Which were the best joypads ever?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

I think the Saturn 3D pad is the single greatest pad every created.

Which is odd because the Dreamcast pad which is heavily based on it is pretty much rubbish.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
Patmaster

Post by Patmaster »

I didn't said, that the Duo-RX Pad was the first 6 Button Pad, I know that the Avenue was produced earlier. But I think that the Arcade Pad 6 is the better one of the two. I personally don't like that cheaping feeling Avenue Pads.
shmup-systems: jap. Jasper 360 with a custom DC/360 fully Seimitsu modded Arcadestick, PAL Matrix Infinity modded PStwo with a Sanwa(RG)/Seimitsu modded HRAP2! (^_^)
elvis

Post by elvis »

Super Famicom / PAL SNES.

There is no second place. Everyone else loses.
Hewitson

Post by Hewitson »

The American SNES controller is identical to the Super Famicom/PAL SNES controller.

Personally I think the 6 button megadrive controller is FAR superior.
Stormwatch

Post by Stormwatch »

But the L/R buttons are better to DO A BARREL ROLL! :P

Quite poor for fighting games, tho.
Hewitson

Post by Hewitson »

Ideal for Mortal Kombat, thats about it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Stormwatch wrote:But the L/R buttons are better to DO A BARREL ROLL! :P

Quite poor for fighting games, tho.
Or for being held down (i.e. Ikari no Yousai / Operation Logic Bomb) :?
elvis

Post by elvis »

Hewitson wrote:The American SNES controller is identical to the Super Famicom/PAL SNES controller.
Nope. It

1) Has crappy concave buttons for Y and X (no such thing on PAL/NTSCJ)

2) Is fugly (purple motif for the lose)
Hewitson wrote:Personally I think the 6 button megadrive controller is FAR superior.
Personally I think the rubbish buttons and wobbly D-Pad on the megadrive utterly sucked.

I own and love both consoles. My original SNES controllers are still trucking along. My MD controllers meanwhile are busted and broken due to being made poorly, and while they were still working were awful to hold and use. The SNES controllers are exponentially more comfortable, not to mention longer lasting by a factor of almost 3.

Now days I build my own megadrive controllers (hard wired arcade joysticks/buttons - thankfully I only need the 3 button inputs, as I don't play any 6 button games any more). Again, I love the megadrive like my own child. But it's controllers sucked balls.
Hewitson

Post by Hewitson »

elvis wrote:
Hewitson wrote:The American SNES controller is identical to the Super Famicom/PAL SNES controller.
Nope. It

1) Has crappy concave buttons for Y and X (no such thing on PAL/NTSCJ)

2) Is fugly (purple motif for the lose)
Hewitson wrote:Personally I think the 6 button megadrive controller is FAR superior.
Personally I think the rubbish buttons and wobbly D-Pad on the megadrive utterly sucked.

I own and love both consoles. My original SNES controllers are still trucking along. My MD controllers meanwhile are busted and broken due to being made poorly, and while they were still working were awful to hold and use. The SNES controllers are exponentially more comfortable, not to mention longer lasting by a factor of almost 3.

Now days I build my own megadrive controllers (hard wired arcade joysticks/buttons - thankfully I only need the 3 button inputs, as I don't play any 6 button games any more). Again, I love the megadrive like my own child. But it's controllers sucked balls.
I realise the colours are slightly different, however I've owned an American SNES and the buttons themselves (apart from the colour) were exactly the same. Thats not to say they all are, but the ones on mine certainly were.

The official Sega 6 button controllers have a great D-Pad and nice firm buttons in my opinion, they also last longer than the SNES ones in my experience.

The Megadrive layout is much better as well. However I'll be the first to admit that the 3 button controllers are shit.

Each to their own :)
Stan

Post by Stan »

oxtsu wrote:
2nd- Sega Saturn white version (jpn) // d-pad is like butter, best for fighters, excellent button feeling but a little 'detached', umm.. colorful.

Is it any different to the black or grey one with the same shape?
Eltigro

Post by Eltigro »

In no particular order...

Original Genesis 3 button... for nostalgia, sometimes I just hold it and look at it, not even hooked to the console (freak)
TurboGrafx-16 controller... very tough, turbos, not that original, but just well made
Super NES controller... great buttons and button placement, first time (I believe) that we saw shoulder buttons, also one of the first that was really easy to plug into the console

honorable mention: NES dogbone controller that came with toploader NES
azmun

Post by azmun »

For 2D gaming best pads are:

1-Japanese Sega Saturn Pads (basically a variant of the Genesis/Mega Drive 6 button pad since it uses the exact same layout and buttons)
2-SNES/Super Famicom pads

For 3D
1-Dreamcast
2-original PlayStation
3-PlayStation 2
azmun

Post by azmun »

Stan wrote:
oxtsu wrote:
2nd- Sega Saturn white version (jpn) // d-pad is like butter, best for fighters, excellent button feeling but a little 'detached', umm.. colorful.

Is it any different to the black or grey one with the same shape?
Nope, they're pretty much identical. My favorite colors are the white and skeleton or clear black ones.
harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n »

I recently got my 1st Jap Saturn and yes the pad is godlike. After that I'd say the SNES and NES.
Eppur si muove...
gregabney

Post by gregabney »

I dont think anything will be better than the super famicom controller
LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay »

I loved the NES Max
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

1. Saturn (japanese)
2. PCE
3. SNES