games you would have passed up due to playing any ports

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SheSaidDutch

games you would have passed up due to playing any ports

Post by SheSaidDutch »

The question of games you would have passed up due to playing any ports

Mine would be Raiden I've played the MD/SNES/PCE versions,

I would look at reviews of the game, hear all about Raiden on these forums.

I thought it's not a bad game but not worth the praise it gets

untill...........

I thought I'd play the arcade version via mame to check Raiden in it's original glory, OMG Raiden is as good as some people say 8)

The little graphical touches and esp the bomb sound :shock:

I'll be checking down my local shop for that copy of Raiden Projects I saw :P
kemical

Post by kemical »

just never play the ibm-pc version of the first raiden... :shock:
i bought it for 5.99$ thinking it would be like the arcade (which i had never played, this was a long time ago), since the back of the box had awesome graphics, but it didn't look anything like them once installed.. (probably were arcade shots, possibly of raiden 2 which i didnt even know existed at the time).

it did have a sweet soundtrack on the cd though, i think im going to reinstall it and see how it was.

HAHA actually , same thing happened when I bought Street Fighter for the ibm-pc for like 9.99$ a very very long time ago, the screenshots on the back looked completely awesome and I was shocked that there was even a 'street fighter 1', i thought the first one was final fight or some old game at the time, and I was also shocked that it would actually be on the pc with those graphics.. so I bought it and it turned out to be nothing like the screenshots, some ega / cga graphics.. pc speaker sound... it was still really fun though. 8)
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

First would be Gradius. I played on the NES, but found out the arcade version is so much better.
Same with Image Fight, I first played the NES version... but then I bought the PCE version (still haven't tried arcade yet) but the PCE version destroys the NES version.
I imagine there is quite a drastic difference between NES and arcade versions of Salamander/Life Force as well..

I'm fairly happy with my Genesis version of Truxton and Hellfire, though.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

iatneH wrote:I imagine there is quite a drastic difference between NES and arcade versions of Salamander/Life Force as well..
Well, yeah, but the thing about NES LifeForce/Famicom Salamander is that it's a completely different game than the arcade Salamander, so the port can't really be compared to the arcade version. I love arcade Salamander to death, but I honestly think the NES/Famicom version is a better game, overall.

The only arcade version I can think of that I have little to no interest in playing is Kyukyoku Tiger. My PC-Engine hu is enough for me.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
iatneH wrote:I imagine there is quite a drastic difference between NES and arcade versions of Salamander/Life Force as well..
Well, yeah, but the thing about NES LifeForce/Famicom Salamander is that it's a completely different game than the arcade Salamander, so the port can't really be compared to the arcade version. I love arcade Salamander to death, but I honestly think the NES/Famicom version is a better game, overall.

I wish more home ports where designed like some of the NES arcade ports.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Contra 1&2 on the NES rule the arcade school!
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:Contra 1&2 on the NES rule the arcade school!
I agree, I prefer the retro minimlist colours of the NES,compared to the drab arcade colours :P
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

SheSaidDutch wrote: I agree, I prefer the retro minimlist colours of the NES,compared to the drab arcade colours :P
Dude, same here. Not to mention the horizontal screen feels a lot more natural than the vertical arcade one (or maybe because I don't particularly like the vertical stages). The only good thing about the arcade versions are that they tend to have a good level of difficulty as opposed to the mild difficulty of the NES games.
it290

Post by it290 »

Yeah, the vertical layout of arcade Contra really makes no sense. Although I do prefer the into-the-screen stages from the arcade version, since they put more pressure on the player.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Yeah, I remember thinking WTF is up with Gryzor????
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I like the NES port of Dragon Spirit quite a bit. It has some cutscenes and an intro stage not in the arcade versions. It also has a better screen orentation than the PCE port.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

heavy unit