hows DC Giga Wing?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
theevilfunkster

hows DC Giga Wing?

Post by theevilfunkster »

I just got the US version pretty cheap off ebay and was just wondering what it is like.

Is there any major differences between the US, JPN and PAL releases?
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

It's great, the best Giga Wing IMO.

The only difference from the japanese version is that the yells the caracters make when they release their bombs have been removed.
Not a big deal tough.
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Its slightly more pixelated, and tougher than the PCB.

US releases are set at 2 for diff, whereas the JPN versions are set at 4 (out of 8)
So, keep it US, or go hardcore Japan style. Personally, I own the import, but I find myself playing it on Kawa-X on the Xbox for the true PCB feel.

BTW: The DC port has an extra plane...the "Stranger". The PCB does not feature this to my knowledge. You must beat the game without using continues to get it.

All in all,its a good port!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

It's good, but get a DC joystick to play this game with, otherwise it's murder on your hands-the DC's D-Pad just isn't up to the task with this shmup, like pretty much every shmup on the system, IMO.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Well, the DC pad just sucks period. There's a rapid fire button in the DC version but you probably won't be using it.
raiden

Post by raiden »

you don´t have to beat the game without continues to unlock Stranger, it´s sufficient to reach stage 7 without continues.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Compared to the CPS-2 Arcade version, there are quite a lot of differences.

The game moves very fast. Slowdown only shows up when you're reflecting around tons of bullets, unlike the CPS-2 version which was pretty much all slowdown. Because of the lack of slowdown, some areas of this game are downright brutal.

Some of the enemy placement and timing has been altered. A very noticeable example is during the Train Stage (Stage 2 if you're using Ruby), around the halfway point, the wave of circular-shaped planes that fire aimed shots at you drop down a lot faster than the arcade version.

The game is noticeably more pixellated when compared to the CPS-2, and the character artwork looks lower-res as well. Nothing that makes it hard for you to tell what's what, though. The music is also different.

The only differences between the US/JP versions are the character voices on the JP ver., unless I'm mistaken. You'd hear your chara talk during the cutscenes, and scream "REFURECUTO FOOOORCE!!" whever you use that weapon. Maybe this was just in GW2's case, not sure. I do wonder if Sinnosuke sounds more energetic than Kart. o.o;

Not a bad game in any sense, really.
Naiera

Re: hows DC Giga Wing?

Post by Naiera »

theevilfunkster wrote:I just got the US version pretty cheap off ebay and was just wondering what it is like.
I hope you're going to be using VGA to play this game, because neither NTSC version supports RGB.
TVG

Post by TVG »

i borrowed the JP version from someone, i want to see the differences, but cant get it to work, werd since all my jp games work usually.
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

Well all I can say about this game is that its hard as nails I only know of one person who's superplayed it. The last boss is evil....
theevilfunkster

Cheers guys
It's good, but get a DC joystick to play this game with, otherwise it's murder on your hands-the DC's D-Pad just isn't up to the task with this shmup, like pretty much every shmup on the system, IMO.
yes, i play all my shmups now with a DC sitck or an x arcade.
I hope you're going to be using VGA to play this game, because neither NTSC version supports RGB.
i know this, and no, i wont be using VGA. Is it really all that bad with an RF cable? i didnt mind skies of acadia or vampire chronicles.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Yes, it is all that bad. RF is utter crap compared to an RGB or even a VGA signal. Go fix it. You shouldn't be playing games like this. You're not doing them justice and you may contract HIV from using RF too much.
theevilfunkster

Naiera wrote:Yes, it is all that bad. RF is utter crap compared to an RGB or even a VGA signal. Go fix it. You shouldn't be playing games like this. You're not doing them justice and you may contract HIV from using RF too much.
HIV? :shock: Well i suppose i'll have to purchase a VGA box box then. Hmmm...i suppose i'll need to get a decent sized monitor as well.
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

Naiera wrote:Yes, it is all that bad. RF is utter crap compared to an RGB or even a VGA signal. Go fix it. You shouldn't be playing games like this. You're not doing them justice and you may contract HIV from using RF too much.
Word :twisted:
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
ST Dragon
Banned User

Re: hows DC Giga Wing?

Post by ST Dragon »

theevilfunkster wrote:I just got the US version pretty cheap off ebay and was just wondering what it is like.

Is there any major differences between the US, JPN and PAL releases?
You could always try the CPS2 JAP,US & EU versions.
I doubt they're any different ot the DC ports.
theevilfunkster

Well it arrived this morning and ive spent the past few hours playing it.

So here's my impressions, it's VERY HARD! Even on the easiest settings it feels impossible. Now im not the best at shmups but i can at least do Ikaruga and Gradius V on default settings using 1 continue. With this i'd be lucky to 1c to the 2nd level.

Besides the extreme difficulty level, the game is rather damn good, the bullet deflector is a sweet idea and i think it has possibly the best bombs in any shmup ive played.

It really is ugly with an RF cable though.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Told ya ;)

I also think it's hard, but not impossible. You just die in some really silly ways it seems, at least most of the time.

I got the second one in the series today. Finally.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

You sir, have the honor of becoming my very first signature here on the boards.

I like Giga Wing. It's the game that lit a fire under my ass as far as shmups go. It's no DDP or Batsugun or Strikers, but I'd give it a solid 4 out of 5. Or 7 out of 10. And yeah, it's fucking brutal. I've never made it past stage 5 in one credit, and that's on level 2 difficulty.

One of the best things about this game is it's fucking LOUD. I play my DC mostly with a VGA box setup + 2.1 PC speaker system, and my subwoofer goes into overdrive. Total sensory overload. I love it.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Best sig ever :twisted: When I started reading your post I thought you were giving me the honor of being a total retard or something ;)

Heh, I also play it on level 2 difficulty. I suck so I don't think I've been further than stage 3. Haven't been concentrating on it much since I got it (or rather, the PAL version. I have two new and sealed US versions :roll: ) because of projects at school though.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

dave4shmups wrote:It's good, but get a DC joystick to play this game with, otherwise it's murder on your hands-the DC's D-Pad just isn't up to the task with this shmup, like pretty much every shmup on the system, IMO.
excellent point. Getting the stick made a big difference for this and all my other DC shmups. I hope Trizeal supports the arcade stick, as I was hoping to get this game before long.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

I think all games that support the use of the digital pad are supported by the stick. Just as with all other consoles, really.
adam76

Post by adam76 »

Naiera wrote:I also think it's hard, but not impossible. You just die in some really silly ways it seems, at least most of the time.
I got the second one in the series today. Finally.
That sums up my sentiments entirely!

It IS rock hard but with practice its surprising how far you can get. When i first played it i was like WOAH! I'd never played anything so bloody tough, and it seemed incredibly daunting due to the amount of bullets being hurled in my general direction. Once you work out how to utilise the reflect shield though it becomes alot more managable.

My problem, now that i've gained a degree of familiarisation with the mechanics of the game, is that i keep losing lives chasing after the medals.

Damn that shiny stuff! :x
"What the hell kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper? I have seen some slip-shod, backwater burgs, but this place takes the cake."