Is your "collector's mentality" fading?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Q: Is your "collector's mentality" fading?

A: No I actually have more collectors mentality now than I used to. Although I'm trying to limit myself to just a couple of consoles, it is difficult to resist going on a buying spree and get a bunch of retro-consoles :P
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Turrican wrote:One has to find a balance. Being enough into the shmup scene makes me realize that ZanacXZanac might be worthy of all those money; on the other hand, I feel in the years I have been willing to pay too much for some titles judging on their reputation among hardcore fans alone. Most recent case, Harmful Park. It's a learning process, I guess.
i need to work on this as well. i sprung for a copy of ZanacXZanac, and sadly did not take well to it. i've still been meaning to dig into a bit more, to see if it is more rewarding with dedication, but still.

Harmful Park on the other hand, i basically bought for the same reasons (just less of them) and am in love with it. still can't beat the (supposedly easy) sucker, but crazy good stuff this.
I have no sig whatsoever.
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

The year is 2005, and I'm still buying older shmups from the early to mid '90's. And I won't stop until I complete my Saturn library. I MUST HAVE Radiant Silvergun. Then I will be happy. Then my collection MIGHT feel complete. Not to forget all the new shmups being released on the Dreamcast and PS2.

So no. My passion hasn't died down in the least.
rtw

Post by rtw »

To stick to the subject:

Q: Is your "collector's mentality" fading?

A: No, I'm still collecting SHMUPS but on the PCB side the price of the ones I want are way out of my league (Mushi, Raiden III). So I'm focusing on the small holes in my collection and my DC. Trizeal rocks!

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
FRO

Post by FRO »

adam76 wrote:If anything, my collector's spirit has excelerated. My biggest problem(aside from money), is that while i'm hungrily hunting down Mega Drive titles, theres a backlog of current games building up.

*sighs* my wallet cries itself to sleep at night and i havent even started on the Duo yet...
You hit the nail on the head for me. I'm more of a collector now than when I bought my first used console & started snapping up games. My problem is money - I don't have any! I did get that GameBoy Player for my birthday though, with Iridion 3D (sucks) and Iridion 2 (awesome), so I can't complain too much!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

The Bullet Dodger wrote:I MUST HAVE Radiant Silvergun. Then I will be happy. Then my collection MIGHT feel complete. Not to forget all the new shmups being released on the Dreamcast and PS2.
What I've learned from years of collecting is that your collection never feels complete. You get one "game you've always wanted to get to make you satisfied" and after awhile, another comes forward. The cycle never appears to end. At least that's the case for me and seems to be the case for most people. Hence, collecting of any sort is a dangerous addiction.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

My collectors spirit is nearly dead. I sold or traded in all my extraneous consoles. I got sick of owning so many games and systems and not playing them, just letting them sit and rot in my closet. I got rid of a master system, a 3DO, a Jaguar and a TG 16, not to mention 90% of my SNES and NES games, though I'm thinking about just getting rid of all that stuff too.

My saturn collection is nearly complete (Missing Battle Garegga and DoDonpachi, maybe Cotton Boomerang or a strikers game as well), I have everything released for DC minus Trizeal and SNS2, which i have for PS2. Maybe ten more games and I'm caught up. I just got ESP Galuda and I'm waiting for DDP DOJ in the mail, I preordered Mushihimesama, after that, Trizeal, Senko no Ronde, R Type Final and Delta, Psyvariar Complete Edition, and the few mentioned above and I'm done until another something new comes up.
Ganelon wrote:
The Bullet Dodger wrote: What I've learned from years of collecting is that your collection never feels complete. You get one "game you've always wanted to get to make you satisfied" and after awhile, another comes forward. The cycle never appears to end. At least that's the case for me and seems to be the case for most people. Hence, collecting of any sort is a dangerous addiction.
Meh, it depends on how crazy you are. I mean, once you get caught up with everything you want, what is there? If you're just collecting what you want, meaning what you'll play and enjoy, then you definitely will hit completion, especially with shooters. If you buy games regardless of the quality just to own evyerhitn gon a given platform, or you want to own every shooter on ev3ery console ever, you won't.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Acid King wrote:My collectors spirit is nearly dead. I sold or traded in all my extraneous consoles. I got sick of owning so many games and systems and not playing them, just letting them sit and rot in my closet. I got rid of a master system, a 3DO, a Jaguar and a TG 16, not to mention 90% of my SNES and NES games, though I'm thinking about just getting rid of all that stuff too..

