New Puzzle/Shmup work in progress...

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Pixel_Outlaw

New Puzzle/Shmup work in progress...

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

This game is much like a puzzle game bread with a shmup.

You must use the fire button (Z) to shoot enemy blocks into enemy clusters. There is a nice emergent pattern here. If you want to score big, you must create bigger clusters. The clusters gain a bit of firepower too which really makes the game difficulty ramp as you rack up the possible points.

This is just a bare bones proof of concept for now. Just programmer graphics too. The README file explains what the finished project will look like.

The scoring is like this:
Number of blocks in a cluster ^ 2, multiplied by 10 points.

The shot needs to be quick because the player can't wait for a bullet to hit the cluster.

The game will probably progress as follows:

Level 1 (clusters between 2 and 3 cells) (10 clusters on this level)
cluster speed increases by .1 fps

Level 2 (clusters between 2 and 4 cells) (15 clusters on this level)

Level 3 (clusters between 2 and 4 cells) (20 clusters on this level)

Level 4 (clusters between 2 and 5 cells) (25 clusters on this level)

Level 5 (clusters between 2 and 6 cells) (30 clusters on this level)

Boss are very simple non-moving clusters that cannot be damaged when their guard is up. It is up to the player to milk the bosses by adding as many clusters as they want. The base size of the boss cluster is the level * 2. Level 1 has 2 blocks, level 5 has 10. I may include special boss only blocks. This is all my loose plan. It is really up to the player to build those clusters. The game will adapt to the player's skills.

Again I will be adding different types of blocks and this will evolve into a game hopefully.

DL here: ( as of 9-9-09)

http://storeandserve.com/download/84664 ... s.rar.html

alternate:
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/8f369c779d_0.35MB
Last edited by Pixel_Outlaw on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

So far, interesting idea. Can't wait for full game.

Anyway, i'd like to have some sort of indication where player's shots will land. Badly placed shot can really ruin your chances to destroy the block. It also could be difference between easy and hard mode.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

I don't know how many people care to be interested but I've added a bit more gameplay. Please stay tuned to see how this game will evolve. I do value input folks. :D

*** I'll edit the link in the first post to the new version***

I really would like your thoughts, please take the time to do me a favor and try this game.
Bloodreign

Post by Bloodreign »

Reminds me of Quarth, with a major twist, enemies fire back. You can play it safe and make small blocks for smaller scores, or if you want to rack up a really good score, you can make the blocks bigger by adding 2-3 more lines to them, but the price is heavy as enemy fire gets far thicker, quick and precise is the way to play.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Ok I have the levels in place now. What I need is an overall thought on how difficult the game is to get through. There are 5 levels consisting of 10 enemies per level. Level 5 is difficult to pass.

I need some hardcore shmupers here. Please survive the 5 levels. I WILL add bosses with time but as I said I'm just concentrating on the levels for now. The Z button adds more blocks (if you are lined up). The X button is not in use yet.

I've omitted bosses to make the level testing more speedy.

Here is a youtube vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRQJ1Sc4xt8

Here is the level playtesting demo:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=01f8 ... b9a8902bda

If you are really helpful I might add you to the playtesters roster in the credits. Just as a thank you.

Scoring:

((number of blocks in a cluster*10) ^ 2)* level

The max width of a cluster is the level number +2.
A_Civilian

Post by A_Civilian »

Haven't cleared the 5 levels yet...

But there are some concerns.

What specs does this game expect? I make one column to near the end of the screen and it makes lag on 2nd level and up.

And it's a bit odd to be able to make a column longer after the bottom leaves the screen, isn't it? Sometimes that happens on accident, and I forget how many blocks that set had, so I'm left with a long block set that I can't remove.

Really interesting game though. Blame me for making user errors.