ps3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guardians Knight

ps3

Post by Guardians Knight »

to what extent is it backwardly compatible, and how easy is it to play imports and copies?

thanks chaps
kernow

Post by kernow »

copies? excuse me?

blu ray games on ps3 are region free, movies are generally not.
Guardians Knight

yup copies. welcome to the real world. try getting hold of say zanac x zanac, harmful park et al.

ok ill ask my question more explicitly.

ive got some import ps1 and ps2 games and also some copied ps1 and ps2 games, just wondering if a, the original imports will work without modding a ps3 and also what is the current state of ps3 mods atm? i.e. can i get a mod to use the aforementioned games or not yet?

plz no moral crusade, im sure the topic of pirate games has done the rounds enough for anyone who can still remember a commodore 64 to be very bored of the subject.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Guardians Knight wrote:yup copies. welcome to the real world. try getting hold of say zanac x zanac, harmful park et al.

ok ill ask my question more explicitly.

ive got some import ps1 and ps2 games and also some copied ps1 and ps2 games, just wondering if a, the original imports will work without modding a ps3 and also what is the current state of ps3 mods atm? i.e. can i get a mod to use the aforementioned games or not yet?

plz no moral crusade, im sure the topic of pirate games has done the rounds enough for anyone who can still remember a commodore 64 to be very bored of the subject.
I saw a harmful park sell just last week on another forum I go to for about 20 quid.
Guardians Knight

talking about them? surely not?! asking for them, yeah. mods plz confirm or deny this most vicious of rumours?

20 quid is a very unusual price, altho i must admit to being out of the shmup game for a wee while now

thanks for the info tho guys
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

A US ps3 will not play import ps2 or ps1 games. All ps3 games are region free. As for copies, I can't help you there. I'm not against copies of games that are out of print, as the game maker has already made all their money. The only people profiting off these old shooters now are the ones jacking them up on ebay.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

kernow wrote:I saw a harmful park sell just last week on another forum I go to for about 20 quid.
Highly unusual for a game that routinely for more than 100$, and for substancially more than that recently. I offered to pay 150$ for a complete one with spine around here 2 months ago and nobody's bit.

PS3 games are definitely region free. PS2 games played in a PS3 are not.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Nobody reads the Forum Rules anymore...

No ISO trading, ROM begging, bootlegging, modchip sales, copyright infringement, or assistance with any of these – for example warez FTP site details. It doesn't matter what is legal in your country, there are no exceptions to this rule – although discussion of emulation is not a problem.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Only select PS3 systems play PS2 games at all.

40GB machine is getting B/C soon apparently, how well it works who knows. I'm sure region lockout is guaranteed though.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The USA region PS3 can play such Japanese Blu-Ray movie discs without a problem and vice versa for such a JPN region PS3 to play such USA region Blu-Ray movies as well.

Such a PS3 console can't play such mentioned PSX and PS2 games that you wish to play if they aren't the correct regional version.

Just for fun, I tried booting up a Japanese PSX and PS2 game on such a USA region PS3 console, it's no can do, meaning that regional lockout is strictly enforced.

Unless some clever 3rd-party were to release such a boot-disc to allow such opportunity to play such official JPN region PSX and PS2 games on other regional PS3 consoles, it's is just a dream for now.

You might want to stick with such a modified PS2 console for your current needs or if you want to properly play such official JPN PSX & PS2 games on it, just pick up a JPN region PS2 and you'll have no worries in the legal department, Guardians Knight. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
captpain

Post by captpain »

So if I want to play the newer shmups, should I buy a JP xbox 360 or a JP PS2?
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

So if I want to play the newer shmups, should I buy a JP xbox 360 or a JP PS2?
Tough call, at the minute I'd buy a JP PS2 to take advantage of the Cave library and the upcoming Thunder force 6. I'd wait before buying a Jp 360 until the library develops a little more.
Vidi Vici Veni