jonny5 meet - 1 last time, May 5th - WE PLAY!!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
glassbox47

Re: jonny5 meet pt. 102 TORONTO, CANADA- Saturday June 22/13

Post by glassbox47 »

jonny5 wrote:
glassbox47 wrote:So... let me get this straight

You guys hang out, play shmups and listen to old jungle sets?

where have you been all my life?
Totally missed this post somehow :?

You a Toronto area local?
Brampton at the moment, but i work in the city. I was curious as to what sort of shmup scene the city had, as I've recently discovered A&C world and its fighting game community. How often do you guys do this?
jonny5

Re: jonny5 meet pt. 102 TORONTO, CANADA- Saturday June 22/13

Post by jonny5 »

glassbox47 wrote:
jonny5 wrote:
glassbox47 wrote:So... let me get this straight

You guys hang out, play shmups and listen to old jungle sets?

where have you been all my life?
Totally missed this post somehow :?

You a Toronto area local?
Brampton at the moment, but i work in the city. I was curious as to what sort of shmup scene the city had, as I've recently discovered A&C world and its fighting game community. How often do you guys do this?
I host a meet at my place every couple weeks. I will send you a PM now
SFKhoa

Re: jonny5 meet pt. 103 -TRAP15 IN THE HOUSE- Saturday July

Post by SFKhoa »

Since trap15 will be crashing at my place for Friday night, I'm tagging along too.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

SFKhoa wrote:Since trap15 will be crashing at my place for Friday night, I'm tagging along too.
I expect to see big things on Futari black label :wink:
colour_thief

Post by colour_thief »

jonny5 wrote:I expect to see big things on Futari black label :wink:
Or at least under it!

Ok Ok I'll stop with the Plasmo
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

colour_thief wrote:
jonny5 wrote:I expect to see big things on Futari black label :wink:
Or at least under it!

Ok Ok I'll stop with the Plasmo
Seriously, that photo was funny when he posted it....like 3 years ago. :lol:

Show up early guys, anytime after noon.
damakable

Post by damakable »

I hope you guys are all doing all right after the floods last night! I know I had fun getting home.

I should come to a meet again soon, it's been too long. I'm starting to crave shmups again. It might even finally be time for me to buy a cab of my own... guess I'll go check out the trading board.
poponon

Post by poponon »

hey guys first post here,

been playing shmups for years now, mostly cave games but a bunch of others. Got into them when i was way young visiting Vancouver and saw a master of ESP rade practicing at the university arcade.

this thread seems like the best place to ask my question, which arcades around Toronto are any good? I've been playing on MAME for all these years and would really like to try visiting an arcade. I've checked out a bunch of forums too see what the best available is, and it seems like Lovegetty and Pacific Mall Playcade are my only real options. I've heard that Playcade has a progear machine, so I've been practicing that a shitload incase it is still there. Could someone let me know if it is there? or what shmups are available at these arcades?

I'd really like to come shmup with you guys at the meet, I'm even into DnB too!! but i've got pretty extreme social anxiety and am afraid i would not be fun to hang out with, really (not looking for sympathy or whatever.), and if I were to drink I wouldn't be able to play the shmups anymore :lol: . more looking for somewhere to just solo or go with my gf to play shmups.

any help is really appreciated!! thanks!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

damakable wrote:I hope you guys are all doing all right after the floods last night! I know I had fun getting home.
I was without power for 2 days .. fun times.
Last edited by Udderdude on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

poponon wrote:I'd really like to come shmup with you guys at the meet, I'm even into DnB too!! but i've got pretty extreme social anxiety and am afraid i would not be fun to hang out with, really (not looking for sympathy or whatever.), and if I were to drink I wouldn't be able to play the shmups anymore :lol: . more looking for somewhere to just solo or go with my gf to play shmups.
jonny5's place is better than anything in Toronto, shmupwise. His cabs are actually well maintained, and he has shmups, which almost no arcades do (the last couple I've seen had Strikers cabs). We're all pretty laid back, it's not like you have to be zomg super cool kidz club to come.
poponon

Post by poponon »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:jonny5's place is better than anything in Toronto, shmupwise. His cabs are actually well maintained, and he has shmups, which almost no arcades do (the last couple I've seen had Strikers cabs). We're all pretty laid back, it's not like you have to be zomg super cool kidz club to come.
Ya I guess you're right. I told the gf about my post here and she got cross that i wasn't trying to make friends :lol: The other thing is tho, I don't think we'll be even close to as good as you guys are?? Reading here you guys are playing for highscore in most games/.. I'm still working on 1cc's :( Maybe it'll be nice to laugh at noobs?? lols. So yeah I guess next time you guys meet up maybe we'll come by. just lemme kno if we can be part of the cool kidz only club :lol:

also... playcade doesn't have progear anymore???? :(( I've been practicing so much
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

