Whats the big deal about GigaWing Generations?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TWITCHDOCTOR

Whats the big deal about GigaWing Generations?

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Its a piss poor port!

You're probably thinking, "Man, Twitch...don't hold back?"

Seriously, this game sucks!

First off, the PS2 port has NO Tate mode. Other than that, it suffers from Hi Res(which ain't bad) but its pixle city man!
The Hi Res makes it hard to watch, and pixle city...INCUDING JAGGIES!!!
No thanks Ace, I ain't buying the piss poor port!
Get GigaWing 1&2 on the Dreamcast instead! These are FAR better in every way imaginable.

If you can tolerate the blindingly shit graphics, its a cool game, but it sucks as a port. That is all.

Its anyone guess why Taito left out TATE mode (Yes, Taito). Takumi made it, but Taito fell asleep with this one.

Note to self: If you ever make a shmup, never let Taito publish it!!!!!!!!
Jaggies are far worse than Raystorm with a broken monitor. Be warned!

BTW: I FINALLY go a chance to play ESPGaluda...It was everything I expected! Its good in other words.
Its good, but it really plays like the Pachis. Kinda "been there done that" feeling. Still, thats good, just don't expect to be blown away.

If Trizeal fails to impress me, I seriously give up on modern shmups!!!
God know's that I have plenty of older good ones to last a lifetime...
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Whatever. I enjoy playing the game.
Dandy J

Re: Whats the big deal about GigaWing Generations?

Post by Dandy J »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:it really plays like the Pachis. Kinda "been there done that" feeling. Still, thats good, just don't expect to be blown away.
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:If Trizeal fails to impress me, I seriously give up on modern shmups!!!
k
Rob

Post by Rob »

If this is a joke I applaud it.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I'm with you TwitchDoctor. There are a couple of die hards who love the game. They've already posted. More power to them. But the port is shite.

My offer still stands: Anyone want to trade a near-mint GWG for PSIKYO 3 DRAGON BLAZE? Anyone?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Trading station has a better success ratio than posting in random threads after slamming the game. It can be reached by clicking on the link to the forum index.

(And how did the game get its condition reduced to near-mint already? :P)
Last edited by Rob on Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Cugel wrote: There are a couple of die hards who love the game. They've already posted.
I'm a die hard "Cave-boy" if anything. It does remind me of the usual Cave shooter but it's definitely not because I'm a "Takumi-boy" that I continue to say that I like GWG.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Rob wrote:Trading station has a better success ratio than posting in random threads after slamming the game. It can be reached by clicking on the link to the forum index.
Stop being defensive about the game. People have a right to their own opinions. Your views about GWG hardly constitute fact.

Anytime anyone posts a different opinion about GWG, you sweep in like a thought police ayatollah in record time.
Rob

Post by Rob »

That was advice to seriously use the Trading Station section of the forum.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Naiera wrote:Whatever. I enjoy playing the game.

Whatever? I would expect a reponse like that if I simply bashed the game for no reason, however, the main gripes I mention are legitimate ones.
The hi-res graphics combined by jaggies really impair vision in this one.
If anything, its better when played in "original" mode, otherwise the bullets will actually float towards you when you move...like in Blazing Lazers.
That may be fine when there are a handfull of bullets,(BL) but in GWG this is ridickalick.

I played it with S-Video, do things look smoother in composite?
ESPGaluda and DOJ looked fine on the same settup.

Hell, even GigaWing 1 on the Dreamcast running composite looks ALOT cleaner than GWG!
Parts of the game felt "choppy" as well. I don't mean normal slowdown either...I mean choppy framerate, which is awfull in a shmup.

I love the first two, but this one stinks.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't notice the jaggies, but I'm playing it in composite and have uncorrected nearsightedness!
sffan

Post by sffan »

The only "chops" I notice are just before the "result" screen and occasionally right before a boss fight. In either case it doesn't interfere with gameplay.

I agree the port sucks, but the game itself is good. Just use your imagination while playing it: Sit really close to the TV to simulate tate, and let your mind fill in the missing frames. :wink:
SHOOT IT QUICKLY !
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

sffan wrote: Sit really close to the TV to simulate tate.
lol, funny.
"It could be that my view on the absurdness of this story is not objective and you don't think it to be unusual at all but I can't help being impressed by this chain of events."
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: Whatever?
Yes, whatever. All your bile has been spewed before and it's starting to sound like a broken record.

No, the jaggies do not bother me and the missing TATE mode hasn't caused me to throw any hissy fits either. That's like your only points of criticism.

I'm playing it with RGB and I think it looks good. Plays good as well. I'm playing Giga Wing as well these days and I'm enjoying both games a lot.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

^ Aren't we getting defensive!

