PS1 shmups that don't work, or have glitches, on the PS2....

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
dave4shmups

PS1 shmups that don't work, or have glitches, on the PS2....

Post by dave4shmups »

OK, I don't think we've done a thread on this on this new forum yet.

The one's I know about are:

Toaplan Shooting Battle-doesn't work
Gradius Gaiden-experiences slowdown on one of the later levels

Any others? Do Cotton Original, Cotton 100%, and ZanacXZanac work OK?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

As far as I've been able to tell the Cotton games seem to work okay on my PS2. And if I'd been able to snag that JPS2/ZXZ/Lots of other stuff deal you had I might've been able to test that one out for you too. ;)
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks man!

I'm pretty sure that, aside from the Toaplan one, all the PS1 shmup compilation packs work fine on the PS2.
FMK

Post by FMK »

My Toaplan Shooting Battle #1 runs, but at half of the original speed.

Also, my R-Type Delta (US ver.) has sound glitches on the third stage (as if the CD was severely scratched). It runs fine on PS1.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

dave4shmups wrote: I'm pretty sure that, aside from the Toaplan one, all the PS1 shmup compilation packs work fine on the PS2.
This site lists:
Gradius Deluxe Pack
Namco Museum Encore
and Toaplan Shooting Battle, among 19 other games.
I'd like to know what the specific issues are with each game.
There is a faq out there with some more information, (I couldn't find it just now) specifically I remember reading more about the problems with Namco Museum Encore. But surprisingly there doesn't seem to be an easily locatable detailed compatibility quide out there. The compatibility faq at Gamefaqs doesn't even appear to mention any problem games.

Once specific game problems are identified it would be helpful and interesting to do some comparisons among different models of the PS2 to see if the PS1 emulation was improved along the line.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Once specific game problems are identified it would be helpful and interesting to do some comparisons among different models of the PS2 to see if the PS1 emulation was improved along the line.
It's almost certain, there are different versions of the 'Playstation driver,' you can check by going to some option menu on the ps2 boot screen. Been awhile since I messed with it.
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

I have never owned a PS1 so I don't know if these are glitches specifically on the PS2 only.. but Soukyu Gurentai and Macross DYRL seem to have have some sound glitches.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I only have a PS2, and I guess I haven't gotten far enough into gradius gaiden to experience problems.
Is Toaplan Shooting Battle good? Worth getting an import PS1 for? It seems that they are pretty inexpensive these days.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

professor ganson wrote:I only have a PS2, and I guess I haven't gotten far enough into gradius gaiden to experience problems.
Is Toaplan Shooting Battle good? Worth getting an import PS1 for? It seems that they are pretty inexpensive these days.
Inexpensive?? Not if you want a new Japanese PSone-the cheapest price I've seen for one of those is $80.00, and that's without shipping and handling.
TVG

Post by TVG »

is there a good boot disc for the ps1? either cheap or downloadable online, so buying a jp ps1 wouldnt be in question.
im quite disapointed that one of the only "arcade perfect" ports of toaplan cant work on ps2.
professor ganson

dave4shmups wrote:
professor ganson wrote:I only have a PS2, and I guess I haven't gotten far enough into gradius gaiden to experience problems.
Inexpensive?? Not if you want a new Japanese PSone-the cheapest price I've seen for one of those is $80.00, and that's without shipping and handling.
Oh, OK, that's not so cheap. My memory was that they were around $40 on EBay, but I'm probably mistaken. This was back in February that I checked.
professor ganson

I see now that you were talking about a NEW Japanese PS1. I was thinking about a used one. You can get these for $35 on EBay. But why buy a new one for over $90 at Play-Asia when you can get a good used one for under $40?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The vagrant wrote:is there a good boot disc for the ps1? either cheap or downloadable online, so buying a jp ps1 wouldnt be in question.
I've used the PSX-Change 2, it works pretty well, and isn't prohibitively expensive. You will hafta put a spring (easy) or a tab (a bit more of a hassle) into the PS to make it work though: they include both with the disc.
MSZ

Post by MSZ »

Stage 1 and 2 in Gradius II(Gradius Deluxe Pack)run in half speed.

I believe one more stage late in the game also runs in half speed too.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

The offending stage in Gradius Gaiden is the Event Horizon one.

In Midway's Arcade Party Pak, the System 2 games will not run. Forget about Toobin', 720 Degrees, and Super Sprint. Thank goodness for the Midway Arcade Treasures PS2 pack which has these games re-ported.

I'll vouch for Zanac X Zanac running just fine on PS2.
Kinect? KIN NOT.