List of N-Gage shmups?...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dave4shmups

List of N-Gage shmups?...

Post by dave4shmups »

I know about Xyanide; are there any others?

I don't have a cell phone yet, but once I get one I figure I might as well get one that's also good for gaming! :P
mannerbot

Re: List of N-Gage shmups?...

Post by mannerbot »

dave4shmups wrote:I don't have a cell phone yet, but once I get one I figure I might as well get one that's also good for gaming! :P
Won't be this one. Just get a regular cell, phones are for making calls.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

mannerbot wrote:
dave4shmups wrote:I don't have a cell phone yet, but once I get one I figure I might as well get one that's also good for gaming! :P
Yes get a regular mobile phone, It'll save you some money. for some more shmups :P
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

There are no shmups available for Ngage period that I know of. I have read nothingbut bad stuff about the NGage. Even intriguing games that you think would be a blast to play in a local city's wireless network like Puyo are botched.

For good portable shmupping I would buy a Turbo Express or a Nomad, or wait until there is PSP emulation then just buy a small cell phone to go with whatever portable system you got. NGage = pricey waste of money. If they had executed it right it could have been a great little system.
qatmix

Post by qatmix »

get a gp32 as that had PC engine / Snes and Megadrive emulation at full speed ;)
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

qatmix wrote:get a gp32 as that had PC engine / Snes and Megadrive emulation at full speed ;)
Full speed you say..... Might have to purchase one after all :wink:
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

mannerbot wrote:
Yeah, but if you can also play games on them, why the heck not?? :? With all the wireless mulitplayer capability that the DS has, it's too bad you can't also use it to make calls. *shrugs*
BIG

Post by BIG »

I was told that the N-Gage is capable of playing roms,so you might want to look into that.

B-
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

I work for a publisher of mobile games and I cannot agree enough with the advice given here. Stay away from the N-Gage. If you're getting a phone that can play games there are much better phones than this. It is, afterall, primarily your phone. It's a bonus if you can play games on it, but if you just wanted portable games there are of course better choices.

Stay away from this phone! :)

Bill
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

the2bears wrote:I work for a publisher of mobile games and I cannot agree enough with the advice given here. Stay away from the N-Gage. If you're getting a phone that can play games there are much better phones than this. It is, afterall, primarily your phone. It's a bonus if you can play games on it, but if you just wanted portable games there are of course better choices.

Stay away from this phone! :)

Bill
Ok, what phones are out there that have better games then this? And I've already said that I'm NOT just looking for a portable gaming device; like I said, if I can get a phone that has some great gaming on it, why not?
system11

Post by system11 »

The GP32 doesn't run either the PCE or Megadrive emus at full speed. It gets 30fps on the PCE, variable on the Megadrive. This is assuming you have a standard unit that isn't overclocked.

However, it also does Spectrum, Gameboy, C64, Atari 800, etc etc. too
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I'm not looking for a phone that can emulate games, just one that has a good selection of it's own.
serge

Post by serge »

In short, there are no good phone games, thanks to technical limitations and general developers approach to mobile gaming.
But there are some not-too-bad games, like the following two shooters (by the way, both are compatible with N-Gage):

Siberian Strike is available for many Java-compatible phones:
http://www.midlet-review.com/index?cont ... 6&rel=j2me

Sky Force works on Symbian handsets:
http://www.midlet-review.com/index?cont ... el=symbian
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Wow, thanks Serge! Those both look pretty good!-Dave
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

A friend of mine bought a N-Gage last week

We just cant stop making fun of him......
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

serge wrote:In short, there are no good phone games
Japan would disagree with you...

Tons of proof HERE, HERE and HERE :P
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
serge

Post by serge »

Yes, you're right!
Hopefully in the near future I will have a chance to see some of these Japanese games in action, but meanwhile in the real world...
I was very interested in the whole "gaming on a phone" thing, but eventually switched to PocketPC, which is much more capable platform.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Thunder Force wrote:
serge wrote:In short, there are no good phone games
Japan would disagree with you...

Tons of proof HERE, HERE and HERE :P

Ah... Nectaris from Hudsonsoft... an all-time favourite game of mine from the Turbo Grafx-16 days. Very playable on a phone I'd imagine.

Bill
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

dave4shmups wrote:Ok, what phones are out there that have better games then this? And I've already said that I'm NOT just looking for a portable gaming device; like I said, if I can get a phone that has some great gaming on it, why not?
I think the newer Series 60 phones from Nokia are not too bad (7610 type) and the Sony Ericsson K700i is a nice phone. My point is that there aren't too many games exclusive for the N-Gage, certainly maybe only Xyanide for shmups. Thus your decision becomes more of a "what's the best phone" one.

Bill