poponon wrote:
BareknuckleRoo wrote:jonny5's place is better than anything in Toronto, shmupwise. His cabs are actually well maintained, and he has shmups, which almost no arcades do (the last couple I've seen had Strikers cabs). We're all pretty laid back, it's not like you have to be zomg super cool kidz club to come.
Ya I guess you're right. I told the gf about my post here and she got cross that i wasn't trying to make friends :lol: The other thing is tho, I don't think we'll be even close to as good as you guys are?? Reading here you guys are playing for highscore in most games/.. I'm still working on 1cc's :( Maybe it'll be nice to laugh at noobs?? lols. So yeah I guess next time you guys meet up maybe we'll come by. just lemme kno if we can be part of the cool kidz only club :lol:

also... playcade doesn't have progear anymore???? :(( I've been practicing so much
Trust me, not too many 'cool' kids coming out. No disrespect to the regulars, but ya. :lol: You will likely fit in far better than you think. Nobody cares how good you are, and by watching the better guys, you can pick up tricks and stuff. Plus, I beat everybody's scores after they leave anyways. I prefer to do that so nobody gets discouraged by my superior scoring prowess.

Probably going to do one early August since I'm out of town for the next 2 weekends, so probably the weekend of Aug.3. You and the missus are more than welcome. I will shoot you a PM with details as the date approaches, but as always keep an eye on this thread for updates.
poponon

Post by poponon »

Trust me, not too many 'cool' kids coming out. No disrespect to the regulars, but ya. :lol: You will likely fit in far better than you think. Nobody cares how good you are, and by watching the better guys, you can pick up tricks and stuff. Plus, I beat everybody's scores after they leave anyways. I prefer to do that so nobody gets discouraged by my superior scoring prowess.

Probably going to do one early August since I'm out of town for the next 2 weekends, so probably the weekend of Aug.3. You and the missus are more than welcome. I will shoot you a PM with details as the date approaches, but as always keep an eye on this thread for updates.
alright, sounds like a good time, thank you for the invite. I'll keep watch of this thread for sure!! So.... what all does everyone play mostly at the meetup?? I've seen trap15's game list and a bunch of other boards ppl have been naming, mushi, espgaluda, muchimuchi pork... damn there's so many!!! Did someone have batsugun too??? I gotta get practicing :D what to practice...!!!!!??!!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

From memory:

Neo Geo MVS 4-slot:
Nightmare in the Dark
Shock Troopers
Puzzle Bobble
Neo Drift Out

Versus City:
Random fightans

Blasto Shitties:
Futari Black Label
Muchi Muchi Pork

Driving Stand Up:
Outrun 2006

Do I win a prize? :D
trap15

Post by trap15 »

They're New Astros, you heathen! :mrgreen:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

trap15 wrote:They're New Astros, you heathen! :mrgreen:
Oh damn you're right

New Astro Shitties
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

jonny5 wrote:Plus, I beat everybody's scores after they leave anyways. I prefer to do that so nobody gets discouraged by my superior scoring prowess.
Good to know I'm not needed for that anymore.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

poponon wrote:Ya I guess you're right. I told the gf about my post here and she got cross that i wasn't trying to make friends :lol: The other thing is tho, I don't think we'll be even close to as good as you guys are?? Reading here you guys are playing for highscore in most games/.. I'm still working on 1cc's :( Maybe it'll be nice to laugh at noobs??
Some of us try to play for score more seriously, but that doesn't mean we're all able to crank out 1ccs and high scores like crazy. I mean, fuck, I didn't even 1cc Futari Black Label last time I was over (I was playing super aggressively, pointblanking yay). It's not a contest or anything, some days you just feel 'off'. Plus, even watching some of the really good players like Khoa can help you learn new tricks. ;)

The really serious players actually are more the puzzle guys in Waterloo. Colour_thief does shmupmeets, but he's a mad puzzle game fanatic and usually has a few other people really into 'em that are seriously awesome at stuff like Tetris, Money Idol Exchanger, etc. It's really fun and intense to play vs. mode against someone that good, even if he does kick my ass every time.

Moh also has Progear, Mars Matrix, Espgaluda and Batsugun I think? He's out to Toronto occasionally. Jonny5's also got a nice tv that's easy to hook up an XBox or stuff to it, so there's always that, last time we had Mushi HD going I think Pestro brought?

jonny5: you still got Guwange and Deathsmiles MBL? I've been trying hard for the Guwange 1cc. :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

BareknuckleRoo wrote:The really serious players actually are more the puzzle guys in Waterloo. Colour_thief does shmupmeets, but he's a mad puzzle game fanatic and usually has a few other people really into 'em that are seriously awesome at stuff like Tetris, Money Idol Exchanger, etc. It's really fun and intense to play vs. mode against someone that good, even if he does kick my ass every time.
panel de pon, magical drop, puzzloop (with the spinners!) and oh my god colour_thief keeps buying more games for his three cabs and i can't keep up and i feel like i'm spreading myself way too thinly across these games and my average skill level is dropping.

we also have a decent iidx scene here, including a player who may be better than khoa (!!!)
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Skub wrote:
we also have a decent iidx scene here, including a player who may be better than khoa (!!!)
No way! Khoa's the bitta-bitta-best! /weak scratching effect

Actually got the blue label roms for Guwange from, trap15, it's wicked!
colour_thief

Post by colour_thief »

