Coin mech adjust?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
xenepp

Coin mech adjust?

Post by xenepp »

I have absolutely no working knowledge of coin mechs. I've never had enough money on me to warrent not useing the service switch :)

I've got this Asahi Seiko mech that I wanted to set up for 1p (or 10p, 20p, whichever I can) but can't find any info on doing so at all.

Anyone know of a guide or can tell me what I need to do with it? It was set up for Yen but I just fiddled with it and I'm guessing it'll not accept anything at the moment :D

-Joel
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

I do have a similar problem, because i've got an old stand up cab that runs on DM, but now we have €.
I've googled a little and it seems like reprogramming a coin mech is an expensive task.
Buying new coin mechs seems not very cheap as well.
xenepp

Post by xenepp »

The woodies I think use multi coin mechs and have a EPROM to control coinage data (I think).

The mech I have is purely mechanical and only accepts one type of coin at a time.

-Joel
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Does this help:
http://www.dragoninstall.com/blarg/?p=6

Obviously it will be slightly different for different coins but you can see the method anyway.
xenepp

Post by xenepp »

Superb! :D

I shall have a play with that tonight!

-Joel
xenepp

Post by xenepp »

Worked great, now have an EII accepting 10p :D

Thanks again GB.

-Joel
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For Gwyrgyn Blood,

So you'd go through the same steps to change the coin mechanism back to accept yen coins?

I do have a few 100 yen coins...there is nothing like using real yen to feed the hungry Egret II coin slot for that authentic Japanese arcade game experience. ^_~

It is possible to get your American dollars or British pounds converted to Japanese 100 yen coins at your nearest International airport. Just proceed to the Money Exchange counter and get some 100 yen coinage. It ain't that hard to do, folks.

I recall going to this one Japanese game center where some of the older arcade shmup PCB titles were priced at 50 yen instead of 100 yen. What a great deal. ^_~

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
xenepp

Post by xenepp »

Honestly, it's easier just to make the adjustment. Even with the wider switch hole it's still reversable so it accepts Yen again (though why you'd need to is beyond me).

It works great and this way it's a tidy little money box :D

-Joel
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Gwyrgyn Blood wrote:Does this help:
http://www.dragoninstall.com/blarg/?p=6

Obviously it will be slightly different for different coins but you can see the method anyway.
Great blog post. Although I did not have to remove the magnet (#3) on my coin mechs to accept quarters. I also have another adjustment similar to number 4 which your mech doesn't have present? Last note is that I had to use a file to widen the plastic coin entry on the top of the panel to accept US Quarters as its a little bit to small (had to do this for all my sega and konami cabs).
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

Yeah I think there are a bunch of coin mechs that are very similar but have slight variations. You just need to play with them until they accept the kind of money they should. Also make sure they don't accept any other kinds of coin, if you care about that kind of thing.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Hm, could anybody help me on that one?
I just see two screws, and one is carved out badly.
high res, so here's a link:
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 1218536233
Gwyrgyn Blood

Post by Gwyrgyn Blood »

That seems to be a much different kind of coin mech. Any idea on the manufacturer or model number of the thing? It might be designed to take only one kind of coin, in which case you'd probably be stuck replacing it.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I think thats a picture of the coin mech holder, and not the coin mech. Try taking a pic of the other side?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Dave_K. wrote:I think thats a picture of the coin mech holder, and not the coin mech. Try taking a pic of the other side?
Oops ^^ Yeah I'll do and edit this post. Wait a moment.
Here: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii12 ... 2_1014.jpg
I understand that the $MaxSizeCoin - screw is located under the black plastic thingie on the upper right. Still, it would always throws out other coins after the weight check (or whatever that is, the little metallic thing with a weight does) my coins are heavier than the old ones, so perhaps i should try to duct tape a little weight on it?!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Very interesting, there are no coin adjustments on the front. Looking at that first pic again (back side) there is a long slot that looks like there should have been a screw with lever inside similar to Gwyrgyn Blood's #4 adjustment on the frontside.