STG covers album: Out Now! Direct download!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MX7

Post by MX7 »

[quote="Zebra Airforce"][/quote]

Brilliant!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I have an idea for a cover. It'll take me a couple days, but I want to give it a try.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I decided to keep working on it, and got it done...

It uses the ships from Radiant Silvergun, Raiden, DoDonPachi, and Layer Section to form the snowflake (along with bullets/bombs from their respective games), with the R-Typep ship canopies as light bulbs (it seemed natural). I also used the bomb from Tatsujin Oh for the background. I figured the text for the album could go in the four open sections. The original is at 300dpi, so if someone wanted to print it, it would come out nice. This is the shrunk version.

Thoughts?
Last edited by The Coop on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

rtw wrote:
The Coop wrote:Thoughts?
I like it :D

Two questions:
. The design with the glowing canopies locks it to a Christmas season
. Shouldn't there be some text like: STG COVERS 2008

rtw
Thanks. Regarding the title, I honestly don't know if STG Covers 2008 is going to be the title or not, so I didn't put it in.
rtw

Post by rtw »

I like it very much, the snowflakes tie it to the winter season and the
blue shades emphasize this as well. I feel the coloured lights are a bit too
much though but that might be my Scandinavian less is more attitude :D

edit:
I managed to delete my previous post in case you're wondering what The Coop is quoting :D

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Alright, now you're just trying to mess with people :lol:

I just uploaded a new version (hit Ctrl+F5 to refresh your cache if it still looks like the previous wordless one). A few tweaks in spots, and the addition of what I'm going to go ahead and guess is the album's title. The font's not permanent if no one likes it (it's Atari Vector), but that's how I thought the lettering could be arranged... assuming the image is used of course.

Edit: Uploaded a second update. Found a black area where some of the background had been deleted somehow. Fixed that, and made the Raiden and DoDonPachi ships look uniformly shaded like the RS and LS ones... for symmetry's sake.
Last edited by The Coop on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

rtw

Post by rtw »

The Coop wrote:What I'm going to go ahead and guess is the album's title. The font's not permanent if no one likes it (it's Atari Vector), but that's how I thought the lettering could be arranged... assuming the image is used of course.
Font looks nice. Would it be possible to make an image without the "light bulbs"
and then put the "STG Covers 2008" on top of the snowflake and then the compilation info at the bottom ?

Code: Select all

STG Covers 2008

Image of SnowFlake

A compilation of...
rtw
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

rtw wrote:
The Coop wrote:What I'm going to go ahead and guess is the album's title. The font's not permanent if no one likes it (it's Atari Vector), but that's how I thought the lettering could be arranged... assuming the image is used of course.
Font looks nice. Would it be possible to make an image without the "light bulbs"
and then put the "STG Covers 2008" on top of the snowflake and then the compilation info at the bottom ?

Code: Select all

STG Covers 2008

Image of SnowFlake

A compilation of...
rtw
Give me a couple days. I'll make that, plus a new version I had a goofy idea for.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

That snowflake is unique and beautiful and also awesome.
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Enhasa- Thanks.

Alrighty, I'm done with the covers...

If you'd like to use one, just click on the image. You'll get the full 300dpi version for printing. I also uploaded the full-sized version of the first cover here
rtw

Post by rtw »

The Coop wrote:Alrighty, I'm done with the covers...
Fantastic effort, love the new one :D Thank you ever so much for the effort!

Now how is it going with the mastering ? I have some webspace to fill :D

rtw
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Those covers are awesome, Coop.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Thanks you two :)

I'll be uploading my third and final remix for this album later tonight (assuming my ISP doesn't fight me like it did last time). I figure it should be up in about 17 hours.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Well, got it done and uploaded...

http://thecoop.110mb.com/music/The_Coop ... ection.zip

I'm also gonna post a link to this...

http://thecoop.110mb.com/music/The_Coop ... he_End.zip

It's a remix I made back in 2004. If you're not interested in using it, that's fine. But I thought I'd offer it for use on the album.
Last edited by The Coop on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Nice. I dig the one without lights.
rtw

Post by rtw »

themachinist wrote:Nice. I dig the one without lights.
So do I :D

If we're going to release this by xmas we need to speed up, I have got the download page up but missing the correct track list and the remastered files.

