I've finally gone to Saturn. (Bought a Saturn!)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
FatCobra

I've finally gone to Saturn. (Bought a Saturn!)

Post by FatCobra »

Since I have some major apathy for the current videogame market, I was thinking about taking the plunge and tracking down a JPN Region Saturn and some shmups for it. But, I'll be buying a dusty 10-year old CD-based console from across the sea. I need to know the pitfalls and tips on Saturn ownership.

I'm not too enthusiastic about the games' prices however, $100 for Battle Garegga? $250 for the oh-so-holy Radiant Silvergun? OUCH. But I guess it's better to buy an awesome game for the price of two crappy $50 games right? Also, does the Saturn use a memory card, or does it use some sort of built-in RAM chip like I've heard. And will I need to buy any other dood-dads for the best shmup experience?

I don't know if I even am going to go through with this, because Ebay is such a pain in the ass for me (Once bought an SNES with 10+ games for $130, AND NEVER GOT THE DAMN THING. :evil: I complained but they did nothing). Plus, I'm trying to build a new computer anyway, that isn't also cheap.

But I know deep down inside that I really do want to play Battle Garegga and other fine shmups on a TV screen instead of playing them via Mame on a computer screen.
Last edited by FatCobra on Sat May 07, 2005 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The Saturn does have a limited amount of internal memory, though you need to make sure it has a fresh battery (easy to get and put in) to make it work. Once you start building up your game library, however, you'll probably need a memory card; on that note, there are combination import players/memory cards out there, if you'd rather buy a US system and use that instead.

And as far as RSG goes, I'd say 150$ is a better estimate of what the thing usually goes for; still not cheap, but usually it doesn't break 200. Garegga's pretty pricey right now, but it used to go for 60-80, maybe the price will lower again?

To summarize, I bought myself a Saturn with a couple of games and such for about 40$ a year or so ago, and I definitely don't regret it, as there's some good stuff to be played on the system.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Dodonpachi is a must, I got it for £21.10 on ebay a couple weeks ago. Soukyugurentai and Layer Section arent too pricy either.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Wow, $35 for a JPN Saturn isn't too bad, maybe I'll spring for one when I get paid this upcoming Tuesday.

Or course, I just set up a new bank account, and thanks to a screw up I made during my short time selling stuff on Ebay, (I sold an item, took forever to ship it, and the bitch complained to Paypal and locked my account) I don't know if I can use Paypal. Maybe I can just create another account under a different name? :lol:

If that's illegal, then maybe I can ask one of you guys to help me out. After all, I'll be taking the first step to becoming a hardcore shmupper! :twisted:

Besides, an import console would make an excellent converisation piece.

EDIT - I just noticed that there appears to be a "Victor" verison of the Saturn as well. Is it just a different color or something completely different altogether? Mine's gonna be a Sega anyway.
Last edited by FatCobra on Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Shame about your bad e-bay experience, I hope It wont happen again, some
people suck :x
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Any of the Saturn guides on GameFAQs should answer any general questions you have.

As for special stuff you need for shooters, you won't need anything except a CR2032 battery to save your score for a couple of years or a memory cart to save your scores permanently.

JP Ebay sellers tend to be very reliable so you should have no problems there.

I don't know about the "conversation piece" thing though...
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

Ganelon wrote: I don't know about the "conversation piece" thing though...
Sure it will be,

"What's that thing?"

"A Sega Saturn from Japan."

"You mean an import?"

"Yep."

"Cool. What games you got for it?"

"I'm glad you asked." :twisted:
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Fatcobra, the V-Saturn seems to be identical to the normal one as far as operation goes(I just got one cause I liked the little dog with the gramaphone logo :P ) It's grey and shows a V-Saturn logo instead of the normal SS one on startup but otherwise its just for collector value.

On the other hand, I HEARD that the Hitachi Hi-Saturns could play VCDs right out of the box, for what that's worth. They seem to be less common than V-Saturns.

Edit: You might like Assault Suit Leynos 2, btw...it's shmup-like and has great graphics and big loud explosion noises. Don't think its too expensive these days either.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Go for it. You won't regret it. I finally broke down and purchased a Saturn. Definitely, the best console purchase in years.

