Battle Garegga (reborn)

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Broke my medal chain couple of times and gave up to collect medals at all in early stage 6 to manage the rank.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

It sounds about right, it would have been a C-ish run otherwise, I guess.

In my experience, though, if you have a good recall of your overall plan, Garegga can be a relatively game to get back to.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

sweet gain score, plasmo. on your next run you could probably get another million and a half easily if you tried a couple of cycles of the mahou bomber trick on mk2.

I'm debating on whether to start up again on batrider and this game because RFJ is fucking killing me !!!
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Someone just posted a 20mil Gain run at Superplay. The player is the same one who holds the WR at the moment.

By the way Rando, you missed my score:
6,528,250 - Ruldra - Stage 6 - Golden Bat
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

And my score's not in the overall ranking. (delete Cowboy-NOA there btw)
I like chocolate milk

Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Up!
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

B,464,710 - Plasmo - Stage 7 - Gain (ABC)

After several other A scores finally an improvement worth to post. Again I stopped to collect any medals after stage 5. Got to the TLB again.
I still can't do the medal rails, but my stage 5 is getting better and better. I bomb all platforms and can even kill the bosses properly now.
Twiddle wrote:sweet gain score, plasmo. on your next run you could probably get another million and a half easily if you tried a couple of cycles of the mahou bomber trick on mk2.
That's not even remotely possible if you're not purposely cranking the rank up. On low rank you get like 100k from one bomb and I usually don't have more than one bomb when I arrive at BHMKII, thanks to stage 6.
I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

B,557,260 - Plasmo - Stage 7 - Gain (ABC)

Bad run, but at least I have that third place back. Rando's score seems a bit too difficult to beat. I'm confident that I can get C, but I'm not too sure if D is possible for me. It's quite sad that after all these years no westerner has beaten his D,6 score. :?
I like chocolate milk

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Whee competition! Just tried to break your score but Black Heart II was not having any of that. Most evil boss ever >.<

B,306,820 - Vorpal - Stage 7 - Gain (ABC)
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Whee competition! Just tried to break your score but Black Heart II was not having any of that. Most evil boss ever >.<
Competition yay!! :D This will help me to not give up too early, it's boring to beat your own highscore over and over again...
Regarding BHMKII: I actually think he's not that hard. The only dangerous attack is his winder and if you're aggressive enough he will only fire it ONCE before he dies. I'm having much more problems with Glow Squid, both forms of course. The pumping music always gives me too much adrenalin and destroys all of my concentration. But then again it's just too good to turn mute. :wink:

And congrats on that B score!
Last edited by Plasmo on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like chocolate milk

DMC

Post by DMC »

Nice playing, plasmo. Vorpal, too.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Let's skip that next letter and move on...

D,102,100 - Cowboy-NOA - ALL - Gain (ABC)

Score breakdown by stage:

Stage 1: ~520,000
Stage 2: ~3,300,000
Stage 3: ~4,800,000
Stage 4: ~6,200,000
Stage 5: ~9,900,000
Stage 6: ~B,400,000

This was the first time I was able to hold my medalchain during the first half of stage 6, broke it right before the boss. Did several mess-ups here and there, but it still was a good credit for me. Again I had no lives left for Glow Squids head, but this time I was victorious!
I like chocolate milk

moozooh

Post by moozooh »

:o

It's amazing how you manage to churn out scores like that.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

Im truly impressed by you plasmo, and was actually afraid, after all the time you didnt play shmups, you wen a bit rusty, but it doesnt really look like it.
im sure you get randorama in a bit, too.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

next up: driving up rank
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
jpj

Post by jpj »

have you tried suiciding on st2 flamingoes for the extra bomb?

p.s. new avatar at last 8)
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

New monitor… new score.

4,707,270 - Sonic R - Stage 5 - Golden Bat
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

!!

