An ignorant DOJ question.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dylan1CC

An ignorant DOJ question.

Post by Dylan1CC »

OK, after much thought, I've decided the best way to spend my time, and my tax return (once I get it...) before Mushihime is released, is to buy an import slimline PS2 and DOJ (it's translated Symphony of Bullets right?)

I just have one question, bear in mind the year it was released I was AWOL from the forums for a long time and 2003-2004 was spent almost exclusively on Metroid games, Progear, Shenmue and Ikaruga. So I don't know if it has the black label features on it. So does it? And, I'm guessing if it doesn't I have to do some sort of perfect loop in order to see the last boss/level? :?
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Death Label is accessible right from the start. I think Black Label was arcade-only.
I don't know about true last boss requirements though :\
TVG

Post by TVG »

first off, ive seen 2 translations of dai-ou-jou, its supposed to mean, in ancient japanese either "peaceful death" or "it's better to die"
both translate the essence of the game quite nicely, must i say.

second, yes the requirements for the second loop aresimmilar to DDP, but the greatness of DOJ is that its pretty much the best port ever done.

the practice mode allows you to go to 2-5 directly, not only that, but you can adjust everything, from rank to number of hypers to powerups to number of hypers used (this affects rank), pretty much everything (try to do a 2-5 in practice with max rank, 15 hypers used, 5 hypers stock, and very hard difficulty ;)) not only that, but in the "super replay" section, you can select a replay of 2-5, and grab the controller as the reeplay plays, press a button and play it yourself, genious.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Thanks for the info, guys. So what are the feeatures of death label? Also, I notice NCS is sol out and no copies found on my ebay search so far. Is it pricey to come buy now? I think I'll buy it now before I get my system in case it turns into another Zanac (I buy games before systems a LOT which pays, 5 years ago I got a sealed Radiant from an unwitting seller for just $52 and a sealed Souky from Wolgames for $48 )
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I haven't really played it, but I think Death Label is sort of a boss rush mode (with a whole lot of hypers? Someone (dis)confirm this please)

I used to see copies on eBay from time to time, but that was a year ago.
Your best bet is probably to lurk around the trading station to see if anyone is unloading a copy.
I saw a copy when I was in Hong Kong last year, I really ought to have bought it, $360HKD price tag be damned. I was there when ESP Galuda was released too... but I bought neither of those games... what a wasted trip :(
zakk

Post by zakk »

Before you get all confused and such:

Death Label: PS2 port only feature. It is a boss rush mode with really really really angry bosses.

Black Label: A modification of the original DOJ, a bit more difficult and the scoring was tweaked a bit, but alas, much of that info was on the old forum. I'm sure someone around here knows what exactly was changed. As far as I know, the PS2 port is based on the original DOJ, not black label.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Thanks zakk and iatneH. A boss rush mode sounds vicious and intense. I better find a copy after I get my next paycheck, bummer it's getitng hard to find.
Last edited by Dylan1CC on Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Btw, play-asia lists it as in stock.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-1 ... 0-284.html

I'm not sure if that DVD is the superplay one or not.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

zakk wrote:Btw, play-asia lists it as in stock.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-r-1 ... 0-284.html

I'm not sure if that DVD is the superplay one or not.
Thanks. I just found it there and was wondering the same thing about the DVD myself.
Shearie

Post by Shearie »

You know I'm selling my copy of DOJ and it has the SuperPlay DVD.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

But doesn't every copy of DOJ have the superplay...?
Shearie

Post by Shearie »

They should since it's in the the case.
umi

Post by umi »

For anyone interested in the meaning... Dai-ou-jou does mean "peaceful death". I have the PS2 DDPDOJ poster, and one of the writings in Japanese vertically down the right side in large lettering says "Shinu ga yoi" which is a shortening of "Shinu hou ga yoi" which does translate exactly to "It is better to die". The literal translation is "The way of dying is good", though the "hou" [meaning "way" or "direction"] indicates a comparison, hence "yoi" [good] is translated as "better".
EOJ

Post by EOJ »

umi wrote:I have the PS2 DDPDOJ poster, and one of the writings in Japanese vertically down the right side in large lettering says "Shinu ga yoi"
This is written vertically on the back of the PS2 case as well, you know. In big white lettering.
CMoon

Re: An ignorant DOJ question.

