So with Taito Publishing Mushihime...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
undamned

So with Taito Publishing Mushihime...

Post by undamned »

And now their Godsend of Taito Memories Vol. 1 does this mean they are in line to take Arika's place as the shmup home porters we always wanted?

Does this mean we need to bombard Taito w/ requests for Ketsui? Dangun? Guwange? ESP Raging Decide?
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

First I think we'll hafta wait and see if they do a good job on Mushi et al, seeing as their efforts with GWG in particular have not been received well. All we can do at this point is hope...
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

if i knew arika was publishing it i would be alot more excited.

at least this will bring down the price of the PCB :D
BIG

Post by BIG »

Stormowl wrote:if i knew arika was publishing it i would be alot more excited.

Or it can backfire if the port is anything like GWG :?

B-
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

BIG wrote:
Stormowl wrote:if i knew arika was publishing it i would be alot more excited.

Or it can backfire if the port is anything like GWG :?

B-
well, that's what worries me...taito has alot to live up to...and after the GWG hackjob, will they do the same with mushi?
system11

Post by system11 »

GWG may have been a hackjob, but look at the Psikyo ports - those are top quality. Have to wait and see I suppose. If I was forced to guess either way, I'd expect mushi to come out relatively unharmed - remember GWG is a polygon beast, and totally different to the sprite based games Psikyo made.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
brand1bil

Post by brand1bil »

I was wondering that - I've played some 10minutes of the Sengoku pack but I've never seen the DragonBlaze/SolDivide pack in action - was that a good port? (for a casual shmup-gamer that don't throw up over some hi-res-overscaning-blah-blah-stuff :wink: )

Anyone know what the japanese shmup-audience thought about the GWG-port? What review-scores did it recive?

I remember playing the arcadeversion of GWG in Japan i December last year and it didn't impress me at all...
- Solar system Defence Force -
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Well the people at Taito are not stupid, they know heads will roll and they will be chased by rabid Cave fans if they mess this one up. And considering there will be a special edition including a figure, it seems to me they are doing some extra effort pleasing the fans.
brand1bil

Post by brand1bil »

visuatrox wrote:Well the people at Taito are not stupid, they know heads will roll and they will be chased by rabid Cave fans if they mess this one up. And considering there will be a special edition including a figure, it seems to me they are doing some extra effort pleasing the fans.
Is there anything about a superplay DVD? Like Espgaluda and DDPDOJ came with... And all this stuff about taito making a bad port of Mushihimesama is kind of stupid - Taito didn't start working with videogames last week - they've done it for ages, and I don't think them and Cave would try to do a port of the game if it wasn't possible... Not likley they will end up thinking "wait a minute! we forgot about all those bullets - how the %¤#% are we gonna squeeze those into a PS2?!?"

I have total faith in Taito... and Cave - they will do it right!
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

I don't think you have anything to worry about. GWG was Type X, new hardware that they obviously couldn't port over to the PS2 to its fullest potential. Mushi's going to be throwing around a lot of bullets, especially in Ultra, but I think it'll turn out well.

Then again, the argument, "Hey, it's Cave, it'll turn out fine" doesn't actually work. Cave doesn't make console games. They make arcade games, and cell phone versions of their console games. It's no skin off their back if the Mushi port turns out shit. Look at the Saturn DonPachi port. If Cave was so concerned with making sure that their console ports are top-notch, wouldn't they have done something to make Atlus improve it?
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

They should port Ketsui and get Cave to let them release a compilation pack with DDP, Dangun, ESPRade, and Guwange.
brand1bil

Post by brand1bil »

alpha5099 wrote:I don't think you have anything to worry about. GWG was Type X, new hardware that they obviously couldn't port over to the PS2 to its fullest potential. Mushi's going to be throwing around a lot of bullets, especially in Ultra, but I think it'll turn out well.

