Just played Progear for the 1st time...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sundance

Just played Progear for the 1st time...

Post by Sundance »

..And i gotta say it was like playing in Miyazaki film but i loved every minute of it. I never had the chance to play it in the arcade and when i found it on Mame i had to try it. Definitely a neat sidescroller. So what are your thoughts on this one...anyone like or dislike it?

I also got to check out Cyvern. It was fun in a Dragon Spirits sorta way. Def another oldschool shooter that has a certain amount of charm. Again ..feel free to chime in about this one.
"ooh, ahh, thats how all this starts, but then theres running and screaming" -LW:Jurrassic Park-
it290

Post by it290 »

Yeah, beautiful game. Fantastic art direction and it really rocks the CPS2 hardware. I find it hard to concentrate on the scoring system whilst trying to dodge all those bullets, but it doesn't detract from the fun of the game any.
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

it290 wrote:Yeah, beautiful game. Fantastic art direction and it really rocks the CPS2 hardware. I find it hard to concentrate on the scoring system whilst trying to dodge all those bullets, but it doesn't detract from the fun of the game any.
I was in the same boat. SO many bullets and trying to tap on and off on the controller to suck up the points inbetween dodging and firing. Def made it a funfest all around.
"ooh, ahh, thats how all this starts, but then theres running and screaming" -LW:Jurrassic Park-
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

I paid out the butt for this one but I think it was worth it...there's nothing like waitin for an enemy to fire a huge volley and then turn it into a screen full of giant diamonds :o
TVG

Post by TVG »

i played it in mame, but didnt get quite a satisfying result.
the sound emulation was messed up, yet it seemed great.
overall the game was a bit choppy, but i guess its just the comp i played it on.
what i saw got me interested tho.