I concur with games/consoles not played and stuck in a closet.

I'm in the process of getting rid of the DC,GC and MD for that very reason.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

Someone accidentally spilled some soda onto the back of my Zero Gunner 2 jewel case, and some of the liquid seeped in the bottom-right corner of the paper (which caused it to wrinkle a little bit), but you can't really tell at first glance.
My LE copy of Border Down has the bottom of both of its jackets wrinkled for some inexplicable reason.
I lent my friend my first print run copy of Final Fantasy Tactics. He lost the jacket for it.
My CE DC box of Comic Party has a crease on the left side due to a little too much weight placed on it before I was able to shelve it.

I'm quite peeved at these.

Oh yeah, almost every music CD I own I wash my hands before handling and/or make a CD-R copy of it and then shelve it back.

Does these traits qualify me as a collector?
Rob

Post by Rob »

dai jou bu wrote: Does these traits qualify me as a collector?
Obsessive compulsive. I'm proud that I haven't yet replaced my Giga Wing, which has a printing defect on the manual. :)
obxStorm

Post by obxStorm »

I like collecting. But I like playing more.

I understand people buying 2 copies of a game for collection puposes. What I don't understand is people buying one copy of a game and never opening it - it just sits on a shelf. <pirates nonwithstanding - shrugs>

Games are meant to be played - and bought. No sales = no new games.

We all understand that, right?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Turrican wrote: to buy a Virtual Boy for Vertical Force
Hey, I did that! It was cheaper than what it will cost for me to get a PC-FX for Zeroigar..
Turrican wrote: But when I get a treasured item, and put it on my shelf as a worship idol
...which is exactly what I will buy Zeroigar for :\

Although I really want to see the anime cutscenes... but the purchase has been pushed back due to my recent purchase of dai-ou-jou...
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

The only thing "fading" for me, is my income...and its not due to collecting games.
When I'm up and running better(income wise) I'm sure I'll go back to my "few games per paycheck" norm.
awc

Post by awc »

Like the quote from Tyler Durden in the movie Fight Club, "The things you own end up owning you."

I think this is kind of true. I say let the things you own, own you, so as long as you are proud to own it. With that said, I've sold most of my videogames and narrowed it down to what I see myself playing for years to come. To this day, I've never regretted my purchase of DDP DOJ.
adam76

Post by adam76 »

dai jou bu wrote:I lent my friend my first print run copy of Final Fantasy Tactics. He lost the jacket for it.
*sighs* This is why i don't lend anything to my mates.

Its always worse lending a videogame to someone as opposed to a jumper or a DVD. To most people, games are just that. They have no material worth to an 'outsider'. Sample quote: "you still play videogames, you're nearly thirty!". Thusly, they get treated as such.

Of course, there are some mates who can't even be trusted with a jumper...
"What the hell kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper? I have seen some slip-shod, backwater burgs, but this place takes the cake."
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

adam76 wrote:
dai jou bu wrote:I lent my friend my first print run copy of Final Fantasy Tactics. He lost the jacket for it.
*sighs* This is why i don't lend anything to my mates.

Its always worse lending a videogame to someone as opposed to a jumper or a DVD. To most people, games are just that. They have no material worth to an 'outsider'. Sample quote: "you still play videogames, you're nearly thirty!". Thusly, they get treated as such.

Of course, there are some mates who can't even be trusted with a jumper...
The worst thing to lend out is books. I hate it. People borrow them, then they don't start reading them for a month, they get half way through, stop, then when i ask for it back 3 months later they're like "i'm almost done". I lent a friend of mine my copy of Naked Lunch, one of my favorite books ever, read through it forwards and backwards half a dozen times, when i went to his house he had it split open on the table, jacket covered in shit, the binding completely mangled.... damn people...
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

dai jou bu wrote: I lent my friend my first print run copy of Final Fantasy Tactics. He lost the jacket for it.
I still have a sealed first run FF Tactics sitting in a drawer in my room.
pablo

Post by pablo »

Never been much of a collector. Don't have any rare things. I enjoy shmups, but there are so much else in the gaming world that I'm always buying other games and thus I have no money for collectibles.
it's not hiphop, it's electro
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I get the ones that interest me the most, because Kiken gets all the other ones :P

I'm leaning more toward the portables, though, because lunch break at work is unfortunately the best time for me to play. Consoles are failing to appeal to me more and more because I feel as though they root me into one spot... and as I already play couch potato on my computer, it's a bit annoying to have to move to another system :?

