Svens Ketsui Challenge! - MAY 17th!! - video update 081119!!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
sven666

Svens Ketsui Challenge! - MAY 17th!! - video update 081119!!

Post by sven666 »

yeah i had pretty good response from the last meet i hosted and i got a kickass idea for the next one, game in focus this time will be Ketsui and the tournament prize will be cash just like last time.
50SEK entrance fee that goes straight into the pot.

after debating with my fellow countrymen we decided on a date.
MAY 17th

anyone here interested in attending? good/bad dates?
any questions, thoughts, ideas?

ed: for all of you thinking of atending here are some hostels you can look into:
http://www.goteborgsvandrarhem.se/
http://www.slottsskogenvh.se/
http://www.minihotel.se/
Last edited by sven666 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
sven666

Post by sven666 »

mulletgeezer and his friend came over last time and i learned two things from that:

1, it is possible to fly to gothenburg with ryanair for practically no money at all if you book about a month in advance.

2, there are very cheap hostels but they also have to be booked a month in advance.
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

sweden + shmups... ownage! ^^

I may well be interested, depends on the date and the games that would be available~! I have no chance at Ketsui since I have no access to it though :p How about a DDP tournament ?!?! ^__^ (j/k)

Last week end of april should be good for me. Almost any week end is I think...
sven666

Post by sven666 »

my setup for this meet wil ofcourse be bigger and badder than the last meet :)

ill have 3 cabs running ketsui back-to-back for the tournament (sorry no other tournament games thistime).

ill have 1 cab for highres stuff (typex, naomi) and 1 dedicated cocktail for horisontal games.
and 2 or 3 egret 2s for running whatever JAMMA the people attending feel like. (most games available) :)

you are very welcome prometheus, i would love to see you play! :)
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

wow that's a lot but wtf do you have 3 ketsui boards ? @___@
sven666

Post by sven666 »

PROMETHEUS wrote:wow that's a lot but wtf do you have 3 ketsui boards ? @___@
lol no im perfectly content with one.. the other two are from local friends of mine.
after years of relentless shmups plugging im finally starting to have an effect on my surroundings :D
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

I doubt I'll be able to make this one as I have two holidays planned within the next 3 montrhs already, but I'd strongly recommend this to anyone else who's interested as Sven is the shmuphost ever :)

Also for anyone interested in other games (especially fighting games, RTS and FPS) Stockholm is worth checking out as there's an excellent games centre there - my friend and I had two evenings of top notch gaming for free :D
sven666

Post by sven666 »

too bad you wont make it MG would have been nice to have you over again, you have a solid Ketsui HS aswell!

thanx for the praise aswell, im glad you guys enjoyed your stay :)
sven666

Post by sven666 »

some of the swedish fellas have suggested MAY 3rd for the meet, anyone have any objections with that date?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I recommend a head-to-head stage 1 chip collection (ala "Ketsui Cup") challenga, as that was a hit at one of my past shmupmeets. Good luck with the meet Sven!
Segafan4life
Banned User

Post by Segafan4life »

How much for a plane ticket form the US?
No One Will Hire Me Because I Work At Wal Mart
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Segafan4life wrote:How much for a plane ticket form the US?
i have no idea mate.

cool idea Dave but the comp will be a balls-to-the-wall score comp im afraid, im hoping for some fierce competiton! :)
sven666

Post by sven666 »

date is set, may 17th.

btw ill have plenty of egret 2s for sale at about this time so if anyone wants a couple of those it'd be a good time to do a trip to sweden! ;)
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Damn, it's on my birthday :D

I am rubbish at Ketsui, given i only played it a couple of times, but I would enjoy playing some shmups I do not have general access to and meeting more shmups people. The Londonmeet was great fun.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

ptoing wrote:Damn, it's on my birthday :D

I am rubbish at Ketsui, given i only played it a couple of times, but I would enjoy playing some shmups I do not have general access to and meeting more shmups people. The Londonmeet was great fun.
yeah im still really dissapointed i missed it :x

hey what better way to spend your birthday than in shooter heaven ;) haha..
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Well, I do not celebrate my birthdays since I am 16, getting older is no achievement, not in the civilised Western world anyway. :D

