Hooking a computer up to HDTV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
evil_ash_xero

Hooking a computer up to HDTV

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Can you hook a computer up to a HDTV(with HDMI/DVI input) with good results on the emulated games? I haven't tried this myself, and would like to know if it looks good.

Also, if this IS possible, are there any laptops that have video output that could hook into a HDTV?

Obviously, i'm trying to turn my living room into a "all in one" system fest, so any info would be appreciated.

s/m
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Most modern HDTV will fall into two categories:

those HDTV monitor have built-in analog VGA input

and

those with built-in DVI interface (you can buy such VGA adapters to use with DVI input if video card doesn't have DVI ports)...

It's a given that if you do have a video card with DVI support, then the HDTV can support higher resolutions than would be possible with analog VGA input...

Sure, there are some video cards out there with HDMI output. I don't have one with such HDMI output and can't say about with regards to that particular issue...

Playing console games through an XRGB-2 and piped through VGA into my HDTV provides razor sharp results. The end result would be running at 480p on my HDTV setup...

Playing DC games through Japanese RGB cable and piped through an XRGB-2 setup into my HDTV, the presentation is going to be displayed at 480p output. Looks better with "scan-lines" option turned on for completeness for those cool arcade game ports (like with the DC import Yu Suzuki's Gameworks Vol. 1 game disc)...

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
D

Post by D »

Some tv's cannot handle VGA too well, like my Sony set.
more or less: hdmi = dvi + digital sound
So you can get a dvi to hdmi cable and hook up your pc if your pc has dvi out. To get sound, well there are lots of solutions for that!
As for dc, just use the vga, it will look better that any 480i processed signal.

So I would go the dvi to hdmi route.
A hdtv is just a pc monitor + some extra features. So what you can do on your pc monitor you can do on a hdtv as well.
Maybe you should be more precise as to what you are asking.
Just try it and if you have issues, let us know!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

D wrote:Some tv's cannot handle VGA too well, like my Sony set.
more or less: hdmi = dvi + digital sound
So you can get a dvi to hdmi cable and hook up your pc if your pc has dvi out. To get sound, well there are lots of solutions for that!
As for dc, just use the vga, it will look better that any 480i processed signal.

So I would go the dvi to hdmi route.
A hdtv is just a pc monitor + some extra features. So what you can do on your pc monitor you can do on a hdtv as well.
Maybe you should be more precise as to what you are asking.
Just try it and if you have issues, let us know!
Thanks for all the info. What i'm basically wanting is to know if I can just hook my computer into my HDTV and play MAME games without any weird visual glitches.

My TV has DVI input, so I have to use a HDMI to DVI cable to hook up stuff like my 360.

s/m
clp

Post by clp »

i have everything runnin on my hdtv , pc , dcast , ps2 no problems whatsoever , you wont get any graphical glitches with mame why would you itl be the same as any pc monitor .