More from G.Rev?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

If this does turn out to be a new game in the Darius series, I just hope that G.Rev gives it the Gradius V treatment, instead of adding in some dumb suicide, or other, gimmick.
obxStorm

Post by obxStorm »

RoninBuddha wrote:cool, i enjoyed Border Down, i respect G rev :D

off topic:
you think senko no ronde will be ported?

If they're smart they'll port it. I would imagine that Border Down sold out as I can't find it new anywhere anymore - except for occasional copy on eGouge. There's a market for DC shmups. I think we'll see it late summer.
icepick

Post by icepick »

RoninBuddha wrote:off topic:
you think senko no ronde will be ported?
obxStorm wrote:If they're smart they'll port it. I would imagine that Border Down sold out as I can't find it new anywhere anymore - except for occasional copy on eGouge. There's a market for DC shmups. I think we'll see it late summer.
Kron is in good contact with these developers, and he has said that it's definitely coming to the DC. "Late summer" is probably right, though.

I'm amazed by how a handful of guys can finish one game, immediately start working on another and could be porting the first one at the same time. :lol:

Still on off-topic: You all have seen those Sega AM movies, right? (Hot!)

http://am.sega.jp/utop/closeup/senkoronde_06.html

Back on topic: I can hardly wait for the new Arcadia to be distributed, so that we can hear about this "Under Defeat"! (Curious choice of title?) ... and... Homura. 8)
\\ /\/\ \
neoalphazero

Post by neoalphazero »

icepick wrote:
I'm amazed by how a handful of guys can finish one game, immediately start working on another and could be porting the first one at the same time. :lol:
I believe G.Rev has two teams of three people, perhaps Frog can clarify.

Under defeat sounds like a WWII strategy game more than a shooter :) . Be interesting to see what platform it's on. G.Rev has been doing well, wouldn't surprise me to see this project on Type-X instead of Naomi. *-neo
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

^thanks for that link...
anyways, i will hunt down for a Senko no Ronde cab later, im sure there is one here in shibuya :D

on topic:
one of the reasons for my interest in "UNDER DEFEAT" is if it's still goin to be for teh naomi sytems (but type-X does seem possible), and for a possible, another DC release (hehe, keeping the DC alive is good!)
KY
icepick

Post by icepick »

:lol:

That gratification was almost too fast.

http://click-stick.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=249

G.rev also made the hint on their home page a little more "obvious." 8)
RoninBuddha wrote:(hehe, keeping the DC alive is good!)
Well, it would be good, if the DC actually needed help! :lol:

(That's "laughter of disbelief," mind you.)

Call me hopeful, but I could swear that bottom line of the information list underneath the "Under Defeat" katakana in the middle of the page reads "NAOMI GD-ROM."

Those screens kind of remind me of... erm... Raiden III. EVERYTHING's reminding me of Raiden III, these days.
neoalphazero wrote:I believe G.Rev has two teams of three people, perhaps Frog can clarify.
Ah, I see. All those comparisons between Ikaruga, Border Down and Trizeal had my numbers all mixed up. Er, sort of.
\\ /\/\ \
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I'm wondering if this will be a boss-attack kind of game, where the emphasis is on taking down huge military vessels. The tilting of the chopper shooting angle perhaps suggests focus on taking apart large targets piece by piece from strategic angles. I am also wondering if it is Naomi or some other hardware.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Nice! On click Stick they were comparing this to zero gunner 2, but those little picutres (which really don't tell us too much) remind me more of the rarely played Zero Gunner 1. Well, it hardly matters--G Rev making a vertical shmup. I couldn't be happier!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

Arcadia confirms it's on NAOMI , yayness! another posisble DC port...
KY
Rob

Post by Rob »