Hey, I'm really tired after work, I reserve the right to be completely lazy :lol:
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

^how's Gradius Galaxies coming along?
I have no sig whatsoever.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

obxStorm wrote:I like collecting. But I like playing more.

I understand people buying 2 copies of a game for collection puposes. What I don't understand is people buying one copy of a game and never opening it - it just sits on a shelf. <pirates nonwithstanding - shrugs>

Games are meant to be played - and bought. No sales = no new games.

We all understand that, right?
I dont understand the concept of buying 2 copies myself and also keeping a game on a self for no reason,other than for collections sake, same with purchasing games for the sake of collecting and totaly hating the game in question :?

I'll try the games out via emulation, If I dont like it I dont buy it.

But thats just me, As I said I'm a player 100%
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

2 copies of the same game? Amateurs...

I own six versions of Final Fantasy VI at home, plus a double one.

6 SotN (PAL, SS, JPN x 2, The Best, Psone Books)

4 Vagrant Story (USA, PAL, JPN, ASIA)

Yeah, I know, I need psychiatric help.
X - P - B
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Just bought (from CMoon) the Limited Edition Japanese Shikigami No Shiro II, even though I have the US release. Why would I do such a thing? Partially it's a collection thing, yes. It is one of my favorite games, after all. But the main thing is how great it will be not to have to listen to that terrible English version of the text! Plus, I guess I get a cat action figure or something. :D
ST Dragon
Banned User

Post by ST Dragon »

Mine isn't.
I'm just a bit short on cash in the past months.
Also no time to search around the shop!
:(
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Turrican wrote:2 copies of the same game? Amateurs...

I own six versions of Final Fantasy VI at home, plus a double one.

6 SotN (PAL, SS, JPN x 2, The Best, Psone Books)

4 Vagrant Story (USA, PAL, JPN, ASIA)

Yeah, I know, I need psychiatric help.
I'll be in Italy to take a copy of SotN off your hands :lol:
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Wait, I forgot I have a PAL Sotn more. This means, I could be trade it...
X - P - B
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Turrican wrote:Wait, I forgot I have a PAL Sotn more. This means, I could be trade it...
I would but I'm keeping my reserve hopfully for a joystick atm

Thanks for the offer though.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

captain ahar wrote:^how's Gradius Galaxies coming along?
I cap at about 135,000ish, still below all of Kiken's seven other entries, but I surpassed all of JON's [previous owner's] scores, anyway... I think being angry while at work seriously affects my score :(
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

I used to be into shmup collecting for the dreamcast but then the system got like a wave of crap. First there was Border Down, an entirely average horzi shmup. Everything just felt average. The weapons were underpowered, the music was horrible, the ship design was stupid, and the boss designs were uninspired

Then came Psyvarier 2. This made Border look like Radiant Silvergun by comparison. Okay the enemy design is down right horrible, the bosses look like crap, and its half baked attempt at innovation involves tearing up your thumb getting your mech to....spin. No cool weapons at all, just your underpowered pop gun. After 5 min of this crap, I popped in MUSHA just to get the taste out of my mouth. Now there's a mecha based shmup with no damn spinning.

After that came Chaos Field and Trizeal. Completely average uninspired stuff. Okay I guess if you've played and gone through every halfway good shmup out there and you are feeling bored but I don't have that much free time.

Anyway I kind of blame Ikaruga and Zerogunner 2 for my attitudes toward these shmups. If they hadn't turned out so good, my expectations would be a lot lower.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
MJR

Post by MJR »

I try to keep my collecting reasonable; i.e I only buy the game if I am really going to play it; therefore I can usually afford almost any pcb I want since I dont spend so much money on games in the first place. What comes to new games or other games than shmups; I hardly ever buy them at all. THere's no problem putting a hundred or two on a PCB if I know it is really going to make me happy :)

I do got all of it on MAME, but strangely it is just never the same; even if I had PC plugged on my cabinet.