6th Annual Top 25 Shmups of All Time! - RESULTS!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

MX7 wrote:Gradius V is simple, easy to get into and pretty. It's fun, and harks back to the days of 'classic shooters', so it has the retro gamer's votes. The fact that it's my girlfriend's favourite shooter underlines exactly why it's at number one when put to a vote. It's the populist choice. Guess we're not quite as hardcore as we like to think we are, eh? :wink:
Yeah, that's probably why it's my top 1 or 2 shmup ever, actually. I loved the old school style shmups like Thunder Force and R-Type. And not only are these rare nowadays, but honestly, I think it's the best of it's type ever. So, it certainly won me over.

s/m
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

why is mushihimesama still on this list
<BEOWOOF> my lifes like battle garegga every time i kill man life becomes harder and the only solution to making things easier is killing ymself.
<SCRUNBABBY> my lifes like gwangs
<SCRUNBABBY> cause .. theres lots of wangs
jpj

Post by jpj »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
jpj wrote:not to burst your bubble, but i think it's just because the game is available in all territories, and is very affordable.
Mmm..that doesn't really ring true. DDP and Battle Garregga, for instance, are both available for FREE in MAME. So, I don't think it's a matter of GV just being played by more people.

s/m
well, DDP and garegga being playable in mame wasn't featured in every single multiplatform games magazine :wink:

nest year predictions for the top 10: pure cave 8)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Dandy J wrote:why is mushihimesama still on this list
Good question. It's fine, but tops material? Nah...

s/m
innerpattern

Post by innerpattern »

jpj wrote: nest year predictions for the top 10: pure cave 8)
I love cave as much as the next guy but they don't have 10 games worthy of the top ten spots. 5 of the top ten? Possibly
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

I'm a HUGE Cave fan and I don't think they have 10 games worth the first ten slots. Three to five, maybe, but not ten -_^

Edit: Actually, given that I haven't played any of their arcade only non-mame games... Maybe they could get pretty close to 10 =P
ForceDevice

Post by ForceDevice »

Arvandor wrote:I'm a HUGE Cave fan and I don't think they have 10 games worth the first ten slots. Three to five, maybe, but not ten -_^

Edit: Actually, given that I haven't played any of their arcade only non-mame games... Maybe they could get pretty close to 10 =P
Considering they have made over 15 shmups and most of them are... as good as you'd expect from Cave, there's actually a pretty high chance that six or even seven of their games appear on the top 10. Three spots are reserved for RSG, Ikaruga and Gradius V, though, so no more than that. =P