CMoon wrote:Nice! On click Stick they were comparing this to zero gunner 2, but those little picutres (which really don't tell us too much) remind me more of the rarely played Zero Gunner 1.
Agreed (unfortunately). Playing field looks slanted, looks to have only 90 degrees of rotation. Not quite ZG3, but I'm all for heli shooters.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Rob wrote:
CMoon wrote:Nice! On click Stick they were comparing this to zero gunner 2, but those little picutres (which really don't tell us too much) remind me more of the rarely played Zero Gunner 1.
Agreed (unfortunately). Playing field looks slanted, looks to have only 90 degrees of rotation. Not quite ZG3, but I'm all for heli shooters.
So am I; but I just hope the rotation mechanic works better, or at least differently, then in ZG 2.
RoninBuddha

Post by RoninBuddha »

^exactly, i never did proggress in ZG2 cause the rotation system annoyed me...

im curious about whethe there will be characters? senko no ronde has some cool char concepts... hopefully this one has a good cast too
KY
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Actually I rather liked the little bit of ZG1 I played--at least, I liked the mechanic of 'lock on allows ship to rotate' instead of a seperate rotate control. Really, ZG2 is a VERY different game than ZG1. Well anyway, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough, and I'm sure I won't be complaining.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

loved the rotation mechanics ZG2 (i say this all the time actually, might as well put it in my sig :lol:). anyway, shmup.com has the same scan linked from their news page (also a listing of those available on Taito Memories Vol. 1) and i can't wait to see what Under Defeat plays like.
I have no sig whatsoever.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Oh man, it looks great. I can't wait to see some better pictures. I'd like a better understanding of how the rotation works. The little drawing only shows 90 degrees of rotation, but is that all? Maybe you can rotate the full circle. I like the idea of the two types, one which rotates with its fire toward its center, the other firing out.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

A two man team making a great looking ZG2'esque game? Grev = the hardest working dev in shooter'dom next to Cave. I really like the gritty visuals so far, looks like a very nice, somewhat old school "vintage" helicopter shmup. I'll second that it will be interesting to see the cast if there is one. Some cute girls would look nice in old flight suits. :D
Thunder Force wrote:I'm wondering if this will be a boss-attack kind of game, where the emphasis is on taking down huge military vessels.
I don't think it will be a boss battle game (i hope not really) because in one picture, the 'copter is clearly flying over a bridge and fighting a lot of small tanks undeneath. And in another shot what looks like a standard grunt turret.Or maybe they're just Treasure'esque warmups allowing the player to grab as much extra ammo before each boss fight. A two man team would lend itself to a smaller boss-fighter type game, but I guess we will have to see. Or maybe GRev wants to show they can make a full length shooter easily on a tiny dev team after their experience with Border Dowm.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Randorama wrote:Border Down is an unofficial sequel of G.Darius, especially in gameplay. Yack and Maruyama (the musician and chief programmer/boss) worked both on Metal Black. Also, Metal Black was meant to be as the third Darius, then became an indipendent title. i think i've put these elements in my guide or review, in case you want to check :?
Border Down has nothing in common with G.Darius that it doesn't have in common with Metal Black. It lifts the whole power up and beam mechanics right from it, uses Yack as the composer, even has some similarites in the ship design. The similarities to G Darius are incidental, just beause MB was a Darius-ish game.

Also it's common knowledge that Metal Black was conceived as part of the Gun Fronteir series, but somehow took a left turn. Although the Darius influence is very obvious it was never supposed to be part of the series.

Anyway, Under Defeat looks pretty slick from what little we can see. I have alot of faith in G.Rev. Not sure I like the tilty camera, but it doesn't look too bad.
neoalphazero

Post by neoalphazero »

Will be interested to hear impressions from location tests. The graphics seem nice enough but the play mechanics and camera are scaring me. *-neo
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

RoninBuddha wrote:Arcadia confirms it's on NAOMI
:D
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
gingerj

Post by gingerj »

RoninBuddha wrote:Arcadia confirms it's on NAOMI , yayness! another posisble DC port...
I hope so....