Xevious in tate for PSP? and PSP tate questions... O_o

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CecilMcW00t

Xevious in tate for PSP? and PSP tate questions... O_o

Post by CecilMcW00t »

I think there was a post here already about the Galaga Arrangement on Namco Museum for the PSP. Here is a link to news of the US version with 10 games not on the JP version: http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/namc ... 22526.html

But anyway, it mentions that you can play some of the games in tate... And the screen would indeed be awesome for tate but ermm... Exactly how would the controls work? Does anyone have the import of this? If so how is control set up for tate?
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Image???
now tighter than your sister
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Whoa.... a US-exclusive Namco Museum for PSP including Tate arcade perfect Xevious?

Moved to Shmups Chat, and clarified topic title.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Still, that must be freakin' weird controlling the motion with your finger ABOVE the monitor. Well, it is hard to say, but it looks AMAZING!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
drohne

Post by drohne »

yeah, the grip shown in that picture works really well. you can also use the analog nub as a fire button if you want to, but it's really awkward. can't wait for the us version and xevious.
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Wow that's the first pic of it I've seen. O_O

That looks really awesome! Yeah sorry for the original topic clarity, wasn't sure where to post it.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Too good to be true. I was hoping we'd get some real gaming love on the PSP soon. Ridge Racer is fun and all, but I need some "sprites shooting sprites" action before I can really love a system.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

As a person who has owned a PSP for about 3 weeks, I can say I'm not worried (much) about holding the system that way. It's small enough and so comfortable I honestly think this will work fine. That said though, this increases risk of dropping the system a bit and wouldn't it make more sense to use the L or R triggers for optional fire? :?

Still very cool news, 10 extra games including Xevious. Nice of Namco to do that. Will go nicely with Wipeout and (when I get it) Lumines. :)
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Just wanted to add...
Gamespot: In addition to such games as Dig Dug, Pac-Man, Rally X, Galaga, and Galaxian, the compilation will include exclusive US content in the forms of Xevious, Mappy, Dragon Buster, Dig Dug 2, Bosconian, Tower of Druaga, and King & Balloon.
...I LOVE Mappy and Dig Dug 2. In fact, I like Dig Dug 2 better than the first. Have played it a lot in MAME, chaining and sinking those islands is awesome.

Also, I remember playing Mappy Land (2?) for the NES many years ago, it had a slight platform mini-stage feel to it. I remember one stage where I was floating in a baloon near a haunted house or something. Was a fun game, need to find a copy maybe.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Dylan1CC wrote:Just wanted to add...
Gamespot: In addition to such games as Dig Dug, Pac-Man, Rally X, Galaga, and Galaxian, the compilation will include exclusive US content in the forms of Xevious, Mappy, Dragon Buster, Dig Dug 2, Bosconian, Tower of Druaga, and King & Balloon.
...I LOVE Mappy and Dig Dug 2. In fact, I like Dig Dug 2 better than the first. Have played it a lot in MAME, chaining and sinking those islands is awesome.

Also, I remember playing Mappy Land (2?) for the NES many years ago, it had a slight platform mini-stage feel to it. I remember one stage where I was floating in a baloon near a haunted house or something. Was a fun game, need to find a copy maybe.
Mappy Land isn't Mappy 2. The original sequel was named Hopping Mappy (I think it was renamed Mappy 2 for the US) and plays quite differently from the original.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Y'know, as wide and long as the PSP's screen is, it wouldn't kill Namco to give us Solvalou-it would look perfect on the PSP's screen, IMO.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

BrianC wrote:
Dylan1CC wrote:Just wanted to add...

Mappy Land isn't Mappy 2. The original sequel was named Hopping Mappy (I think it was renamed Mappy 2 for the US) and plays quite differently from the original.
Ah, thanks Brian. I was 12 when I played it so it's been awhile.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

OT, what's the best Wipeout game to play on the PS2? I've read that XL is the best, although there is a PS2 Wipeout game.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

I'm very glad tate is playable on the psp.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

drohne wrote:yeah, the grip shown in that picture works really well. you can also use the analog nub as a fire button if you want to, but it's really awkward. can't wait for the us version and xevious.
Trying the analog nub as the fire button for Dig Dug sort of threw me- I was moving down and trying to press right on the analog to try to shoot to the right ala Robotron for some reason. So, I stick to using the Atari Lynx method (pictured in crithit's post).

Three games in the US version are not yet named apparently- I'd like to see Assault, but this one wouldn't exactly be Tate friendly on PSP if you wanted to use PlayStation style controls. Dragon Saber and Phelios would be great for a couple others- and what about Nebulasray?

King & Balloon is kind of sorry- like a Galaxian rehash. You have unlimited cannons, but you lose a life if the King is kidnapped.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

gameoverDude wrote:Three games in the US version are not yet named apparently- I'd like to see Assault, but this one wouldn't exactly be Tate friendly on PSP if you wanted to use PlayStation style controls. Dragon Saber and Phelios would be great for a couple others-
I'd love to see Phelios.
gameoverDude wrote:and what about Nebulasray?
Now you're just dreaming! :lol:
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

dave4shmups wrote:OT, what's the best Wipeout game to play on the PS2? I've read that XL is the best, although there is a PS2 Wipeout game.
Yes I owned the first Wipeout and XL. XL is just plain awesome. Lots of stuff to do and high challenge keep you coming back for a long time. I never got to play Wipeout 3 though.

And damn... Nebulasray REALLY needs a home port of some kind... :(

Phelios would be great, I still have the Genesis port which was good but still pales in comparison to the Arcade rev. And goodness... that one chick in the cut scenes... Artemis? Insanely hot lol...
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks for the feedback on XL! :D

I just found out about Nebulasray on KLOV. I'll have to try it out on MAME sometime! I don't think there would be any technical problems running it on the PSP, considering that KLOV writes:

"The main CPU is a Motorola 68020 32-bit processor."

I STILL say that, with that wide screen, Namco could finally give us a home port of Solvalou. They could smooth over the textures if they were so inclined; like they did with Starblade with the PS1 Starblade Alpha port.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Xevious is now my personal most wanted game for PSP! 8)
X - P - B
Blade

Post by Blade »

If only Ikaruga and Radiant Silvergun were on PSP in Tate....I can still dream...
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Raiden project!!!! C'mon, they can do it!
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Just to chime in here with the dreamers: I think it's possible we'll see some Cave ports some time for the system. We all know how keen they've been to allow mobile phone ports, so it seems like a logical step to move on to a handheld that could do a near-perfect port. Darkstalkers has already shown that CSP-2 games can be done with class, so perhaps... oh nevermind. I won't even say it.
FULL LOCK is BOMB
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

I think that tate-able games on the PSP are neat, but I -really- don't like the way the controls feel when holding the system on it's side. Can't have it all I guess...