese bargain bins... or has the game already been released in other regions? It will be a couple of more weeks until my copy ships, since I added it into the same order as Futari.
He's talking about casuals in Japan.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:You're flying over this huge city, and it turns into a side scroller for a while. It's just awesome.
Did they actually get it right this time, or is it S&P1 Stage 3-2 all over again?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

gs68 wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:You're flying over this huge city, and it turns into a side scroller for a while. It's just awesome.
Did they actually get it right this time, or is it S&P1 Stage 3-2 all over again?
Well, I didn't mind 3-2, but you can control yourself far more easier in this one, so you'll probably like it better.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

iatneH wrote:As if most of us here are able to easily dive into Japanese bargain bins...
If my prediction comes true, it's possible that an online store (like Play-Asia) would buy up some of that unsold stock at a discount and pass some of the savings onto their customers. I'm pretty sure Play-Asia has done that with many other games that were over-shipped, such as : Fragile, Doki Doki Majo Shinpan 2, iDOLM@STER Live For You!, Archaic Sealed Heat, Nights Journey of Dreams, etc.
adversity1 wrote:He's talking about casuals in Japan.
I'm talking about Japanese gamers in general, at the very least.
Last edited by Cuilan on Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Are you talking about Archaic Sealed Heat, Cuilan? Or is there a Heart?
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

m3tall1ca wrote:Are you talking about Archaic Sealed Heat, Cuilan? Or is there a Heart?
Oops, typo. Fixed now. :oops:
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Superplay of stage 1 here:

http://wii.com/jp/movies/tsumitobatsu-movie3/

Anybody down for a score thread? We can do it in off topic if the mods insist.
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

I'm up for sharing scores if you want. I'm TSN on the leaderboards. Mostly playing stage 0 and 1 with Isa on normal difficulty.
guigui

Post by guigui »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:I'm up for sharing scores if you want. I'm TSN on the leaderboards. Mostly playing stage 0 and 1 with Isa on normal difficulty.

I'm also in for sharing modest high scores when my copy arrives.

By the way, in S&P1, isn't there some sort of hidden multiplier ? For instance I can score about 1 millions on 3-1 when training ans not counting the final commander bonus, but I score about 5 millions when playing it regularly, still not counting the final commander bonus...
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

Your hit count is some kind of multiplier in the original. The value of everything is some calculation involving your currents hits, health and time remaining. You just keep getting more and more points the more enemies you kill.

In Sin and Punishment 2, once your multiplier hits 16x doing damage is worth far more points then going for hits. Skip the small fry, shooting large enemies is your top priority.
linko9

Post by linko9 »

MrMonkeyMan wrote:shooting large enemies is your top priority.
But I thought capturing Radan was our top priority...

I'm waiting for the NA release, and all this talk is making me very jealous.
MrMonkeyMan

Post by MrMonkeyMan »

I just barely broke 24 million on stage 0, Isa, Normal. I could probably push it to 24.4 million, but I'd rather not try. I think I've played that stage enough.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the explanations on SP1 MrMonkeyMan. Calculation is done regarding to your Hits, Time Remaining, Health remaining : do you some idea of the formula ? like for instance if Hits is more important than Time Remaining or such ?

MrMonkeyMan wrote:Skip the small fry, shooting large enemies is your top priority.
Man I just got that ! I wish I could understang spoken English better !
sfried

Post by sfried »

Any word on the soundtrack? What I'v heard so far is miles better than the N64 original.

Edit: Anybody read the Creator's Voice interviews yet?:
Parts 1 & 2
Parts 3 & 4
Parts 5 & 6
adversity1 wrote:At that rate they should've just put that shit out on the 360.

Fucking Wii is a graveyard for 3rd party games.
kemical wrote:this game is brilliant...can't believe those sales numbers :cry: I'm blaming it on the Wii.. How did games like No More Heroes and Madworld compare in Japan with the first sales numbers?
S&P is Nintendo property. How can you blame it being on Wii? How else did Saki appear in Smash Bros.?

And MadWorld is only just about to make its debut in Japan with the highest rating CERO can dish out for it. (They originally had no intention to release it in Japan in the first place due to the gore.)
linko9 wrote:The problem is purely name recognition; Resident Evil sells great, and Okami sells like shit.
I remember reading somewhere that original IPs don't sell that well in Japan, unless it has moemoe plastered all over it.
linko9 wrote:But I thought capturing Radan was our top priority...
Speaking of which, I still can't firgure out the story. I know it has something to do with Achi, but what the hell is she leading Saki & Airan against?