There are good chances I will be coming.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

ptoing wrote:Well, I do not celebrate my birthdays since I am 16, getting older is no achievement, not in the civilised Western world anyway. :D

There are good chances I will be coming.
you are welcome :) let me know if you have any questions or if you need help organising your stay.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Ta, where exactly will the meet take place? I would have to fly to Stockholm (Skavsta), which is the only destination in Sweden the closest Ryanair to me flies to. I would prolly come earlier and stay longer at a friend near Stockholm.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

ptoing wrote:Ta, where exactly will the meet take place? I would have to fly to Stockholm (Skavsta), which is the only destination in Sweden the closest Ryanair to me flies to. I would prolly come earlier and stay longer at a friend near Stockholm.
i live in Gothenburg which is on the other side of Sweden, plenty of trains and airplanes between stockholm and gothenburg tho, mulletgeezer and his friend did the same trip when they were over earlier this year, not sure what the cost of the trainride was?
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

The train cost about 750 SEK each - quite pricey but that was first class (just nu 1 klass i think it's called, first class but without a meal) which was very nice, a youth ticket in 2nd class on the fast train was about 500 SEK I think. I'd say it would be better to take a flight for anyone young enough to qualify for a youth ticket.

I also landed at Skavsta; anyone who plans to go via that airport should be aware it's actually over 100 miles from stockholm and for me the bus ride into the city took nearly as long as the flight from England :shock:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I could take a train to Marseilles and then fly to Gotenbug with Ryannair but what I heard about Ryannair from the people who wanted to go to the London Meet is not very engaging --;

Do they tell you several days in advance if your flight is cancelled ?
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Hm, how old can you be max for a youth ticket (I am 28 on the 17th of May) But 500 sek would be ok, I do not need 1st class. Poo that ryanair does not go to Gotenburg from Stockholm :/
sven666

Post by sven666 »

ptoing wrote:Hm, how old can you be max for a youth ticket (I am 28 on the 17th of May) But 500 sek would be ok, I do not need 1st class. Poo that ryanair does not go to Gotenburg from Stockholm :/
its 25 and under im afraid :(

prometheus> yeah ryan air suck bigtime but to be honest if you pay £10 for the ticket its worth a shot, i was looking for tickets like a madman after mine got cancelled and the closest competitor was like £250 :P
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

yeah I could get tickets for quite cheap but the important point is : will they tell me before I am in Marseilles if my flight is cancelled, and less importantly will they refund me ?
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

ptoing wrote:Hm, how old can you be max for a youth ticket (I am 28 on the 17th of May) But 500 sek would be ok, I do not need 1st class. Poo that ryanair does not go to Gotenburg from Stockholm :/
1st class is really cool - you get unlimited drinks, a massive bowl of fruit and free fast internet access for the whole journey, also the seats are excellent. There is another type of train you can take that's about half the price I think, but the journey takes around 5 hours :(
sven666

Post by sven666 »

as an added bonus this meet will take place at my new adress, located right in the middle of Gothenburg within walking distance of just about everything! :D
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

This is in the middle of the week I had to plan for vacation (had to plan this last november already)...

Though I'll not be able to challenge you a lot, I'd love to come over and be a part of this. :)

If you don't mind me coming over I can book for that time... :P
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Super Laydock wrote: If you don't mind me coming over I can book for that time... :P
i dont mind at all, in fact i encourage it, you are very welcome :)
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Why not make this another international meet?

For the peeps out of the UK (for example) it's only a few bucks for the flight.
If someone (or more ppl) contacts me well in advance, we could book a room somewhere together.
If this isn't possible for whatever reasons, hostels can be a cheap alternative (I staid almost week in london in january for under 100 Euro in a top class hostel so Gotenburg should be doable as well).

Come on people, a few days of Sweden could be good for anyone (into tall blond girls ;)).

I am waiting till after the 1st week of April to book rooms so let me know if interested. We all could work something out.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
sven666

Post by sven666 »

Super Laydock wrote:Why not make this another international meet?

I am waiting till after the 1st week of April to book rooms so let me know if interested. We all could work something out.
excellent initiative, step up folks! :)

i can easily get a list of hostels here in gothenburg, i think the cheapest i found for mulltegeezer was about €20 a night, looked like a pretty decent standard on the place aswell, everyone speaks english here but lmk if you guys need any help with anything. :)