I purchased a bunch of shmups for the Saturn: Dodonpachi, Radiant Silvergun ($102), Battle Garegga ($84), Soukyugurentai Otokyu, Batsugun, Layer Section, and Strikers 1945.

They should keep me busy for years.

Post by Guest »

Saturn is definitely a great system, everybody who considers themself a hardcore video game collector should own one.

As far as ebay...be warned, ebay is HELL for getting imports. Most of the time you can be pretty sure that most things are going to sell for about 2x-3x what they're actually worth, mostly because of the way people bid. Shipping can be a nightmare, too.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

The Saturn has a lot of other good non-shmup games too you know....

2D fighters, RPGs, platformers....you name it the Saturn's got it.

But yeah if you're a shmup fan and u like Batsugun, then there's no choice but to get a Saturn.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Soukyugurentai has takin up more of my time than any of the 20+ PS2 titles I've bought.

That should answer your question
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Saturn's a great system, tons of games for it. Lots of Japanese titles. Even some of the games that were released in the US, it might be advisable to go for the Japanese version. If language barriers aren't a hassle, most of the big name US Saturn games are pricey and in high demand, while their Japanese counterparts can often be had for a song.

Still, a lot of games, especially some of the shmups, will be fairly expensive for used games. Then again, if you're used to the prices you pay for new games, not too many will greatly exceed that benchmark.

Personally, I've become very interested lately in amassing a formidible Genesis collection, as oh so many games can be got dirt cheap.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I've bought over 100 import games for the saturn on ebay and never had a single problem. Saturns are very robust for a CD system, probably the best ever.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

MovingTarget wrote:Soukyugurentai has takin up more of my time than any of the 20+ PS2 titles I've bought.

That should answer your question
This man speaks the truth. I don't own a PS2 yet, but I play Radiant, Garegga, Souky and DDP more than any of my DC shmups or shooters on any other home system I have. Only system that comes close is PCE.

They may be really pricey, but if you just save enough money, any one or two of the above games will keep you busy for a looooong time and all have flat out amazing replay value.

Other gems of course include Batsugun and the Strikers series.
PepsimanVsJoe

No regrets

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

I have all-told about 55 Saturn games now.

My non-shmup recommendations.

Shinobi Legions- Aside from the lousy digitized graphics this is one of the best Shinobi games around. Also the best FMVs ever.

The Legend of Oasis- Topnotch sequel to the genesis Beyond Oasis

Riglord Saga/Riglord Saga 2- Shining Force-esque SRPG games. Only the first game(Mystaria/Blazing Heroes) has been translated to english though.

NiGHTs, All three Panzer games, Shining Force 3, etc etc- Gotta get those out of the way.

Sonic Jam- Not as many games as the more recent Sonic compilations but the non-game related goodies like commercials and such is a hoot.

Bubble Symphony- The best Bubble Bobble game with Bubble Memories playing a close second. Why Bust-A-Move replaced this awesome series is beyond me.

Princess Crown- Absolutely GORGEOUS Action-RPG by Atlus. Unfortunately it's a bit shallow in the game-play but it is a truly beautiful 2D game. Expensive tho..and it was depressing when I paid $60+ for the game and it was the "Best collectors"(Greatest Hits) version with the spinecard sporting a 2,800 yen price-tag.(Though that's not to say you can get the GH version for $20-30)

Clockwork Knight 2- Get the US version of this as it comes with Clockwork Knight 1 plus a bunch of extras. Though if you can find it there is a special japanese version of Clockwork Knight 2 that includes both games as well. Great 2.5 Rendered graphics and fine jump on/stab stuff gameplay.

Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight- The Saturn version of Symphony of the Night. Visually it's a step DOWN(Some of the special effects look just sad) but it's a competent sequel otherwise with additional music/levels/maria playable. I wouldn't recommend this too highly though since you can easily score the PSX original for $10-15.

Gungriffon/Gungriffon 2- Great mech-based games that focus more on the "walking tank" idea of mechs instead of "Gundam zippy fast" like Virtual On. Gungriffon 2 includes some cool multiplayer options as well as an awesome Survival mode when you just want to blow stuff up(Though GG2 is Japan only)

Baku Baku Animal- My favorite falling block puzzle game next to Columns. Match the animals to the foods they like to eat. Simple to get into and hard to master..like any other good puzzle game.

