found something new (to me) in Dezaemon 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
captain ahar

found something new (to me) in Dezaemon 2

Post by captain ahar »

first this is totally new to me, so i am posting based on that. apparently there are 5 pre-made games on the disc. i was playing around with the game last night and got distracted reading Lloyd Kaufman's account on the founding of Troma. The demo videos started playing and after looping through the three "featured" games twice, it showed level footage from a game call "Elfin" and another who's name i can't remember, but was was subbed "Super Hard Shooting." They are a vert and a horzie, respectively.

If you press Start while the demo is playing, Dezaemon will log that game as available in the User tab on the Main Menu.

sneakily enough, these two games are the best on the pack. Elfin has some cool compact levels and nice art direction and the other, well, it gets super-hard! the hit-box is very fair, though, so in the end , it's not that bad. anyway, thought i'd share.

also, i realize that this information may be available elsewhere (manual for example :lol:), but as i only look in the manual to "see the pretty pictures" this is great news for me!
I have no sig whatsoever.
raiden

Post by raiden »

incredible. I´ve worked with that thing for over 2 months and never noticed those games. Damn, now I wish I still had it...
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

*fiendishly rubs hands together*
Mwa ha ha! I contributed something.

just thought i'd also rave about the "Super Hard Shooting" game some more. the last boss brings to mind the last phase of the last boss in ESPgaluda... but with bullets. yes, in Dezaemon 2, man i love this game. hardcore tools, yes?
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Any Screens :wink: :P
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

maybe eventually. in order to do so, i'd need to borrow someones digital camera, and find a space online to host.

... unless, you were implying that i am lying. i have no reason to lie about something this cool. :wink:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Feel free to email me any scurvy pics ye be wantin' hosted, I've got space in the brig for 'em, cap'n. ;)
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

captain ahar wrote:maybe eventually. in order to do so, i'd need to borrow someones digital camera, and find a space online to host.

... unless, you were implying that i am lying. i have no reason to lie about something this cool. :wink:
Heh I wasn't implying that you were lying.........well :wink:

Whats the quality like on those pre-made games?

I would love to know what the Dezaemon series can create
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

not that i don't appreciate the humor and effort, this is going to become a "thing" isn't it, ya' scurvy dog (couldn't think of a friendly pirate expression, no offense).

by the way, i am not asking for it to stop. pirate humor never gets old! :D

Limes for my scurvy!

as for the quality, the games show signs of obvious limitations (very little paralax, slight sprite repition, weapons aren't very customizable, etc) but overall they showcase some great work. i wish i knew how to work some these effects. for example they have some great scaling and rotation effects built in. the game can handle a grievious amount of bullets, with little slowdown, as was pointed out elsewhere.

limitations with the actual tools are also present (graphic library size, lack of variety with sound effects, and editing tools are too basic), but all in all it is a very fine package! if only i had more time (and mastery of the japanese language) to apply to my projects.

as for future projects coming from me. i want to make a licensed shooter based on a license that has no business in the shmup world. playing around with the idea of planning a Buffy shooter, cause i am a nerd who loves that awesome, awesome show. :wink:
Last edited by captain ahar on Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

captain ahar wrote:not that i don't appreciate the humor and effort, this is going to become a "thing" isn't it, ya' scurvy dog (couldn't think of a friendly pirate expression, no offense).

by the way, i am not asking for it to stop. pirate humor never gets old! :D

Limes for my scurvy!
Monkey Island insults could start soon :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

As I said in an earlier post, I just cannot bring myself to type "Captain" Ahar consistently, or even to THINK it...it just always registers as "cap'n" with me for some reason. I'll try not to be too obnoxious with it though, just when a good opportunity presents itself. ;)
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

had no idea other posts would come so quickly. some questions answered above.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

I've asked this before but are there any links to games made from the Dezaemon game series?

Screenshots information

also what system had Dezaemon?

I've seen a NES and SNES version well and Saturn (what you have) Captain aha
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Biometal is one of the predesigned games? How does it compare to the SNES version?
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

its a different game. a pseudo-sequel of sorts. first, shield usage is unlimited (most will start tuning out right here), second, no slowdown that i've seen, third, power-ups are distributed differently. it is a bit of fun, and it gets really crazy. i have not played through much of Biometal, thought so i don't know how "oh, shit" that one gets.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BrianC wrote:Biometal is one of the predesigned games? How does it compare to the SNES version?
I think it's a slightly different version of BioMetal, IIRC.
cap'n ahar wrote:s for future projects coming from me. i want to make a licensed shooter based on a license that has no business in the shmup world.
Psst! Pirate shooter! PIRATE SHOOTER! With knife-throwing monkeys and parrots as options! ;)
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

cap'n ahar wrote:s for future projects coming from me. i want to make a licensed shooter based on a license that has no business in the shmup world.
Psst! Pirate shooter! PIRATE SHOOTER! With knife-throwing monkeys
and parrots as options!
;)
that sounds decidedly sweet. i may steal that! i too can be a shmup hero.
TVG

Post by TVG »

is daezamon by the same people as daioh? i looked at the back of the cover the other day (psx) and i think i saw the daioh ship.
raiden

Post by raiden »

The SNES and Saturn versions of Dezaemon actually contain versions of Daioh, so I suppose the team which made the original Daioh at least was involved.
TVG

Post by TVG »

WHAT?

tell me more, please.
TVG

Post by TVG »

ok, here's what i found:
"the third shooter is a pre rendered 3D sprite based game called Daioh P! which is a comedy version of the built in game that was featured on the Super Famicom version of Dezeamon.  "

a remade version in 3D? hmm not that interesting.

also, the sfc version is probably not the same as the arcade (and being sfc, i guess tate would be a bit too much to ask for)

ill just wait til i mod my xbox and play it in mame.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The vagrant wrote:"the third shooter is a pre rendered 3D sprite based game called Daioh P! which is a comedy version of the built in game that was featured on the Super Famicom version of Dezeamon..
"Comedy version?" Hm, maybe it served as the "inspiration" behind "Comic Mode" in Geki-Oh Shooting King...
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

%$#@! I can't get even draw a single pixel in Dezaemon SNES. Even with the patch. Should we take this thread to development and create a "Dezaemon for dummies" topic instead?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How are the SNES and Saturn versions of Daioh? Are the games in Dezaemon complete or demos?
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

it's a full game on Saturn. around 5-7 full length levels with bosses and all. also regarding the vagrants comments on 3d, it's not actually 3d.

Dezaemon 2 includes a 3d tool that is loaded with a few premade models. say you have a ship, you can take pictures of that ship (top, turn, more turn) and then add them to graphics library and use those captured pictures to animate your craft. so essentially, in the final game, everything are still 2d sprites.

the only way i can see it as a comedy version are the "bubbly" graphics, and the annoying sound effects. it can still get pretty hectic though.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

BrianC wrote:Biometal is one of the predesigned games? How does it compare to the SNES version?
played some SNES biometal last night. fun, even though it took me a dozen tries to get the hang of the shield so i could 1-life the first level. i would like to say that it is much better than Gust in my opinion. between how the shield mechanic works and the play of the levels, the saturn version 1.5 pales.