No bile or hissy fits here...its the truth!
TVG

Post by TVG »

DUDE EVERY SHUMPS IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!
THERS NO BAD SHUMPS ONLY SHUMPS U R BAD AT LAFOLOL
LONG LIVE SHUMPS WASDFKA!!!!!

EDIT: CAVE SUX THEY ALWAYS DO BULLETS LOLO
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

I foresee an upcoming thread-lock here! Hope I am wrong though... :roll:

Let's all happily agree that Giga Wing 1 is the better part of the series (I admit as to not having played GWG) beating out GW2 by a mile! :P

Just kidding (though it's my opinion, I can understand people disagreeing...).

:)
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
TVG

Post by TVG »

on a more serious notee, i hope taito encountered difficulties during the port due to hardware/stuff and kinda couldnt do otherwise. not just "hey the port sucks, but lets hope they dont notice it"
time will tell if itsjust a minor thing or if taito just doesnt give a fuck.
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:^ Aren't we getting defensive!
Uhm, no, not really.
Zhon

Post by Zhon »

When we already know where everyone stands, I don't think it's necessary to rehash the same arguments.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Lol, its stupid but I also hate it when people dislike games that I like.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I hate it when people post stupid things.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Are you guys still whining about what I said about you're "precious" game?
Some of you act as though you just spent the last 6 months of your lives coding it or something.
Seriously, if you guys are looking for some drama...well, go watch a soap opera.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Twitch, starting a new thread just to belittle a game when you could've just as easily voiced your opinion in the already existing one is an easy way to get targeted for bitching.

Not to mention complaining about people "still" talking about it a whooping 10 hours later...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Yeah, I don't know if you noticed the main GWG thread Twitch, but all of your complaints have already been voiced almost a month ago. People are pretty much tired of hearing about its techincal shortcomings, by now you either like the game or you don't, and that's the end of it.
jp

Post by jp »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Its a piss poor port!

You're probably thinking, "Man, Twitch...don't hold back?"

Seriously, this game sucks!

First off, the PS2 port has NO Tate mode. Other than that, it suffers from Hi Res(which ain't bad) but its pixle city man!
The Hi Res makes it hard to watch, and pixle city...INCUDING JAGGIES!!!
No thanks Ace, I ain't buying the piss poor port!
Get GigaWing 1&2 on the Dreamcast instead! These are FAR better in every way imaginable.

If you can tolerate the blindingly shit graphics, its a cool game, but it sucks as a port. That is all.

Its anyone guess why Taito left out TATE mode (Yes, Taito). Takumi made it, but Taito fell asleep with this one.

Note to self: If you ever make a shmup, never let Taito publish it!!!!!!!!
Jaggies are far worse than Raystorm with a broken monitor. Be warned!

BTW: I FINALLY go a chance to play ESPGaluda...It was everything I expected! Its good in other words.
Its good, but it really plays like the Pachis. Kinda "been there done that" feeling. Still, thats good, just don't expect to be blown away.

If Trizeal fails to impress me, I seriously give up on modern shmups!!!
God know's that I have plenty of older good ones to last a lifetime...

Twitch,

You really need to quit being so biased. Just because Giga Wing Generations was released on the PS2 and not the DC does NOT make it a bad game. In fact, it apparently should make it a good game, or even, a better game than it initially had potential to be. I mean honestly, this blatant PS2 bashing is going too far yeh hear? YEH HEAR ME!?

As for ESPgaluda, look man, in DDP the chaining works different by 3 decimal places, therefore, it is a completely different game and you are a fool to believe otherwise. Also, one of the bosses has a different bullet pattern during his 5th form, this is after the bullet pattern from the 2nd level boss of DDP in his original form but before the bullet pattern from Dangun Feveron's 4th bosses 3rd form. And by form, I mean changing of bullet patterns.

Good day sir!

</sarcasm>
Last edited by jp on Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
system11

Post by system11 »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: If you can tolerate the blindingly shit graphics, its a cool game, but it sucks as a port. That is all.

GWG: I agree 100%. I really like the game, but the graphics are lamentable.

Galuda: What did you expect? It's a Cave game, they -all- feel like the Pachis. It's my favourite one of theirs though, closely followed by the original Donpachi and then Guwange.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

The recent complaints about ports using high res graphics has made me wonder, when is someone just going to do a high res shooter?

As for Galuda, I just got it the other day and aside from the Cave standad "hold down to slow down" I think it's pretty different than the Pachis.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

Twitch, your timing is horrendous.

Most everyone hated this game when they heard of the lack of tate on another topic. Opinions shuffled when It was finally released, I've seen huge highs and lows for this.

There was never really a big deal about this game anyway. Still many people label it as mediocre... :?
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
TVG

Post by TVG »

jp wrote:
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: snip

</sarcasm>
now that was funny...