Skub wrote:oh my god colour_thief keeps buying more games for his three cabs and i can't keep up and i feel like i'm spreading myself way too thinly across these games and my average skill level is dropping.
I can't keep up either! It's getting bad when you have to make a list just to keep track of your shit.
poponon

Post by poponon »

Neo Geo MVS 4-slot:
Nightmare in the Dark
Shock Troopers
Puzzle Bobble
Neo Drift Out

Versus City:
Random fightans

Blasto Shitties:
Futari Black Label
Muchi Muchi Pork

Driving Stand Up:
Outrun 2006
Moh also has Progear, Mars Matrix, Espgaluda and Batsugun I think? He's out to Toronto occasionally. Jonny5's also got a nice tv that's easy to hook up an XBox or stuff to it, so there's always that, last time we had Mushi HD going I think Pestro brought?
HNNNNGGGG!!!1 So many!!! Hopefully Moh is around, he's got the only games I've been practicing :lol: . I don't think my computer is good enough to emulate futari or muchi muchi pork either :P Jonny5 you mentioned you have guwange blue ver. rom too? are you running a mame box as well?? That'd be freekin awesome!!!!!! I'm getting way hyped for this :D was playing batsugun far too late last night.... not enough hours in the day :|

Also, not sure if you'd guys be interested since I do not have an arcade stick for it, but I could bring my saturn?? I've modded it and have mostly every shmup for it. Also there's a ton of good fighters, which the saturn controller is great for. radiant silvergun anyone??? now there's one I can 1cc, :lol:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Current PCBs:

shmups:
Futari Black label(in New Astro City)
Guwange w/ blue label roms(or original)(in New Astro City)
Deathsmiles

puzzle:
Uo Poko
Mr. Driller G
Star Trigon
Snow Bros

fighters:
Soul Calibur
Soul Calibur 2
Tekken 4
Rival Schools
Hokuto no Ken
Pocket Fighter(currently in Versus City)
Marvel Super Heroes

mvs:
Nightmare in the Dark(in cab)
Metal Slug X
Shock Troopers(in cab)
Shock Troopers 2
Bust a Move again(in cab)
Puzzle de Pon
Magical Drop 2
Neo Drift Out(never ever leaves the cab!)

misc:
World Rally
Great 1000 Mile Rally
Outrun 2(in a Crazy Taxi standup cab)
Crazy Taxi

I think that is it? Obviously they aren't all in cabs, but swapping is easy. Oh, and I do have a mame setup I can put in any of the cabs too, but generally don't, as the cave stuff keeps people busy.

Muchi Muchi Pork is actually Brendz's, and so is Deathsmiles MBL, I just have normal Deathsmiles.

As far as consoles, you are welcome to bring whatever, but don't be surprised if it doesn't get much play. Do you have s-video for your Saturn?
poponon

Post by poponon »

omg... the gaimz :shock: !!!!!!! thankyou for the list, I've got a pretty good idea of what I should be practicing now. Any local shock trooper pros??

I'll definitely bring the saturn then, and no sadly I don't have the s-video output just component sorry :(. Is there anything else I should bring ? maybe some munchies, booze, extra tv.. anything in particular? lemme know if I can help out at all (I'm pretty sure we'll take the train , prolly no car for rides).
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

poponon wrote:omg... the gaimz :shock: !!!!!!! thankyou for the list, I've got a pretty good idea of what I should be practicing now. Any local shock trooper pros??

I'll definitely bring the saturn then, and no sadly I don't have the s-video output just component sorry :(. Is there anything else I should bring ? maybe some munchies, booze, extra tv.. anything in particular? lemme know if I can help out at all (I'm pretty sure we'll take the train , prolly no car for rides).
Brendz is pretty good at Shock Troopers.

And I'm guessing you mean composite? We can hook that up to the HDtv, but the XM-29 only has BNC connectors for composite, so no go for that if you want to play your Saturn.

Shouldn't need any TV's. Feel free to bring snacks/bevs if you want.
poponon

Post by poponon »

Brendz is pretty good at Shock Troopers.

And I'm guessing you mean composite? We can hook that up to the HDtv, but the XM-29 only has BNC connectors for composite, so no go for that if you want to play your Saturn.

Shouldn't need any TV's. Feel free to bring snacks/bevs if you want.
derp, ya I meant composite. I'll just bring it along incase anyone wants to rip some radiant silvergun or whatnot, no biggie if it doesnt get used :P
Skub

Post by Skub »

jonny5 wrote:Current PCBs:
Hokuto no Ken
what the hell, why didn't i know you had hnk that one time i came over??? time to get out the ps2 and practice my broken physics bounce combos...
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

I need to sort the harness for buttons 4 and 5. :?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You had BETTER! Because that's actually one of my fave fighting games (crazy broken awesome and I am actually fond of HnK's over the top campiness).
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

jonny5 wrote:fighters:
Soul Calibur
Soul Calibur 2
Tekken 4
Rival Schools
Hokuto no Ken
Pocket Fighter(currently in Versus City)
Marvel Super Heroes
You left out Street Fighter Alpha 2 and JoJo's :wink: