Wishicon 2008 /*/ Detroit Metro Area /*/ July 19th

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
themisterfalcon

Post by themisterfalcon »

Kiel wrote:
robivy64 wrote:drunks and cabinet elitists?
Ahaha That sounds like a title I'd want to own.
That's a title you not only own Kiel, but also invented.
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I have a notion. Considering how our usual shmupmeet has been superceded by this event...why not just push it back to August? Like August 16th or something?

We still get our summer console gaming in, and there's still sweet arcade gaming for all.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

We need to get those name tag stickers so I can put that on it.
overkill55

Post by overkill55 »

Kiel wrote:We need to get those name tag stickers so I can put that on it.
People I have dealt with successfully: bleem (x2), spazicon, sven666, sparky, iatneH, Dragon1952, kozo, Ghegs
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I mailed Gunforce 2 and Air Gallet up for the gathering. I would mail my other (Cave) boards but you bitches have all of them already. :x
themisterfalcon

robivy64 wrote:I mailed Gunforce 2 and Air Gallet up for the gathering. I would mail my other (Cave) boards but you bitches have all of them already. :x
DID YOU MAIL NICK'S CHEEZY BISCUITS!?
Dale

Post by Dale »

Hi Dan I'd loved to come to your house for the meet. I met dubdubdub at his house for a small meet arranged on the MIG forums and we had a short but fun time. I'm a very big Cave fan and probably not very far from your house(I'm from SH's also) we should hang out sometime.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

My time on the forums will be increasingly limited after tomorrow, so make sure you send me a PM if you want to attend and I can provide addresses. I'll be flying into Detroit on Thursday, so I won't be on after that.

I think we will all have a kick ass time, and I look forward to meeting everyone who is coming.
danox574

Post by danox574 »

We have the Internet here in MI Rob. I'll let you use it.

Dale, absolutely, I'm going to PM you back and say hi and we'll arrange it for sure. Saturday afternoon will be a blast, I'll make sure you get the info.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

If i'm kickin it up there, my ass won't be on a computer.
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

After much consideration, here are my thoughts on the matter:

All the Wishi Washi crew seem like cool, fun people. I appreciate you extending your invitation to all of us here. That being said, there *are* a few things that bother me about this whole thing. I understand what started out as a private meet amongst you guys was opened up to us and others as well, but I feel like that could have been done a bit better. Had more information been provided in this thread upfront, I doubt things would have come to this. I'm a little hard pressed for a reason that virtually no one dropped in to really clear matters up or elaborate on what Rob was saying before, and yet now the thread is flooded with posts letting Sonic R know he is not welcome. I find this unfortunate.

Like I said, you guys seem cool, I'd love to hang with you. There sure as hell aren't enough shooting game fans around. But I have known Sonic R for four years. I was at his wedding. I've watched his baby girl learn to walk. He has never done wrong by me and I don't think he ever will. Our whole southeast Michigan shmupmeet only exists because of *his* generosity and *his* open invitation letting people into *his* home on Saturday nights. That's how we first met DJI and Davey, who have attended some of our larger gatherings afterwards. I understand your uneasiness towards James given what you know of him, but I assure you he is nothing but a class guy and this is all just unfortunate timing and miscommunication.

I am sure Saturday will be a blast and good times will be had by all. I personally was looking forward to seeing some PCB exclusive games I've been drooling over on Youtube for however long. But if Sonic R isn't welcome, then I'm going to have to pass. Perhaps at some later date you locals would be willing to meet with us and you could see what a cool dude James is, and perhaps we could all hang together and be part of the next Wishi-con or plan some sort of all-encompassing gathering as I would love to meet you out-of-state folks as well. As for Saturday, I'll be hanging with kccttzj (who happens to be my girlfriend), Sonic, THE, and whoever else ends up doing stuff with us. Obviously, no hard feelings toward Wishi or whoever decides to attend their gathering. Again, it sucks that things had to get so dramatic, but I'm confident that it'll all work out in time. Happy gaming all.

danox574

Post by danox574 »

Wow, OK. So, let me get this straight. We could have done this a bit better. We were having a gathering, Rob mentioned it in a social context, Anayami inquired about coming to it, we discussed it internally and decided it was best to open it up to everyone, we posted that invite, we got abused for it, and when Sonic R displayed unpleasant behavior towards me, I mentioned that my family had grown uncomfortable with him as a visitor, but Eric came out and said that he was still welcome at his home. What exactly was the room for improvement? What would you have recommended we do? And don't say more notice, because we didn't even consider it until we realized when Rob had posted that opening it up was the right thing to do. We couldn't go back in time. With that stipulation, what do you honestly recommend?

