SUPERGUN FAQ? compatability issues?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
schnoo

SUPERGUN FAQ? compatability issues?

Post by schnoo »

Ok, so I see that the supergun is a very affordable way to get into all the sexy shmups that aren't released on console.
Are there any FAQs or something similar that discusses the compatability of different superguns and the shmups released from 2002-2007?
I saw someone selling a supergun that said it was somehow compatable with HYPER neogeo 64 games???

Sorry for newb questions, I would just like to research and have some knowledge before I blow my cash.

Thanks!
Alien Soldier

Post by Alien Soldier »

The compatibility problems that you are talking about are maintly due to the video encoders inside the supergun. They change the video signal from RGB to composite, s-video or component. If you can get a good multisync RGBH+V monitor with a custom RGB cable or an arcade monitor, you will be able to directly use the video signal from the PCBs and you won't need any video encoder. Also, RGB only superguns are way cheaper than the others.
schnoo

Post by schnoo »

so I am a little confused, i will need to buy a PCB (say mushihime futari) a supergun and most likely a video converter as well??
Alien Soldier

Post by Alien Soldier »

schnoo wrote:so I am a little confused, i will need to buy a PCB (say mushihime futari) a supergun and most likely a video converter as well??
No, you won't need it. English isn't my first language, sorry for the confusion. What I'm trying to say is that there is 2 different kind of supergun:

-RGB superguns: These supergun don't have any build-in video encoder inside, you will need an RGB (RGBH+V = RGB+sync) monitor or an arcade monitor (those monitors accept the RGB signal directly from the PCB). This kind of supergun doesn't suffer from compatibility issue and aren't expensive. They are the best choice if you can get an RGB monitor (there's plenty of them on ebay, look for NECs, Sonys, Mitsubishis) because you'll also get the best picture possible (which is also ajustable depending of the RGB monitor).

- Composite/S-video/Component supergun: You can plug these superguns to any TVs but some TVs won't sync properly with some game because of the weird encoded sync signal. These supergun are more expensive than the RGB only superguns. About the encoders, the last JROK seems to be the best. I have one of these too and all my PCBs works great but almost all the time I can't see the image entierly (score or life bar), the image is too big and It is not possible to ajust it. Composite and S-Video signal looks like crap compared to RGB.

Hope this helps
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Most superguns are compatible with most games. All the major superguns can handle the Hyper Neo Geo 64 but no sound will be played unless you have version 2 (that outputs sound from Jamma rather than an external source).
schnoo

Post by schnoo »

thanks. I guess when I find some superguns/RGB monitors to buy, I will check back to see if the Hyper Neo 64 and Cave shooters are compatible.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you want a cheap-ass analog RGB monitor, go with a 14" Commodore Amiga 1084S-D2 one...it has all the necessary monitor screen adjustments needed for optimal picture quality. Plus DB-9 RGB input as well. Plan on spending no more than $30 to $40 for one these days.

Or pick up an NEC XM29 RGB monitor (which is a 29" sized monitor btw) and you'll be just fine.

Sony makes the 9" analog RGB monitor -- CPD-9000 that shows up really nice and clear with the Jamma compatible Neo-Geo MVS motherboard setup.

The cheapest Supergun you can buy with RGB output only would a MAK (Multi Arcade Konsole) Supergun -- it can be had for a mere $130 to $150 USD.

The most expensive Supergun that money can buy would be a Japanese manufactured Sigma one. Plan spending upwards of $500 USD for one shipped directly to your door from Japan courtesy of fellow shmupper, Gaijin Punch. He can get them with no problem. ^_~

Or if you can find one, I'd recommend a Matt Ross Supergun, those are one of the nicest Superguns that $$$ can buy. I've got a Matt Ross Supergun special and it works like a charm. Plus it even has a pair of built-in arcade quality speakers so there's no need to buy a pair of non-amplified bookshelf stereo speakers. Just post an wanted ad for one in the Trading Section of this Shmups.org site and see what happens. ^_~

Good luck on your search for a decent Supergun and RGB monitor, your eyes will thank you many times over for the razor-sharp and crystal clarity with that particular setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i would also recommend the xm29....best monitor ive ever owned.....and its sooooo crisp....and made for tate!!!

slightly off topic....anybody have the pinout for the DB-15 connector for xm29's so i can get somebody to help me make some RGB console adapters for it and possibly build a straight up RGB supergun for hori stuff

or is it a standard thing??

im interested in running my DC, PS2 and Saturn through the RGB line.....although the s-video looks awesome too.....
Alien Soldier

Post by Alien Soldier »

schnoo wrote:thanks. I guess when I find some superguns/RGB monitors to buy, I will check back to see if the Hyper Neo 64 and Cave shooters are compatible.
As I said, there's no compatibility issue with multisync RGB monitors...

The sync issues comes from the video encoder and/or regular TVs through composite, s-video or component signals.