Psyvariar(PS2) vs Ikaruga(GC or DC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
petrolhead

Psyvariar(PS2) vs Ikaruga(GC or DC)

Post by petrolhead »

If you've played both, which is better?
I've got Psyvariar already and it's pretty good, is Ikaruga sooooo good that it blows all other 2d shooters away?
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

I haven't played and of the Psyvariar games, but I can affirm that Ikaruga is pretty freakin' sweet and very deep. NOT A PUZZLE GAME
Dylan1CC

Re: Psyvariar(PS2) vs Ikaruga(GC or DC)

Post by Dylan1CC »

petrolhead wrote:If you've played both, which is better?
I've got Psyvariar already and it's pretty good, is Ikaruga sooooo good that it blows all other 2d shooters away?

It is a very good game, mixes intense vertical shooter play with finely designed chaining and scoring. Beautiful visuals, dramatic music and atmosphere. And like any Treasure game, it has great explosions too.
"...that it blows all other 2d shooters away?"
OK here's where you mgiht want to manage your expectations alright?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ikaruga's impressive, but be aware that it definitely caters almost solely to the "hardcore" crowd and makes little or no effort to be very accessible to more casual players: unless you're willing to put a lot of time into learning to chain, there's not a heck of a lot else to mess with in the meantime except raw survival.
obxStorm

Post by obxStorm »

I've spent quality time with both and I can say that Psyvariar will collect dust long before Ikaruga will.

But hey, that's just me. But neither have been seeing light of day since I've decided to focus turn my focus 169% on Gradius V.
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

I couldn't get into Psyvariar 2. couldn't get into buzzing bullets. i also couldnt dig the whole style of the game. lame music, uninspired visuals, i just didnt care for it.

Ikaruga on the other hand is one of my favorite games, ever, for too many reasons to mention. it just does everything perfectly, and i have no complaints (other than i really suck at it). I say there's absolutely no contest between it and Psyvariar 2.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Ikaruga >>> Psyvariar (1 & 2)

That said, I don't play Ikaruga that much anymore. I just don't think the Psyvariar series is that terribly good. If you are enjoying psyvariar tremendously, you have a lot to look forward to since there are a LOT of shmups that are better!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

PSY and IKA modes in rRootage >>> Either Ikaruga or the Psyvariars

That game took those games' mechanics, and applied it to the massive bullet curtains. No asinine chaining to memorize, just get though the bullet hell. Especially nice are the R levels, the randomness keeps you on your toes, it's not a matter of memorizing patterns.

I wouldn't play either game. They aren't my cup of tea. About the only recent manic shmup I liked was Shikigami no Shiro 2.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

CMoon wrote:Ikaruga >>> Psyvariar (1 & 2)

That said, I don't play Ikaruga that much anymore. I just don't think the Psyvariar series is that terribly good. If you are enjoying psyvariar tremendously, you have a lot to look forward to since there are a LOT of shmups that are better!

Give me the list then!!!!!!!
I've got PS2,GC(cw Freeloader),DC(cw cdx) and PC.

Are there any awesome NTSC(j or us) only PS2 shooters?
Neon

Post by Neon »

Neon approved PS2 shooters -

Dragon Blaze (Psikyo collection volume 3)
Dodonpachi Dai ou Jou
And a bunch of psone stuff.

I'm sure ESPgaluda and mushihime-sama will be great too, haven't ordered either yet (and mushi doesn't come out until late july).

These are all jp-only, by the way.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Is a boot disc available to run NTSC stuff on PAL consoles?

Or does the PS2 require a mod?
Neon

Post by Neon »

Swap Magics are the cheapest solution, though I'd have to recommend a mod or better yet, an imported console.

That site is reliable, btw.[/quote]
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

Oh no really there is just no contest, Ikaruga blows the living hell out of the Psyvariar series. To it's credit though, Psyvariar 2 has nice visuals and both of them have a pretty cool soundtrack...... but so does Ikaruga.

I also don't play either of them much now, but I've played Ikaruga waaaaaaaaay more. Ikaruga's gameplay is sick, but you'll need to spend some time practicing to really appreciate it, I wouldn't say it's something you can just pick up and play.

Does it blow all other 2D shooters away? Nope, it doesn't even come close to pulling that off, but then again what single shmup game can?

Ikaruga is a very good game
Last edited by Nei First on Sun May 01, 2005 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Ikaruga is far better than both the psyvariars in every possible way. i still like them a lot but psyvariar 1 really is ugly as fuck and the DC psyvariar 2s lack of a roll button makes it too difficult for me
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

Psyvariar 2: Will to fabricate rips Ikaruga to shreds. Ikaruga at the end of the day is just memory skills thats all it is, at first I couldn't quite work out why people called it a puzzle game, but after playing it even more I can see the logic there. Psyvariar 2 is great people who can't get into the buzzing system are either a) useless at the game or b) not given it enough time. Because there's so much to love about the title. The bullet patterns and the scoring system are just quality plus the whole spinning gimic is great, where as Ikaruga is just basic now....
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

theevilfunkster wrote:Ikaruga is far better than both the psyvariars in every possible way. i still like them a lot but psyvariar 1 really is ugly as fuck and the DC psyvariar 2s lack of a roll button makes it too difficult for me
Just backs up everything that I've said, Ikaruga is better than Psyvarair because my skills are basic!

p.s no disrespect
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

Just backs up everything that I've said, Ikaruga is better than Psyvarair because my skills are basic!

p.s no disrespect
maybe you're right. i should probably go and practice some more.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Using the roll button in PS2 rev Psyvariars, the enjoyment is going down considerably, IMHO. Movement is restricted too much this way.
BulletMagnet wrote:Ikaruga's impressive, but be aware that it definitely caters almost solely to the "hardcore" crowd and makes little or no effort to be very accessible to more casual players.
This is myth.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

I find this concentration of firepower is the only thing that keeps you alive,it might slow you down a bit, but, it's worth it.
adam76

Post by adam76 »

BulletMagnet wrote:Ikaruga's impressive, but unless you're willing to put a lot of time into learning to chain, there's not a heck of a lot else to mess with in the meantime except raw survival.
Therein lies the problem for me, i've never really mastered the chaining let alone survival. :oops: I don't dislike ikaruga per se, its just always felt a little cold and thats why i'll never 'love' it.

