Question about Capcom Generation 1 (1942,1943) PSX

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BIG

Question about Capcom Generation 1 (1942,1943) PSX

Post by BIG »

Is the PSX version comparable to its Saturn counterpart? Does it support the tate feature? Also,has anyone gotten their copy of Capcom Retro Collection Vol.1 yet?

B-
Neon

Post by Neon »

Remembered this thread when I saw this one:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

I'm waiting for the new comp. for ps2, it's supposed to have all the generations stuff on one disc, or so I've read.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Neon wrote:Remembered this thread when I saw this one:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

I'm waiting for the new comp. for ps2, it's supposed to have all the generations stuff on one disc, or so I've read.
Really? There's a one-disc compilation coming out for the PS2?

B-
system11

Post by system11 »

I think the new release is supposed to be something different. It wouldn't make sense for them to be releasing the retro collections (which are just generations repackaged) and then also release them again. I have vols 1+2, very nice packaging, if a little impractical.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
BIG

Post by BIG »

bloodflowers wrote:I think the new release is supposed to be something different. It wouldn't make sense for them to be releasing the retro collections (which are just generations repackaged) and then also release them again. I have vols 1+2, very nice packaging, if a little impractical.
Does Vol. 1 (1942,1943,1943 KAI) feature tate for each and all titles?

B-
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BIG wrote: Does Vol. 1 (1942,1943,1943 KAI) feature tate for each and all titles?
It does.

I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed this, but at least in my Vol. 1 (the new re-re-release) the controls float. :? Just like in Night Raid and Zanac Neo, too.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
system11

Post by system11 »

Define 'float'? They seem fine to me.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

bloodflowers wrote:Define 'float'? They seem fine to me.
Meaning that sometimes the ship just moves too much or into a completely random direction when making small, rapid movements. Even after lifting my thumb from the d-pad the ship could still be moving for a split-second.

I know other people have experienced that in Night Raid, but I've never heard anyone beside me dealing with it in Zanac Neo.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

It's no secret I've spent way too much time playing Zanac Neo and I've never had a problem with the controls. :?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Zach Keene wrote:It's no secret I've spent way too much time playing Zanac Neo and I've never had a problem with the controls. :?
It's really a pain playing the game(s) with this handicap, any accurate dodging is practically impossible. Oddly enough, the original Zanacs on the disc work without any controller issues. :?

Oh, and the same problem happens in my Soukyugurentai. Four games do it, all for PSX...I wish I could test the games in a JPN PSX so I could see if the issue is just on my PS2.

My videos
BIG

Post by BIG »

Ghegs wrote:
BIG wrote: Does Vol. 1 (1942,1943,1943 KAI) feature tate for each and all titles?
It does.

I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed this, but at least in my Vol. 1 (the new re-re-release) the controls float. :? Just like in Night Raid and Zanac Neo, too.
Music to my ears.

Tell me,ghegs,just how "floaty" are the controls? Is it really that bad?

B-
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BIG wrote: Tell me,ghegs,just how "floaty" are the controls? Is it really that bad?
Well, if you happen to experience the floatiness at all (as I seem to be in a minority here), it's rather annoying. Sometimes just quickly tapping the d-pad sends the ship much further away than intended, other times the ship might not move at all. The point is, you won't have 100% control over your ship, so no matter how good you are you will die pointless deaths because of this. Having absolutely tight control is mandatory in shmups, here it's loose.

I wish I knew what was causing it as I really don't want to play the games like this. They're not unplayable per se, but the issue is there and it's just not fun to play them like this.

Maybe somebody else who gets this (I think at least Rando experienced it in Night Raid...) can explain what it feels like better.

My videos
BIG

Post by BIG »

Ghegs wrote:
BIG wrote: Tell me,ghegs,just how "floaty" are the controls? Is it really that bad?
Well, if you happen to experience the floatiness at all (as I seem to be in a minority here), it's rather annoying. Sometimes just quickly tapping the d-pad sends the ship much further away than intended, other times the ship might not move at all. The point is, you won't have 100% control over your ship, so no matter how good you are you will die pointless deaths because of this. Having absolutely tight control is mandatory in shmups, here it's loose.

I wish I knew what was causing it as I really don't want to play the games like this. They're not unplayable per se, but the issue is there and it's just not fun to play them like this.

Maybe somebody else who gets this (I think at least Rando experienced it in Night Raid...) can explain what it feels like better.
Thanks for the info.,highly appreciated :)

Say,are all five volumes now available for purchase?

B-
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

BIG wrote: Say,are all five volumes now available for purchase?
Well technically yes, since you can still find most of the Capcom Generations at Play-Asia and otherplaces. Just not the latest renamed re-release "Capcom Retro Game Collection" with the cool booklet, only the first two have been released of those. The games are still exactly the same no matter what the release.

My videos
BIG

Post by BIG »

Ghegs wrote:
BIG wrote: Say,are all five volumes now available for purchase?
Well technically yes, since you can still find most of the Capcom Generations at Play-Asia and otherplaces. Just not the latest renamed re-release "Capcom Retro Game Collection" with the cool booklet, only the first two have been released of those. The games are still exactly the same no matter what the release.
Yeah,I meant the newer Retro Collection,sorry if I didn't make that clear :)

B-
D

Post by D »

The tate is not full screen though. Unfortunatly.