Displaying mame on a CRT TV problems.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
espibara

Displaying mame on a CRT TV problems.

Post by espibara »

Connected my desk top to my CRT TV via svideo and the picture is horrible, its flickers and seems badly out of sync. Changing the resolution to its lowest poss setting doesnt help also.

Anyway I can improve it so I can play MAME on it?

I've noticed a few people on here who play mame through a standard CRT but how?
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

To the best of my knowledge, most video drivers don't really have native TV modes; they just scale the picture down to display it on a TV, resulting in a crappy image. You might want to look into AdvanceMAME, which is apparently specialized for low-res displays.
captpain

Post by captpain »

Don't know what your graphics card is... I have an NVIDIA 8800GTS and my s-video out works perfectly (apart from a minor image warping issue, stemming from a cheap cable) with my CRT TV.

I set my displays to "clone" in my NVIDIA settings, and so the screen on the CRT TV scrolls around when the mouse hits the edges. My monitor is set to 1152x864, which is why that happens. I suppose you could have them set as two independent displays, but I find the TV largely useless for any activities you'd do on the computer (apart from... watching tv :P).
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

i mean it's s-video, what did you expect? ^^
but make sure the resolution is 640x480.
mame tends to stretch the picture to 1024x768
stuntman

Re: Displaying mame on a CRT TV problems.

Post by stuntman »

espibara wrote:its flickers and seems badly out of sync.?
Could be outputting the wrong signal type for your TV. Look for a PAL/NTSC setting or something similar.
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.