Nice explosions though.
"What the hell kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper? I have seen some slip-shod, backwater burgs, but this place takes the cake."
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

petrolhead wrote:I find this concentration of firepower is the only thing that keeps you alive,it might slow you down a bit, but, it's worth it.
Tip...there's more than one method to roll. :wink:
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

petrolhead wrote:
Give me the list then!!!!!!!
I've got PS2,GC(cw Freeloader),DC(cw cdx) and PC.

Are there any awesome NTSC(j or us) only PS2 shooters?
This is where you need to use the search function or go to shmups.com and search under the xeoncide files. OR take a look at the top 25 that is being batted around here.

To be honest, your Gamecube is pretty worthless for shmups--Ikaruga, Star Soldier and Shikigami no shiro 2 (I've got the last two for sale if you need them), but that's it.

The PS2 (especially modded) has become one of the best shmup consoles of all times and the list is just too extensive. A few of my favorites--
Donpachi & Dodonpachi (ps1) & Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou (PS2)
Raiden Project / Raiden DX (ps1)
Various Psikyo games (ps1 & ps2)--most notably being strikers and dragon blaze
Gradius Gaiden (ps1) and Gradius V (ps2)
G Darius
ESPgaluda (ps2)
Zanac X Zanac

Then of course for your DC-
Various shmups by Takumi (Mars Matrix, Gigawing 1&2)
Psikyo (Zero Gunner 2, Gunbird 2 (also on ps2))
Border Down
Trizeal
ikaruga (also on GC as you know)

Well, that is a start, but seriously, you'd do better poking around because this topic comes up quite often ( which is why I continue to suggest that we need a sticky for shmup collections on each console but no one listens...)
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

oxtsu wrote:This is myth.
At least that's how it struck me, playing the DC version...apparently the GC port has some extra stuff in it, such as replays and a slo-mo mode or some such thing, but I still say that, aside from learning to survive, chaining in Ikaruga is all there is: if you don't learn to do that, then all you've got is a pea shooter and enemy bullets to avoid. And learning to chain is a grueling process.
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

BulletMagnet wrote:And learning to chain is a grueling process.
Very true....
BIG

Post by BIG »

Ikaruga.

And yes,chaining is a BITCH.

B-
icepick

Post by icepick »

gingerj; About time that we had some backup for Psyvariar in this thread. 8)

petrolhead, I haven't played much of Ikaruga (once, last year) but I think that it's probably a must-have if you have a DC (or GCN)... Not because it's the be-all end-all of shmups, but because it's very well-done with regard to an interesting gameplay mechanic, excellent musical score, and polished visuals. I think that you'll like it.

That said... if you like Psyvariar, you might like to check Psyvariar 2 out someday!
Nei First wrote:Ikaruga's gameplay is sick, but you'll need to spend some time practicing to really appreciate it, I wouldn't say it's something you can just pick up and play.
The exact same could be said for the Psyvariar series. It's just that (as far as I can tell) Ikaruga is more popular and it's easier to understand the game system. You can easily tell someone how to play Ikaruga (chaining and such), whereas proper Psyvariar play seems almost like more of a feeling which can't be described... Although this isn't necessarily true, since one could say "go for maximum buzz and level" and in Psyvariar 2, "note the effects of certain enemies and their bullets on the neutrino guage." The games are more comparable than most people seem to notice, as one is generally more misunderstood than the other...

I'll say that with Psyvariar, if someone finds the shooting to be weak or the visuals to be the strong point or the game, they might want to try some new techniques! That might sound bss-aackwards, but it's this mirage of absurdity which prevents most from overcoming the hurdle and seeing past it to the true facets of the game. Its visuals are indeed nice, and I do personally like the music, but the game system provides for a great portion of the enjoyment!

There are bunches of shooting games though; No reason to fret over Psyvariar unless you own it and don't think that you like it. :wink:

PS- Try tapping the roll button in Psyvariar on PS2, when you want to move quickly while rolling (or so I've heard).
Last edited by icepick on Sun May 01, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
\\ /\/\ \
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

Here is a good idea, why don't you read up on both games (not opinions, but facts), then form your own opinion based on your personal likes/dislikes.

You came in here asking the same damn thing with Bangai-O, then hated it, DID YOU LEARN NOTHING?
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

I've already got Psyvariar-complete edition.
Just wanted to know if Ikaruga was any better.

As for Bangai-o, i'd picked it up cheap in the afternoon after seeing so many positive comments about it.As it turned out, i did'nt like it, so what...it's on E-Bay now.
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

No contest.

Ikaruga owns! It's way better than Psyvariar, IMO. If you do get Ikauga, do yourself a favor and grab the Dreamcast version.
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

The Bullet Dodger wrote:No contest.

Ikaruga owns! It's way better than Psyvariar.
A) Why is it better?
B) Are we talking Psyvarair 1 or 2 here?