Well, I feel bad that what I think is justifiable caution on my part has stopped you from even considering visiting Eric's in the evening, who has not rescinded any invitation to his home.

I associate with principled people, and principled people draw the line at being accused of elitism, exclusivity, and racism after publicly inviting anyone who can travel here a place in my home. If you were my friend, I'd want you to be that way.

James may go on about his feelings being hurt, but if that's what we're going to be talking about here, my feelings are very much hurt. I happen to stand out in my community, guys. I am known. I volunteer at hospitals and rest homes. People nod when I pass them in the hallways. I have been honored by my peers for being a guy who does the right thing. I was the president of a juggling club for years, bringing together all sorts of people from different walks of life with nothing but a single, similar interest to hold them together. But in a 24 hour period, I have been accused of being a party plan crasher, an elitist, a racist, a troublemaker, a PCB whore, a console hater, a individual with a separate and conflicting agenda, and generally a bad person. Forgive me, I'm not used to this, and I really didn't enjoy it very much at all. I feel like shit, frankly, thank you very much. You guys have actually kept me up at night. Did you think I wanted to go to bed at 4am last night, or stay up and post for you trying to make everyone feel better and attempting to give you some clarity? And trying again to show you that my intenions are not someone motivated the way you describe them?

I've done my best to make a good impression. Those of you who took the time to read and pay attention, thank you. Those of you who's took on the goal of blasting, slamming, badmouthing, and hurting people who happened to be right in the middle of attempting to be pleasant, well, consider next time a person shows up with a smile and a kind word not being so brutal.

Understand, this has nothing to do what you do on your Saturday, this is about the way we were treated in this thread and the accusations that were leveled. I'm glad James will never have a bad word for you. Would you say you were treated this way when you met him too, but somehow got over it? Are you friends because you put up with this kind of lip? If someone acted like this, would you let them into a room with a five figure collection worth of cabinets, boards, and pinball machines, another five figures worth of video game store inventory, and more, especially when your wife of thirteen years has grown uncomfortable with it and you want to take care of that family that you have?

There's a way to defend your friend without crapping on good people, and I'm sorry to say, it does require you to call them out when they screw up. I saw that some of you understand that.

Perhaps the people I will meet on Saturday will be so very impressive that I'll have to assume if they spend time with you, I must be missing something when I read through this mess.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Thread split for great justice. Please stay civil.
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

Dan, I think you might've misunderstood what I was trying to say. What I meant about not coming is that I made plans previously with Sonic R and I intend to stick to those plans regardless of what other events transpire. The reason I didn't mention hanging out at Eric's is because, from what I understood, that shindig was more about drinking, which I don't do, and less about gaming. I had spoken to Sonic R on the phone the previous day and we had decided to travel on over to your crib in the day for games and good times and then those who wanted to keep on gaming and abstain from the alcohol could go back to Sonic and THE's place and show some console love, Wishi members *included*.

I don't think you're a bad guy, I tried to make that clear. I said I was looking forward to meeting you all and was attempting to open up a dialogue for working something out in the following weeks since there are a couple of you guys who live in the general vicinity.

God, I don't want this weekend to be fucked up for ANYBODY. My guess is we all work too hard and have too much stress in our daily lives for it to be carried over into our leisure time, especially time spent with people whom geography keeps our meetings less frequent than we'd like.

