Imperishable Night (Touhou 08; ZUN, 2004)

nZero

Post by nZero »

Competition is sharp enough there :P I'll move up to normal once I figure out where my glasses went.

nZero - 1,975,403,280 - Cb - Marisa - 0.07%

Some absolute bullshit from the game during a couple of Kaguya's last spells (missed 3, 2 by not more than a second and the final one I swear was homing in on me from all directions) else I would have easily passed 2bil.
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

Normal:
Cromarty - 1,293,887,310 - 6b - Ms & Al - 0.84

Forget Kaguya's last spells, I'm stuck on her normal ones. Rainbow Danmaku is hellish. I was very close to clearing it.. isn't that her final actual attack before she goes into last spells?
Next time.. next time.

I need to not get shot down with bombs still in stock. >_>
Your party has been waylaid by monsters.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Seems like I need to improve my Easy score faster. :)
Board updated.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

Easy:
Cromarty - 1,829,339,140 - Cb - Youmu - 0.28

Getting hit in stage 2 sucks.

Normal:
Cromarty - 1,474,954,010 - Cb - Ms & Al - 0.91

Hooray, cleared.
neo

Post by neo »

EASY:
neo - 2,275,536,490 - Cb - Marisa - 0.45% - replay

EDIT: just got a better score, this time I got every single spellcard and finished with max life and bomb. I can't do much better than this:
EASY:
neo - 2,433,631,190 - Cb - Marisa - 0.42% - replay
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Oh, COME ON! I was forced out of the internet for just a week, made a good easy mode score to claim the #1 place, but you had to kill the party. D:

moozooh — 2,299,752,940 — Cb — Youmu — 0.20% (replay).

I know how to improve it, though. Just a tad more effort at Kaguya's last spells, and 2.5 billions are there. Or, better life/bomb endgame bonus, same result.

Updating boards, and one more thing: I'll likely have to be offline again until Friday, and I expect something interesting to happen while I'm away. Zdk, your turn to attempt reclaiming the top score now. :P

[EDIT]
neo wrote:replay
A word of advice: I suggest against uploading scores to temporary webhosts, they expire way too fast. I uploaded your run here, I hope you're ok with that.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

Was there something wrong with my last post that the scores didn't make it onto the board?
):
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Oh damn, sorry. They are there now.
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

:D Thanks.

Is the board for hard mode limited to eight people, or would it eventually be 20 like normal and easy? I won't soon have a worthwhile score for it either way (stage 4 is brutal), I'm just curious.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Having just played a game on a machine with a ~45% frame drop rate, where certain entire sections (and not the ones you would think) ran at 30fps or less, I'd like to say that slowdown does not provide anything close to an unfair advantage in this game. Or any advantage at all. Therefore: on vacation, new score next week maybe, and congratuations to moozooh and neo for putting themselves further out of my reach :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Well, you can force the frame rate down with 3rd party apps and abuse it, which is what I think the programmer added that attribute into the stats screen for. Not necessarily for people with slow systems.
A_Civilian

Post by A_Civilian »

Why not set frame skipping through the Custom program?

There's also disabling fog, buffering, and using minimum effects. And I guess reducing quality to 16-bit, but you can't take screenshots if you do that...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The Extra board needs some love, so I figured I'd give it a go.

After a few days of practice I only got to the boss' 2nd to last spell... it completely confused me and I immediately lost my last two lives :-P

Vorpal - 874,937,920 - Extra - Ym & Yy - 0.18%
Ks

Post by Ks »

Hi.

Sorry for going off-topic, but I just want to ask. Is it illegal to download Touhou games from DoujinStyle?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Cromarty wrote:Is the board for hard mode limited to eight people, or would it eventually be 20 like normal and easy? I won't soon have a worthwhile score for it either way (stage 4 is brutal), I'm just curious.
Yeah, the limit is 20 either way — it's just that there's only so many contestants on that difficulty setting (which makes me wonder, since the game isn't really hard on Hard; it's still easier than stuff like DDP 1st loop in terms of survival).

As for stage 4, I recommend playing with Reimu & Yukari if your goal is to get a 1cc. They don't have sufficient benefits in regards to scoring (after all, you can get equally good score with pretty much every team if you know how to handle them), but they have a huge edge on survival: moderately powerful homing weapons, almost a second long border of life and death, no collisions with familiars, convenient movement speed to handle, small hitbox, and not having to face Reimu on stage 4 as a finisher.
Vorpal wrote:Well, you can force the frame rate down with 3rd party apps and abuse it, which is what I think the programmer added that attribute into the stats screen for. Not necessarily for people with slow systems.
Exactly. However, there is a way to do that transparently to the game since it doesn't check computer's RTC, meaning you can slow it down and still get 0.xx% framedrop. A couple rpy's cheated this way were busted on royalflare, and were then promptly removed from the uploader (in just a few hours each). I still have one of them for MoF, it beats the WR on Lunatic by less than a hundred millions, but movement precision seen there is nothing short of ridiculous. A pity I didn't have the chance to get the 6.5 billion replay for IN, must have been some sick powergrazing there.

Oh, and boards updated.
Ks wrote:Sorry for going off-topic, but I just want to ask. Is it illegal to download Touhou games from DoujinStyle?
Illegal as in "will I get punished for this", no. Illegal as in "ZUN doesn't get payment for his hard work", yes. Your call.
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

Hard mode does make the first half of the game more lively. I sucked at DDP though, on the times I got by stage 3's boss, stage 4 would ruin me. (Stage 4 has the "highway" lined with turrets, I think..)

