gunbird and strikers collections

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
sjewkestheloon

gunbird and strikers collections

Post by sjewkestheloon »

after finally getting myself a ps2 again, i found these two collections. the psikyo vol 1 strikers 1 and 2 and gunbird collection 1 and 2 at 7 pounds and 10 pounds respectively. obviously i'm very tempted and being in pal terretory and not being a seasoned shmupper i've only got strikers 1945 II for the ps1.

what i was wondering is....

is therer anything seriously wrong with these ports? for example slowdown, no tate, etc.

plus can you save scores on the psikyo one? any extras? any help would be greatly appreciated
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I'm guessing you're talking about the PAL versions of these compilations?

Vol.1 is pretty horrible, even the original JPN one. No high-score saving, ugly TATE, messed-up sounds. And the PAL version is lacking 60hz, of course.

Gunbird collection fares better, PAL version has 60hz and TATE, so it's a good deal. It is, however, lacking high-score saving, something that the JPN version has.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

what si wrong with these developers??? surely playing shmups after you've cleared them is to get a hi score. it would take 2 secs development time to implement hi score saving and they just can't be arsed.

cheers for the info mate
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

sjewkestheloon wrote:it would take 2 secs development time to implement hi score saving and they just can't be arsed.
Seriously. Ironically, actually removing the code for high-score saving takes more time, effort, and money than just leaving it be. Perplexing, to say the least. I hate it when western devs pull that crap.