Tryrush No Deppy- Very nice though somewhat complicated Action Platformer where you play as a Taxi cab. I say somewhat complicated because of the huge levels that have various minor goals attached to them. Granted it's fairly easy to rush through the game(I'm stuck on the 4th boss though) but with the goals...might take quite awhile.

Congrats on your purchase..one of the finest systems ever and the cream of my collection(I own both a US and JP Saturn..go me).
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

If you want to get into puzzle games, there are lots of options. The big names are Puyo Puyo (Tsu and Sun), Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble (2X and 3), and Super Puzzle Fighter IIX.

However, let me be the first to say, the best Saturn puzzle game I've played is Magical Drop 3. A great fucking game. Try it out in MAME if you can. Little jester guy pulls down orbs from the ceiling, hurls them back up, lots of fun combos. A great game to play in the endless mode. Also, unlike some games *cough*Puyo Puyo*cough*, it's actually playable if you aren't a chaining master.

I don't have the Saturn port yet, it's at the top of my list, but Coin Puzzle Moujiya is also great. Cats, money, it's great fun, and quite a nice twist on the Puyo Puyo format. In MAME it's called Mouja.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

I'm going to get a US Saturn soon, but when I get my Saturn, I'm using the "Swap Trick." That means of opening up your Saturn and get some tape and taped something down (so the Saturn thinks the lid is always close). People say it's bad idea to do it, but my friend owns a US model 2 Saturn and he used the Swap Trick all the time, it works great. Also I know a guy who was using the Swap Trick for 2 years without no problems at all!!!

When I get my Saturn, I worry about that cart slot at the top of the system. I could get one of those 4-in-1 carts that can play imports fine, but I herd that they have problems. :(
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

If buying a Saturn do this.

GO FOR THE JAPAN IMPORT! + step down cable.
Buy either a pro action replay cartridge and use that to play the pal games or eqivalent.

Game wise. Honestly, it has my favourite games. Panzer Dragoon saga, shining force 3, nights and Silvergun.

Shmups some aren't that great but just get these ones and you'll not complain. (top 10 imo)

RSG
Battle Garegga
Batsugun
Dodonpachi
Layer Section
Darius Gaiden
Soukyugurentai
Thunder force 5
Sexy Parodius
Game Tengoku

Japan saturn for under $40? thats like 24 quid not in europe lol, more like 45 pounds.
Vidi Vici Veni
jp

Post by jp »

Hmmm...you're definitely throwing out maximum values for Radiant Silvergun and Battle Garegga there. ;) Both of them combined shouldn't run you $250.

At any rate, keep the following things in mind:
The memory runs off of a CR2032 battery, if this battery dies, you lose ALL your saves. I lost my maxed out PDSaga game because of this, my 4,9xx,xxx Blast Wind score, several games of Princess Crown, and probably a helluva lot more than I'd like to think about. Bottom line: BACK YO' SHIT UP! Granted, a fresh battery typically lasts a couple of years, if not more. :)

Games:
Starter for shmups:
Soukyugurentai (JP)
Galactic Attack (US)
Darius Gaiden (US)
Game Tengoku (JP)
Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus (JP)
Cotton 2 (JP)
Thunder Force V (JP) or (if you haven't played the originals) Thunder Force Gold Pack 1+2 (JP)
Sexy Parodius (JP)

That right there should cost about the same amount as Radiant Silvergun + Battle Garegga. And while both are great games, IMO it'd be better to have 7-8 games to play while waiting on getting 2 more as opposed to having 1-2 games while waiting to get some more. ;)
But hey, if you've got the money then go for it. Radiant Silvergun, IMO, is the best made shmup ever, and is definitely worth the price of admission. No comment on Garegga as I'm saving that for the final game in the shmup collection. 8)

Non-shmup Starter:
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
NiGHTS
X-Men vs. Street Fighter (JP)
Bug!
Clockwork Knight
Virtua Fighter 2
Street Fighter Collection

Once again, all the above combined are cheaper than PDSaga and would give you a great introduction into the Saturn. You'd get the 2D fighters (which the Saturn is king of), you'd get some of the Panzer Dragoon series (which is the best thing on the Saturn IMO), NiGHTS (legendary), and get some of the quircky 2.5D platformers people were so fond of putting on the Saturn.