Awesome Plasmo. Gah I feel like the only one who can't ALL this bastard ;-P

Any chance you recorded that run? I don't doubt the validity of your score, but you use the same ship that I do so I was curious if there were any tricks I could stea-- er, borrow for my own benefit ^^
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Unfortunately I can't record my runs (I'm playing the Saturn version), sorry. However, since you're playing on mame, I can watch YOUR replays and help you a bit, giving some tips etc.
I'm playing a very safe and low rank route, having no risks and close to no milking. Getting a C or D in Garegga isn't that difficult if you're using Golden Bat or Gain.
I like chocolate milk

jpj

Post by jpj »

vorpal, you might find this helpful... :wink:

http://www.geocities.jp/garelabo/mov_gain2.html

(link courtesy of zlk :) )
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Or you can dl them from super-play.co.uk:

Part I
Part II
Part II

-----

Just got another C,5 clear and I've finally figured out how to destroy madball for that 1mill pointgain. It's actually all about timing...
I like chocolate milk

CIT

Post by CIT »

Plasmo wrote:Stage 1: ~520,000
Stage 2: ~3,300,000
Stage 3: ~4,800,000
Stage 4: ~6,200,000
Stage 5: ~9,900,000
Stage 6: ~B,400,000
Very nice, congrats! Seems like you got big gains from Stage 2 and played a solid stage 4 with medal rails and boss milking.

Your score gives me hope that I can crack an A-score by streamlining the standard tricks some more. That, and I need a new monitor. :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sadly, I didn't record my B score. It was my first time playing probably in 6 months and I wanted to have a "warm up" session so I could go and work on beating your score ;-P

My old A score however was recorded, I just uploaded it to:

http://webpages.charter.net/bgspencer/inp/v-bg-105.zip

My tactics haven't changed much (if at all) since then. My biggest deficiency seems to be in stage 3, all the rigging/scaffolding on the giant bomber planes I can't milk worth a damn, with Gain. I also just go for the quick kill on Madball Mk II because I just can't seem to safely/reliably milk it.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Watched your .inp
My biggest deficiency seems to be in stage 3, all the rigging/scaffolding on the giant bomber planes I can't milk worth a damn
This section isn't important at all. It's very difficult AND it's not worth a lot (4000 per bit)

Your first four stages are ok, however you really need to learn how to destroy the flying platforms in stage 5 properly, you lose around 200k there. Destroying Mad Ball MkII is basically the same as the first one and is probably the most important thing for you to learn, because he's worth at least 1 million points! In Stage 6 you should destroy the first two big lasercannons with bomb or, if you're not feeling too well about grenade milking Black Heart MkII, even all cannons. For stage 7 it's important to let one cannon alive for every part of the stage to make more small enemies appear. Watch a superplay or read the ST for this, it's even worth it if your medalchain is at 100. Furthermore you should use a bomb for the rearengine right at the beginning of the stage to get another 100k! Another bomb worth to use is for the shrapnel after Glow Squid bursts out. With Gain's bomb you can easily net 400k there, same goes for the shrapnel before the stage 5 boss btw (200k-300k).
If you refine your strategies here and there a D score should easily be possible for you.
Oh and don't ever collect so many surplus items....your rank really went through the roof. :?
I like chocolate milk

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wow, thanks for that critique, I shall get working ;-)
Plasmo wrote:Oh and don't ever collect so many surplus items....your rank really went through the roof.
Yeah, as per the text file, when I lost my medal chain at the end of stage 4 I gave up on playing properly for a while. I should've known better, often my best runs end up being unexpected ;-P
Plasmo wrote:Furthermore you should use a bomb for the rearengine right at the beginning of the stage to get another 100k!
I've always skipped this, wouldn't it be better to save the bomb for Black Heart II grenade milking? Usually one bomb is 250k per grenade-launch, at my rank level.
drboom

Post by drboom »

Some awesome recent scores from you guys.
Broke 3 mil (without using Gain on the stage 2 flamingoes) and I'm starting to put together some strategy for this one. Reading what I can, learning what I can. I think I may try Gain ABC from now on. Seems a bit tough to control with his speed, but maybe the best for the long haul.
3,251,950 - drboom - Stage 3 - Gate of Hell
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

I've always skipped this, wouldn't it be better to save the bomb for Black Heart II grenade milking? Usually one bomb is 250k per grenade-launch, at my rank level.
It really depends on how confident you feel during the BHMKII fight. I'm still too nervous to milk him, that's why I use my bombs in other, easier places. :?
I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

The end of Rando's reign. :wink:

E,077,480 - Cowboy-NOA - ALL - Gain (ABC)

Stage 1: ~550,000
Stage 2: ~3,500,000
Stage 3: ~5,100,000
Stage 4: ~6,700,000
Stage 5: ~A,100,000
Stage 6: ~B,300,000

Lost my medalchain at the beginning of stage 6 (as usual). Ignored the big laserturrets this time and tried to hoard bombs for stage 7.
I like chocolate milk

jpj

Post by jpj »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Man, you're so awesome. :D
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....