Component Video

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shatterhand

Component Video

Post by Shatterhand »

I'm googling for this information right now, but I still didn't find an answer for my doubt, and as I know there are some video-philes around here, maybe someone can answer my question.

I've finally got a Component Video cable for my PS2, and the image is really awesomely better. But when I tried turning on progressive scan on Shadow of the Colossus (The first game that came to mind that supported it), my screen got doubled vertically. I have a thick black line a few pixels right of the middle of the screen, and I have the same screen on the left and on the right of this line.

Anyone has any idea of what's that? I don't understand a lot about video outputs and stuff, so try to keep stuff at a simple level please :)
junkeR

Post by junkeR »

Does your TV support 480p (progressive scan)?
Why type of TV? (Tube, LCD, Plasma)

If your TV doesn't support Progressive Scan and you enable it, it can distort the picture and do funky things like yours just did.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

It's a CRT 29' TV. It's very new though, I bought it a couple of months ago.

To be quite honest, I have no idea if it supports progressive scan or not, I first thought that any TV that supports Component video would support Progressive Scan, but it doesn't seems to be the case. I also thought that a TV that doesn't support it would just not show anything on the screen.

And this should be on hardware forum, so I'll be moving it :)
bostongeorge

Post by bostongeorge »

Unless it's a widescreen HDTV CRT then it almost definitely does NOT support progressive scan. Component inputs don't guarantee progressive scan support.

It will still be your best option though, as Component will be the highest quality video connection on your tv even if it's only 480i