And if you have a lot of friends over, just go ahead and get Saturn Bomberman and Bomberman Fight!(JP), great games.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
system11

Post by system11 »

And if you thought RSG was expensive....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8164798742
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
jp

Post by jp »

bloodflowers wrote:And if you thought RSG was expensive....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 8164798742

TAROMARU!!! *throws hands up and cheers*

Ironically, probably expensive only because the creator of Radiant Silvergun (Hiroshi Iuchi) did some art for it. :lol: Well, that and because only 7,500 copies were made... and it really is one of the best looking 2D games on the Saturn.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
system11

Post by system11 »

I used to have Taromaru - made a set of screenshots and a vid or two too.

Still got them, can throw them up somewhere if anyone wants to see.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

jp wrote:Well, that and because only 7,500 copies were made... and it really is one of the best looking 2D games on the Saturn.
Where do you pull these numbers from? You always seem to have print run numbers on hand for just about every Saturn game.
bloodflowers wrote:I used to have Taromaru - made a set of screenshots and a vid or two too.

Fuck. Yes.
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

I love my saturn. I have had an american one since 1996, and recently I bought a Japanese V-Saturn and that's all I play now (my 96 US one still works perfect though). For shmups, for me these are essential and the best on the system:

-Hyper duel (cost me $140 for a mint, complete copy, but worth it IMHO)
-Soukyuugurentai (got it for $35 mint/complete about a month ago on ebay)
-Battle Garegga (should run you about $100 these days, a bit more for a mint/complete copy)
-Blast wind (lots of fun, easier than most other shmups, though sorta hard to find and expensive these days)

I haven't played the thunderforce games but those look great. Dodonpachi didn't do anything for me (I sold it years ago).
I have game tengoku but just can't get into it, I don't see what people think is so great about it but maybe I need to give it more time. Radiant silvergun is a bore and the prices for it are laughable (I'd pay $15 for it tops). Use the money you save for RSG and buy Hyperduel or Battle Garegga instead! I just got Metal Black and it's a fun game too if you can find it (pretty cheap, which is nice, ~$30).
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

bloodflowers wrote:I used to have Taromaru - made a set of screenshots and a vid or two too.

I'd love to Bloodflowers; I'm always up for game replay vids-especially if this game is one of the best looking 2D Saturn games; that's some pretty high praise.

twe, I didn't think Tengoku was that great either.

I don't think Ebay is bad at all for import shmups, although I'd certainly try the Trading Station on this site first. I've ordered from plenty of overseas sellers , and I find them to be more honest then most American import selllers. Sorry if that sounds unpatriotic, but IMO it's absolutely true.
Last edited by dave4shmups on Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system11

Post by system11 »

roushimsx wrote:

Fuck. Yes.
http://system11.org/temp/taromaru/index.html
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

You rock Bloodflowers; thanks! :D

DANG that game looks like a beautiful and very fun borderliner!! :shock:

Crap, now I'm back to my "J-PSTwo, J-PSone, or Saturn" debate. :(
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

After browsing prices on EvilBay, I might pick up Strikers 1945 as well. That would be a good starting Saturn shmup I think. Then I will hunt down Battle Garegga. Raident Silvergun is way too overpriced and overhyped for me to deal with.

I may start a Saturn Journal too. :lol:
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

FatCobra wrote:After browsing prices on EvilBay, I might pick up Strikers 1945 as well. That would be a good starting Saturn shmup I think. Then I will hunt down Battle Garegga. Raident Silvergun is way too overpriced and overhyped for me to deal with.

I may start a Saturn Journal too. :lol:
Hey, I've got a Saturn Journal, too. It's got one post, I haven't done anything with it really. My intent to have different posts for all the games, with shots of the packaging, thoughts on the games, screenshots maybe. Someday, maybe, it'll have stuff.

I wholeheartedly recommend Strikers 1945. I prefer it to the sequel. Either way, the port of Strikers 1945 II isn't great, a fair amount of slowdown in some levels.