My gripes were minor, dude, but I wanted them aired because I don't believe in forging friendships unless people know exactly where I stand. I totally get that you guys meant no ill-will; in fact, I wasn't really even trying to slam you, Rob, or anyone else. I was merely attempting, and apparently unsuccessfully, to shed some light onto why Sonic R, who as I have said is a great friend of mine, would react the way he did towards you. I'm not asking for time travel or anything, bro, I was just letting you know that even *I* felt a little uncomfortable at first.

I dunno, I was trying to be brief in my post because I'm often accused of long-windedness (and now you can see why), so perhaps my tone came off more antagonistic than I intended. I just wanted to defend my friend because he is just that. I don't think friends always necessarily agree 100% with everything the other one does; if that were the case, I can tell you right now no one would want to hang out with me. I just wanted you let you guys know a few things:

1) I was interested in hanging out
2) Sonic R is not someone your significant others should be afraid of
3) He's a good friend of mine and because of the conflict of plans, I was going to hang with him instead this weekend but hopefully sometime in the future I could meet you dudes and chill, and you could meet James and see how cool he is.
4) I felt uncomfortable about things in the beginning because I wasn't sure whether you guys REALLY wanted us or not, and that if I felt that way, then this could also be the motivation behind Sonic R's feelings, who reacted differently than I did but is in no way a malicious individual.

P.S. Yeah I know you already convo'ed with kccttzj via PM but I wanted everyone on here to see what I had to say.

Once again, happy gaming everyone.
TriggerHeartExelica

Post by TriggerHeartExelica »

I posted this before I realized you had pmed kccttzj.
We aren't going to attend this weekend but hopefully in the future we can arrange to meet up or something.
I'll be posting this in the other thread but anyone who wishes to stop by our home on Saturday afterwards is more than welcome to. :)
It’s almost over. It’s just begun.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I hope everyone has a good week and i'll see some of you on Saturday!
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

overkill55 wrote:
Bravo!
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Well, just wanted to say that it was great hanging out with you guys. Thanks a lot for welcoming us to your gathering and hope we can all do it again next time.
themisterfalcon

Ayanami wrote:Well, just wanted to say that it was great hanging out with you guys. Thanks a lot for welcoming us to your gathering and hope we can all do it again next time.
It was awesome having you guys out. We should do it more often since most of Wishi is out of state. Maybe a monthly thing?
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Sounds good to me man. Probably gonna set something up at my house for august. But early september would be great I do believe. We will figure it out.
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

Seriously guys, thanks a lot for having us. We had an awesome time.

We'll definitely have to hang out sometime since we're all in the same area. It's nice to have some new people around. =)
Lordstar

Post by Lordstar »

overkill55 wrote:

oooooh do me next :D
Follow me on twitter for tees and my ramblings @karoshidrop
shmups members can purchase here http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21158
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Sorry I missed out, I kind of fell asleep after work!
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

It was great to meet all of you guys. I am back in Alabama now and I have to say that I am shmupped out for a few days heh.
I'm Alec

Post by I'm Alec »

i've got to make it a mission to make it out next year.
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

twas awesome
Dale

Post by Dale »

Awesome party. Sally says it was the most fun she had had in quite awhile. Anytime any of you want to hang out with me in a none big get together scenario let me know(or a very big get together scenario).
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
zero.otaku

Post by zero.otaku »

Wow, what a weekend! I am so glad everything worked out and we all got to meet up. Thanks again to Dan and Charlotte (sorry if I misspelled) as well as Eric for opening up their homes to us and letting us hang. It was cool to see and play all the amazing games but even cooler to meet all you crazy people. Can't wait to do it again sometime.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Yeah big thanks to Dan and Eric for hosting. I'd love to come up again sometime.

I kind of did a double take when all the Garden City / Dearborn Heights people showed up, I didn't know you guys had worked things out. I'm glad everything's cool.
ubersaurus wrote:Sorry I missed out, I kind of fell asleep after work!
Ha! You'll definitely be kicking yourself if anybody posts any pics.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Davey wrote: I kind of did a double take when all the Garden City / Dearborn Heights people showed up, I didn't know you guys had worked things out. I'm glad everything's cool.
Tinz busted out the Desert Eagle and restored order.