Then again, the argument, "Hey, it's Cave, it'll turn out fine" doesn't actually work. Cave doesn't make console games. They make arcade games, and cell phone versions of their console games. It's no skin off their back if the Mushi port turns out shit. Look at the Saturn DonPachi port. If Cave was so concerned with making sure that their console ports are top-notch, wouldn't they have done something to make Atlus improve it?
I hope for all it's worth that there is a difference between Cave anno DP-for-saturn and Cave2005!

But you're right.. Still I think the previous recent ports of Cave games should be some sort of meassuring tool for future ports (inc. Mushi).
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

brand1bil wrote:Still I think the previous recent ports of Cave games should be some sort of meassuring tool for future ports (inc. Mushi).
Perhaps. But we don't really know why those games turned out so well. Was Cave intimately involved in the porting process? (Unlikely, from what I understand of the company's philosophy.) Is the arcade hardware easily ported to the PS2? (Does Mushi run on the same hardware as DOJ and Galuda? I'm not sure.) Or was it due to the talent and dedication of Arika? (This might very well be the deciding factor, and we can only hope Taito understands that the bar is set high and they'll have to do the game justice.)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I'm in the I wish it was Arika camp. Taito has never been known to go beyond the call of duty, especially with someone else's games, they simply do a job that's acceptable and that's all. For the amount of games they undertake, this will just be buisness as usual, so if it's a competent port I will be satisfied. Arika, on the otherhand, took pride in their work and had personal and genuine interest in the games they were porting. Instead of cutting corners like most companies (cough*taito*cough) they gave you a freakin' bonus DVD some people would probably pay 4000+ yen for. I hope somewhere down the line Arika gets back into porting shooters.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Well, if Taito does cut corners, at least we'll know why: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... story=5375
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

What has Arika released other than their few Cave ports? Yeah, they were great... but thinking about it, what else have they done?

Taito today isn't quite what they used to be... their name used to by synonymous with great action games. Their standards have slipped some, however. I don't think the Gigawing Generations port was their fault - the arcade game looks like crap too, and has tons of frame rate issues and the like. Mushihime-sama won't be a big hit no matter what they do with it (no shmups are anymore - DDP:DOJ and ESPGaluda sold good for shmups, but didn't exaclty top the charts), but I'll be brave and put enough faith in them to buy it and ask questions later.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Cthulhu wrote:What has Arika released other than their few Cave ports? Yeah, they were great... but thinking about it, what else have they done?
Nightmare of Druaga. A sequel to two very old school Namco games. Not so popular in the west, but a favorite amongst Japanese retro game fans. Ishtar no Fukkatsu PCB (the 2nd of the two) fetches 30,000 yen or so on YJ.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Arika also developed Magical Tetris Challenge and all the Street Fighter EX games for Capcom, none of which were outstanding.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I think Arika also developed two deep sea diving simulators for Capcom. I have the newest one called Everblue 2. Some nice underwater visuals but the game structure is a bit limited.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have my fingers crossed for more 30fps Type X ports.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Thunder Force wrote:I think Arika also developed two deep sea diving simulators for Capcom. I have the newest one called Everblue 2. Some nice underwater visuals but the game structure is a bit limited.
I really dug Everblue 2. It was SERIOUSLY relaxing. Not a great game, but not one I could be talked into selling either...
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
japtor

Post by japtor »

alpha5099 wrote:
brand1bil wrote:Still I think the previous recent ports of Cave games should be some sort of meassuring tool for future ports (inc. Mushi).
Perhaps. But we don't really know why those games turned out so well. Was Cave intimately involved in the porting process? (Unlikely, from what I understand of the company's philosophy.) Is the arcade hardware easily ported to the PS2? (Does Mushi run on the same hardware as DOJ and Galuda? I'm not sure.) Or was it due to the talent and dedication of Arika? (This might very well be the deciding factor, and we can only hope Taito understands that the bar is set high and they'll have to do the game justice.)
mushi runs on new hardware. at the least it looks like it can push more sprites, and possibly do real alpha channels/transparency (which was faked by previous games using the flicker technique). ketsui was the only other cave game on the pgm hardware (doj, black label, galuda).