The major block I have playing the border team is... Marisa. Could just be that I have more practice against Reimu, but Marisa's neat rows of stars hit me too often. I'll try it again.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Marisa has an advantage in that her stars fly considerably slower than all the shit Reimu shoots. And if you shoot her familiars during the regular attacks and only focus to dodge, you can also decrease the amount of spam sent at you by about 2/3 already before her health gauge reaches the middle.
Cromarty

Post by Cromarty »

Okay, I "defeated" Marisa. Then I tried the spells in practice.. Asteroid Belt is terrible, I look at the small stars and the big stars disappear (and vice versa). The others shouldn't be hard to get used to.

Hard:
Cromarty - 746,960,090 - 5 - Rm & Yk - 0.68%
Stage 5 looks exactly the same so far, I have no excuse for what happened there.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

God DAMN that last card, I needed just a couple more bombs to get an all-clear, and have a nice 2.1+ billion score. :x

Hard:
moozooh — 1,764,818,760 — 6b — Rm & Yk — 0.34% (replay).

Normal:
moozooh — 2,183,345,630 — Cb — Rm & Yk — 3.65% (replay).

Made it to top-3. :) Now to get a cleaner playthrough, and 2.7 required billions are mine.

Board updated.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

After some carnage in PCB thread, I got back to claim a place in Hard mode top-3 as well:

moozooh — 2,284,973,860 — Cb — Rm & Yk — 3.49% (replay).

Hourai Jewel is still a brick wall, but at least I managed to survive it… only to fail Kaguya's two easiest last spells, yet amazingly capture the others. No idea how that happened. Otherwise, a pretty decent run, not counting really stupid last spell performance in stages 2 and 5. Even if I captured all the last spells, I'm not sure I'd reach #2, so whatever.

Meh, I guess I'll submit my puny Lunatic score just for the sake of it:

moozooh — 882,513,380 — 5 — Rm & Yk — 1.52% (replay).
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

New Easy mode WR by KWS: 3,069,935,660. It's very odd.

Death on stage 4, during the asshole part between Marisa encounter #1 and #2.
Panicbomb on stage 6, during Kaguya's "salad" attack just before Fire Rat's Robe.

In fact, the entire improvement came only from stages 4 and 5. Stage 6 was a bit worse due to that bomb, which not only meant an instant 2.5 million loss, but also several hundred time orbs.

[EDIT]
As expected, it has been updated. The new score is 3,086,468,340.

Now it's once again a proper no-miss/no-bomb, the ending item worth (counter that defines the value of point items, increments by 10 per collected time orb) is 743,220. However, for a player of KWS's level, it should be realistic to improve it to about ~750,000, which would secure a 3.1+ billion score. Furthermore, stage 2 alone could be milked for at least around 400 more time orbs, increasing the final score by over 4 millions. Collecting a few more point items accidentally lost in stage 5 would increase it by about 2 millions more.

So, I guess a new record will be coming soon, seeing as KWS has been actively working on it.
Momijitsuki

Post by Momijitsuki »

I'm fairly new to games like these, so I think this is a rather decent high score:

Easy:
Momijitsuki -- 1,317,774,170 -- Cb -- Marisa -- 0.516%
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Updated.

Meanwhile, have a look at three amazing replays uploaded recently by あきすて (aka AKST): Easy-A, Normal-B, and Hard-B. The entire Japanese scoreboard was put to shame in one day, especially with the devastating Hard mode replay. I wish the guy ran Lunatic, he'd break 6 billions in no time. o_0
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

Easy:
spongdangly — 1,644,186,750 — Cb — Youmu — 0.27%

Normal:
spongdangly — 746,485,060 — C? — Rm & Yk — 0.16%

My normal run is pretty bunk but I figured I'd post it anyways. I did it awhile ago (was just trying to clear the game) so I can't remember whether or not I chose path A or B.

Great site by the way. And way to have all the hi scores organized nicely.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Welcome to the site; your scores have been updated.

With that, ArrogantBastard leaves the Normal mode board. :)
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

Easy:
spongdangly — 1,772,628,390 — Cb — Youmu — 0.20%

I'm pretty sure that I should be able to top 2 billion points eventually. I just need to stop dieing stupid and fairly easily avoidable deaths (thankfully there isn't any harsh penalties for dieing like in Mountain of Faith). Thanks for the welcome moozooh.
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

Normal:
spongdangly — 1,052,742,510 — 6b — Rm & Yk — 0.37%

My first run in a few days. I think I need to watch some Normal replays and switch up my strategy before I can get a proper hi-score.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

A proper strategy would actually be: use Youmu solo, never fire focused except during Kaguya's second to last survival attack. ;)
Just watch AKST's replay, it shows how well it works when done right (not to mention how pleasant it is to watch).

Board updated.
Impervious

Post by Impervious »

i must confess, i'm a bullet hell noob, so don't be surprised if i made the dumb mistakes that i did :(

but here's my replay:

D - Normal - 943332730 - C - 6B - Border team - 2.169%
http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=883
G. Pepper: Good luck Star Fox!
Fox: I'll do my best! Andross won't have his way with me!
Impervious

Post by Impervious »

i was bored last night, so here

D - Easy - Cleared - Marisa solo - 1,493,622,070 - 0.646% :D

http://replays.gensokyo.org/download.php?id=893

edit* btw, i realied in the middle of stage 2 that i didn't fucus yet, so i decided to keep it a focus-free run. and damn, was i happy that i beat Imperishable Night's End - Morning Mist [Kaguya's last spell] without focusing, lol.
G. Pepper: Good luck Star Fox!
Fox: I'll do my best! Andross won't have his way with me!