Every good shmup should have an announcer

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Are announcers the oft-ignored key to shmup success?

Of course!
78%
Announcers are a waste of oxygen.
22%

Total votes: 23

alpha5099

Every good shmup should have an announcer

Post by alpha5099 »

Three cheers for that calm and collect voice of reason. He (sometimes she) will proudly proclaim your weapon selection, pester you to try hard, and add much need levity to saving the universe.

More games need announcers. Pretty much all Konami games tell you to "Destroy them all" and announce something everytime you power up.

DonPachi has one of my favorites. Often the announcer is completely random, but the one in DP seems like a commanding officer, a friendly voice to reassure you during the hectic firefights.

In short, all things being equal, a game with an announcer is better than a game without one.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yeah, announcers do add a touch of humanity into what are otherwise pretty cold games.

Certainly not a key to success but an entertaining inclusion.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

For certain games only, like the ones you mentioned. Especially for upbeat games like Dangun Feveron and Armed Police Batrider.
Sometimes though, like R-Type Final, when the setting is "dark and moody" you don't want an announcer distracting the suspence that the atmosphere provides. You definately want the foreboding sense of being all alone.

On the other hand, I'm one of the few who actually like Silpheed TLP, and the pilots communications with each other are crucial to setting the games mood.
it290

Post by it290 »

I like cool-sounding robotic voices, like the one in Ikaruga. The Donpachi guy is also great. What we really need, though, are more samples like the intro sample in Darius II.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I think the DoDonPachi announcer's voice is quite sexy.. O________o;;;
But the Ketsui announcer's voice less so....

It's also fun when the characters swear or yell, like in ESP RaDe and Shikigami no shiro :)
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Personally I love dialogue/character voices. Philosoma had cool dialogue interaction moments.

Nothing beats Marion's cute laugh, and of course Hei-Cob's death sound.
icepick

Post by icepick »

It's not very flashy, and I get the feeling that I've mentioned it or read it somewhere already, but, I've been meaning to mention how I like how the girl quietly announces the currently-selected weapon mode in Trizeal. :)

I don't think that I've even heard it outside of headphones. Overall though, I think that voices add a human element to the game, particularly if they're... human... voices. Sometimes you want the strong, silent type, though...

Maybe all games should have an announcer, but an option to toggle on/off (with default set to however the developers prefer). I was about to say that I might be annoyed with anyone talking over my Yack in Border Down, but, given the style of the game and music, it would probably actually go over very well, so long as it wasn't laid on too thick.

It'd actually kind of draw me in, in a way! I'd feel as a part of a spectacle, or something. 8)
\\ /\/\ \
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

What Twitchdoctor said...its great when shmups have announcers(I crack up on DDP DOJ when the guy yells WATCH OUT! WATCH OUT!) but it would mess up the mood in some games. And sometimes, it just goes way way overboard(see Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius) :shock:

Presentation really goes a long way to making an otherwise dull game awesome.
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

What I always wanted in shmups and a few other players I've met want it also, id to feel like part of a team, feel like i'm not the only ship but one of a squadron with a bunch of guys who could come in and help out.

Thats what i like about border down theres 3 ships working as a team,
I always wanted radio chatter between the ships like in silpheed, starlancer er halflife etc, with things like ''hes on your tail''

Always think its great in a shmup when you see your fellow ships in the background helping out like in thunderforce 4 and trizeal.
Vidi Vici Veni
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

This thread has got this many posts without mention of Blazing Star? I'm shocked. :shock:

Some people call that annoying, but it fit the game pretty well, and also added to the insanity a bit.

BONUS!
BONUS!
YAHOO!
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

In a lot of non-shmups I've played the voices have gotten irritating so having the option to turn 'em off is a good one. In shmups though the occasional "moon blaster" or "hasshin shimasu!" is fine by me... and I like the DDP girl also
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

iatneH wrote:I think the DoDonPachi announcer's voice is quite sexy..
I always thought she sounded kinda like Plankton's "computer wife," Karen, on "Spongebob Squarepants."

"*sigh..* Holographic meatloaf AGAIN?"
straight

Post by straight »

I like the announcers that make no sense.

"Make a left turn!"
kemical

Post by kemical »

best speech stuff in shooters that I can think of is in nebulasray (although it was 1994 when i was blown away by it) and also in rayforce and raystorm.

" ray 1 to mother ship, approaching, lock set go! ok! this is the mother ship! ok! target lock! ok! check system complete! dispatching! "

also i like the over the top announcer stuff for weapon pickups in metal slug, it just depends on the style of the game if announcers work well.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

I like the female announcers in Thunderforce:

"Sever!"

"Wave!"

"Hunter!"

"Area guard name...Iron Maiden...subname...it was dead, but alive and the same time"
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

tehkao wrote:I like the female announcers in Thunderforce:

"Sever!"

"Wave!"

"Hunter!"

"Area guard name...Iron Maiden...subname...it was dead, but alive and the same time"
I agree, also with the Gradius series, I dont want a movie script in my shooters :wink:
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Yeah kemical, luv that "Rawket lawnchaa!!" The weapon is awesome, but the announcer shouting the name puts the icing on the cake :)
TVG

Post by TVG »

trivia:
LEVEL UP LEVEL UP LEVEL UP LEVLEVLEVLEVEL UP < what game is that?
uwfan

Post by uwfan »

The vagrant wrote:trivia:
psyvariar 2. :wink:
"It could be that my view on the absurdness of this story is not objective and you don't think it to be unusual at all but I can't help being impressed by this chain of events."
TVG

Post by TVG »

close, i was thinking of the first one (seeing as the demo is playing on my TV as im posting)
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

The vagrant wrote:trivia:
IMO buzzing in Psyvariar wouldn't be such a rush if it weren't for that voice.

Said rush is multiplied if you get to the point where it just keep saying "LEVELEVELEVELEVELEVELEVELEVELEVELEVELELELELEVELELEVELUP" o_x