Some PS2 Shmup advice please.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Nei First

Some PS2 Shmup advice please.

Post by Nei First »

Double Shienryu
Psikyo Shooting Collection Vol. 2: Sengoku Ace + Sengoku Blade
DoDonPachi Dai-Oujou

They look good how are these games?
Also is DOJ really that difficult to play?
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

It's as hard as nails, but fun. A must-have I'd say.

Sengoku Blade isn't the best shmup in the world, and I never played Ace, nor the new Shienryu.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I'd recommend Dragon Blaze over Sengoku Blade
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I'd recommend Sengoku Ace over Sol Divide
Neon

Post by Neon »

I'd recommend not listening to Ganelon since he likes RPG's :P
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Neon wrote:I'd recommend Dragon Blaze over Sengoku Blade
I'd have to agree, though they are quite different. Sengoku Blaede is a horizontal shooter that's relatively easy to pick up and fun to play. Dragon Blaze is a fairly deep and challenging vertical shooter. Both are very aesthetically pleasing. My guess is that DB will have you coming back for more long after you've tired of SB.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

I'd recommend not listening to Neon since he likes Street Fighter Alpha 3. 8)

Just messing with ya, man. Well, it is true that I'm not a fan of Psikyo's fantasy shooters. But hey, Sol Divide original mode (which isn't on the PS2 version, probably for the better) is sorta an RPG and I sure as hell hate it.

Anyway, DOJ offers enough training like selectable stages with a variable number of starting lives, bombs, hypers, rank, etc. as well as an option to continue off from the included superplay that you get good practice. It also makes DDP feel easier when you get back to the prequel.
adam76

Post by adam76 »

Ganelon wrote:I'd recommend Sengoku Ace over Sol Divide
I'd recommend sleeping over Sol divide! :D

I've always really enjoyed Sengoku Blade and its a hell'uva lot easier than DoDonPachi Dai-Oujou which is a great game but too damn hard for little ol' me!
"What the hell kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper? I have seen some slip-shod, backwater burgs, but this place takes the cake."
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

Damn, some of you guys seem like shmup kings to me, and yet even you guys say DoDonPachi Dai-Oujou is really tough.

I love challenge, but is this game the kind of challenge that can PUT YOU OFF PLAYING?

The game just looks amazing!

Sengokou blade, it's the same as the saturn port right?

Also, don't think I've heard of Dragon Blaze, what's good about it?

Thanx guys!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Here's my topic asking about the PS2 versions of the games: http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic ... light=tell

In contrast, the Saturn version features Marion as an extra character as well as a bonus CD that features a huge array of pictures (official by the main artist, semi-official by other Psikyo artists, and fan stuff) as well as a lame fortune telling game.

Both the Psikyo Vol. 2 on the PS2 and Sengoku Blaede (sic) on the SS cost about $50 so it's your pick.

As for DOJ, do you have any experience with manics? If not, you're in for some harsh schooling, which might not be bad actually as long as you don't get easily frustrated. If you've already 1CC'ed DDP, you can probably expect to reach stage 3 (out of 5) on the first loop after a week or 2 of practice.

Dragon Blaze...isn't that hard to get to the last stage although I haven't played enough to comment on its merits or demerits.
system11

Post by system11 »

Double Shienryu: I really like it, many people don't, many people just say it's too easy (the polygon remake). I reviewed this for the shmups site and never heard the end of it.

Sengoku Ace/Blade - nice pack, both games are solid and there's a variety with horiz/vert. The Dragon Blaze pack is good too - the vert game (DB) is better, the horiz game (Sol Divide) is a POS.

DDP DOJ: Soul crushingly difficult. If you want a slice of Cave style gaming action and this scares you, Espgaluda was also released for the PS2 and is a much kinder game. Still not easy, but it will beat you without making you feel like you've been slapped in the face with a brick.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

DOJ is indeed very difficult, but I would also note that 1) It's not "unfairly" difficult, you just have to practice it to get better, and 2) it makes a nice effort to be accessible to newer players. Aside from adjustable difficulty and such, the game offers a "simulation mode" wherein you can test-play and practice any stage in the game (even the more difficult second loop stages), as well as a "no bullet mode" wherein you can practice chaining enemies without worrying about being shot at. I myself (as you might've guessed) am an unskilled shmupper by most any reckoning, but I still bought DOJ and am glad I did...you might want to try the first DDP first just to get a taste of what you're in for though.
ill6

Post by ill6 »

DDP DOJ looks shit unless you play Tate or RGB in Yoko mode. Everyone tells you its VERY hard because it is but a must buy anyway.

Onto Taito Pack 3 - Everyone will tell you Sol Divide is SHIT because it is. Dragon Blaze is also hard and has Yoko issues but is also a must buy in my opinion.

Onto Taito Pack 2 - Sengoku Ace is kinda shit - a poor mans gunbird really. Sengoku Blade is very good though, very interesting and different. A must buy really.
Rob

Post by Rob »

DOJ is only very hard if you anger the game with rank-inducing hypers. High scorers only. Otherwise I thought it was pretty relaxed. It's always pretty slow so you can wing it in most cases, which isn't possible in many other shooters.
system11

Post by system11 »

Rob wrote:DOJ is only very hard if you anger the game with rank-inducing hypers. High scorers only. Otherwise I thought it was pretty relaxed. It's always pretty slow so you can wing it in most cases, which isn't possible in many other shooters.
Except that after an enjoyable level 1, a challenging level 2 and a tricky l2 boss, it laughs in your face and bitchslaps you into the gutter in level 3, in the largest difficulty jump I've ever seen between levels in a shmup.
system11

Post by system11 »

ill6 wrote: Dragon Blaze is also hard and has Yoko issues but is also a must buy in my opinion.
Er .. what issues? Seems perfectly fine to me, just like the arcade board but in interlace.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Just messing with ya, man.
Same :) our tastes do seem to be about opposite, thoe :P

I heard from a friend PS2 sengoku blade is better than saturn's despite the interlace...truth?
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

Cool guys! :D

I just can't believe how hard people say DOJ is. In a game shop today, one guy who happened to have played it, said to me it's the hardest shmup made, ever!

I'm definatly gonna try and get this one! Along with ESP Galuda. 8)

I'll worry about the others later, though i'm curious about Dragon blaze and Sengoku Blade.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Neon wrote: I heard from a friend PS2 sengoku blade is better than saturn's despite the interlace...truth?
I dunno. Still haven't got Psikyo Vol. 2 yet somce I'm by NO means a Sengoku fan. In fact, I couldn't care less about any Psikyo game. :?