Darius Gaiden: Saturn vs. PS1...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dave4shmups

Darius Gaiden: Saturn vs. PS1...

Post by dave4shmups »

I've heard bad things about the PS1 port of this game, foremost of which is that it does not have all the levels that the Saturn and arcade versions have.

However, I have also emailed someone on another gaming website who insists that there are NO missing levels, and that the game is a good port.

I have not been able to find any screenshots of the PS1 version; is it truly inferior to the Saturn version?
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Why bother asking. The saturn version is $10 on ebay. Just buy it, don't think!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

The PS1 has a lot of slow down. Better go with the saturn rev IMO
jp

Post by jp »

Saturn version has better sound, minimal slowdown, and just looks nicer.

The PS1 version has... an intro movie.

You decide which is more important.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
llabnip

Re: Darius Gaiden: Saturn vs. PS1...

Post by llabnip »

The Saturn rev is defintely the one to shoot for... and it's dirt cheap. Very enjoyable game but the Saturn port has NO ability to save high scores to the internal memory (same with Gekirindan). Luckily I keep a journal of high scores on paper for my older games ;)
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
Andi

Post by Andi »

The Saturn version has a US release too. That means you can get it in a GIANT jewel case too!

Yes!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

CMoon wrote:Why bother asking. The saturn version is $10 on ebay. Just buy it, don't think!
Because I don't own a Saturn, and am thinking about buying a J-PSTwo once I get a job. (And NO, I'm not selling my Amercan one!) That's why I'm so curious about the PS1 port.

How bad is the slowdown? Is it as bad, for example, as PS1 Souky? Because if it's no worse then PS1 G-Darius, then I could personally care less.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

yojo! wrote:The PS1 has a lot of slow down. Better go with the saturn rev IMO
I second this motion. I own both(where have I said that before?)
Anyway, yea, PSX slows down ALOT. Still playable though. I consider the PSX version as "training wheels" to the Saturn(PCB) version!!!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Oh yea...(read entire thread)...
G-Darius style slowdown for sure. If not more.
Still, get either one you can.

Dave, just sell your soul, and buy everything!!!!!(just kidding Ace!)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Oh yea...(read entire thread)...

:lol: Nice one Twitch!

Nah, I just personally prefer PS1 and PS2 exclusives to Saturn exclusives, with very few exceptions. Which is why I wanted to know about the PS1 port of Darius Gaiden/

Twitch, I don't suppose you could post screens or videos of both for comparison's sake?
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

dave4shmups wrote:Because I don't own a Saturn, and am thinking about buying a J-PSTwo once I get a job. (And NO, I'm not selling my Amercan one!) That's why I'm so curious about the PS1 port.
I don't know what the PS version goes for (I've actually never come across one for sale, but then I've never really looked either), but I'd be surprised if a Saturn and Darius Gaiden combined was significantly more expensive than just the PS version. I got both new for $40 total back in 1998.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

dave4shmups wrote:

Nah, I just personally prefer PS1 and PS2 exclusives to Saturn exclusives, with very few exceptions. Which is why I wanted to know about the PS1 port of Darius Gaiden/

Twitch, I don't suppose you could post screens or videos of both for comparison's sake?

Dude, its the same thing! Its just that the PSX version suffers from slowdown. Like G-Darius, but yet not as bad as Gradius III SNES. (hope this helps, as I cannot offer video knowledge) Sorry Ace, you'll have to take me on my word here.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:

Dude, its the same thing! Its just that the PSX version suffers from slowdown. Like G-Darius, but yet not as bad as Gradius III SNES. (hope this helps, as I cannot offer video knowledge) Sorry Ace, you'll have to take me on my word here.
Well, if it's not as bad as SNES Gradius III, then I probably wouldn't mind it, so thanks!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Zach Keene wrote: I don't know what the PS version goes for (I've actually never come across one for sale, but then I've never really looked either), but I'd be surprised if a Saturn and Darius Gaiden combined was significantly more expensive than just the PS version. I got both new for $40 total back in 1998.
You're certainly correct. Darius Gaiden plus Saturn is maybe $30 + say $10 shipping for $40.

PS Darius Gaiden by itself is about $60 + say $5 shipping due to rarity...

Post by Guest »

I haven't played the Playstation version of Darius Gaiden, so I can't give much in the way of comparison, although I do own the Saturn version, and I can tell you that it's an EXCELLENT port of the arcade game. It's pretty solid all around, save for maybe the fact that the game is hard as HELL(only 3 credits per player) but otherwise it's great.
dai jou bu

Post by dai jou bu »

All this good talk about Darius Gaiden here and there makes me want to play my overly-neglected PC version that I bought on a whim.

When I finally get the nerve to play it, we should do a three-way-comparison!
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

dai jou bu wrote:All this good talk about Darius Gaiden here and there makes me want to play my overly-neglected PC version that I bought on a whim.

When I finally get the nerve to play it, we should do a three-way-comparison!
The PC version is fine- it can save scores, but there is slowdown each time the soundtrack (which came out good) changes. But the original poster of the thread doesn't go in much for PC gaming IIRC.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Tar-Palantir wrote:The PC version is fine- it can save scores, but there is slowdown each time the soundtrack (which came out good) changes.
Sounds like just a problem with the configuration of the CD-ROM. You could get around that by ripping a cd image and mounting it with Daemon Tools.