I sugggest the latest release from The Coop "Reflections" is the last submission and the last track on the album so we can mellow down :D

rtw
joeboto

Post by joeboto »

@rtw : can you re-tag my flac files with proper format when the album is up?(like original artist, composer, etc etc)? thanks in advance :oops:
It is to us a sufficient body in which, fairies and it is packed and can group of play.
rtw

Post by rtw »

joeboto wrote:@rtw : can you re-tag my flac files with proper format when the album is up?(like original artist, composer, etc etc)? thanks in advance :oops:
It's eretsua which is doing the mastering, I'm just doing the hosting :D

rtw
Nate

Post by Nate »

joeboto wrote:
@rtw : can you re-tag my flac files with proper format when the album is up?(like original artist, composer, etc etc)? thanks in advance
That goes for me as well, please...heh. :oops:
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Just as a special note, there won't be any flac or wav files coming from me. I don't have the ability to upload 30+ MB files, as it would take roughly 9-10 hours to do so... for one file. It takes me about an hour to upload 3-4MB file thanks to my connection speed (sub-1kb/s upload), and given the fact that I get bumped off-line regularly, it's simply not doable. Not to mention, I can't tie up my PC's resources for that long (things chug a lot when uploading).

I should have mentioned this before, but it completely slipped my mind. So, sorry, but it's only MP3s from me.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Small update...

I realized that my remix "Reflections" had an extra letter. I wanted it to be "Reflection". So I edited the ID3v2 tags and whatnot, and reuploaded it.

http://thecoop.110mb.com/music/The_Coop ... ection.zip
glitch

Post by glitch »

looks like this thread could use a bump again. -_-;;

The Coop wrote:Image
love that one.

but, just asking, is "Covered in Bullets" forgotten or rejected as title?

eretsua is still up for mastering this stuff by the way, but doesn't have the files yet.
bombs save lives
MX7

Post by MX7 »

glitch wrote:
eretsua is still up for mastering this stuff by the way, but doesn't have the files yet.
I messaged him a while back about sending him the files, but my message is still in my outbox, meaning he either hasn't logged in for a while, or needs to delete his inbox D:
glitch

Post by glitch »

MX7 wrote:
glitch wrote:
I messaged him a while back about sending him the files, but my message is still in my outbox, meaning he either hasn't logged in for a while, or needs to delete his inbox D:
wut?
wait, i'll make him.
bombs save lives
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Awesome, cheers!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

So, do you plan to burn the disc and set a little paypal shoppe for anyone who wants to show his appreciation and buy it physically? That'd be sweet!
X - P - B
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Turrican wrote:So, do you plan to burn the disc and set a little paypal shoppe for anyone who wants to show his appreciation and buy it physically? That'd be sweet!
That would be a VERY bad idea. It doesn't matter how many disclaimers you would put on the site, to any company who owns the rights to the remixed music, you'd look as if you were selling the CDs for profit... something they would not look kindly upon, at all. Even if the money was used only to replace burned discs, it would still be money going to someone else's pocket, and you can bet a C&D (at least) would be the result.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

What Coop said.

As an alternative, I could offer to make high-res artwork for a jewelbox inlay-card and a disc label. If you have a printer capable of doing so, you could print the latter on one of those whitened blank CD-Rs, thus assembling something close to a real CD yourself.

I'd need the parts of Coop's wonderful front cover (fonts, images) for that, but then I could whip up something quite quickly. (After all, designing the packages for CDs is what I do for a living at the moment.)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

The Coop wrote:That would be a VERY bad idea. It doesn't matter how many disclaimers you would put on the site, to any company who owns the rights to the remixed music, you'd look as if you were selling the CDs for profit... something they would not look kindly upon, at all. Even if the money was used only to replace burned discs, it would still be money going to someone else's pocket, and you can bet a C&D (at least) would be the result.
Sorry for being so dense, but would you explain me the difference between the STG cover album and the countless other tribute cds that you can buy out there, like this one for example:

http://www.oneupstudios.com/ous_005.php
X - P - B