Post by CMoon »

Dylan1CC wrote: So I don't know if it has the black label features on it. So does it? And, I'm guessing if it doesn't I have to do some sort of perfect loop in order to see the last boss/level? :?
Sure it does, but it isn't like you're gonna be playing 'black label', since standard old 'pansy label' is gonna hand you your ass before the end of level 2.

Instead of psikyo's 'monkey - child - very easy - easy - norma l- hard - hardest', DOJ should have a difficulty setting like: 'shmup developer - god - pretty much impossible - impossible - normal - #%$* hard 1 - &$% hard 2.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

About two weeks ago, I saw a very good used copy of DOJ go for $51. For that reason, I have held off on paying the $80 that Play-Asia wants for a new copy. I got Espgaluda new instead because I think that it is more rare, and that it will be more difficult to find used copies of it.

I too am very tempted by the new slim PS2. From what I've read they will have to take it off the market because it infringes on someone else's technology (I think I'm remembering this right). Even though they are so expensive, I was thinking of picking up a Japanese one because PS2s are notorious for burning out at some point, and what would I do without my Japanese PS2?

In any case enjoy the spoils that are coming thanks to filing your taxes! Sadly, my tax return is probably off limits. My wife would (rightly?) be rather pissed/disappointed/frustrated with me if I bought another PS2 when I already have a US one and a Japanese one. Such is life.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Glad to hear you're going for it. It truly is one of the best games ever made, and easily in my top three shmups of all time.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

8 1/2 wrote:Glad to hear you're going for it. It truly is one of the best games ever made, and easily in my top three shmups of all time.
Yeah, your (and others') input in the Mushi PS2 thread helped in deciding. I figure if I'm at least competent with a modern manic game like Mars Matrix (whose bullet swarms remind me aesthetically DOJ's) and can get to level 4 on DDP on one credit, I at least have a tiny chance with DOJ (and a lotta practice of course).

So this year my shooter projects will be:

1 credit Garegga using rank as best I can

Get better at jeweling in Progear

Learn a lot more about Radiant's chaining

Get as good as I can with both DDP (Sat) and DOJ (PS2)
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Dylan1CC wrote:I figure if I'm at least competent with a modern manic game like Mars Matrix (whose bullet swarms remind me aesthetically DOJ's) and can get to level 4 on DDP on one credit, I at least have a tiny chance with DOJ (and a lotta practice of course).
Get ready to have your heart cut out. :twisted:
Davey

Post by Davey »

Dylan1CC wrote: can get to level 4 on DDP on one credit, I at least have a tiny chance with DOJ (and a lotta practice of course).

Even if you can clear the first loop of DDP, DOJ will still crush you. Just so you know. :P
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

But, how far qwould you get in DOJ after spending the same amount of time on it that it took you to clear the first loop in DDP?
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Good call, Dylan. I really think you're going to enjoy the hell out of this one. It's such a great game. Just don't expect to be great at it, right off the bat. It will hand your ass back to you the first few times you play it, and that ass will be in much worse shape than it was before. But if you don't mind a challenge (which I of course suspect that you don't), you will find this game almost infinitely rewarding. Like I said in the Mushi thread, this one's truly life-changing.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Dylan1CC wrote:
So this year my shooter projects will be:

1 credit Garegga using rank as best I can
That alone would be freakin' amazing!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
TVG

Post by TVG »

MovingTarget wrote:But, how far qwould you get in DOJ after spending the same amount of time on it that it took you to clear the first loop in DDP?
kinda irrevelant question if you ask me, it all depends on a lot of stuff not set in stone, il the end, its harder than DDP and thats it.

i think this game is very 1CC able with some time and memorization if you use the type B with shotia (great coverage so less memorization of enemy placement required + a large amount of bombs)
i havent bothered with that tho, as everything screams "CHAIN ME BEYACH" everytime i play.
but lets say you use shotia, that's 3 bombs avaliable from the start, 4 on your next life, 5 on the last.
the 10 mil 1 up is fairly easy to get eventually, so that's 5 more. and thats without counting the 1 up in stage 4 (requires practice to grab, but not if you use a bomb :p)
3+4+5+5=17 effing bombs...and with a bit of practice you can get the 30 mil extend, that's 5 more!!!! (i didnt even count bomb pickups..)
i may be off a bit on numbers since i only play A-E, but you get the point.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Well, chaining more would give you more hypers, which may help you in certain clutch situations.