Deinterlaced Mushi PS2 (and Ibara)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cody

Post by cody »

D wrote:If there will be some kind of modchip for the ps3, might these hacks also work for the ps3?
Last time I tested, the PS3 will not output 240p even for ps1 games or ps2 games that support it natively (launch model, so ps2 back compat nerfs arent an issue).
This might be able to be fixed via firmware update, but I wouldn't hold your breath.
antron

Post by antron »

SnS2 PPF:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fd0xny0nfwe

still getting the Raiden 3 together. my image was in mds/mdf
nZero

Post by nZero »

Okay, the whole patching the upscaled and interlaced 2D games to run at 240p made sense. Even Psyvariar kind of makes sense since the original arcade game was rendered in lo-res and the PS2 port just upscales that. But why the hell is anyone trying to make 3D games that are interlaced because they are rendered in hi-res (Raiden III, Shikigami 2) run in 240p? If anything I want the 480p output patch and a VGA cable for those.
antron

Post by antron »

nZero wrote:Okay, the whole patching the upscaled and interlaced 2D games to run at 240p made sense. Even Psyvariar kind of makes sense since the original arcade game was rendered in lo-res and the PS2 port just upscales that. But why the hell is anyone trying to make 3D games that are interlaced because they are rendered in hi-res (Raiden III, Shikigami 2) run in 240p? If anything I want the 480p output patch and a VGA cable for those.
you are right about Raiden III. some of the 3d background doesn't do too well (not that it looked good before). You should see Shiki though.

edit: I just looked at the NAOMI sercvice manual and it states that the 15kHz mode is interlaced. is this really the case for all games? is the Atomiswave the same?

edit: reading around the web it seems that AW games can do non-interlaced if they want, but the high res ones don't. I expect the same is true for the NAOMI, considering the dreamcast can. So maybe you guys are right that going from high res to 240p make no sense, but take a look at the hacked Shiki before you say that for sure.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

wow..... finally got around to applying this patch to mushi and ibara.....

man...what a difference!!!

mushi looks a lot better but ibara looks 100X better.....so much clearer and the colors are brighter.....

i will try this with hokuto no ken later
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Well, I wasn't going to bother with this, but after all the good feedback I decided to give it a try...

And in the end, I didn't notice any difference AT ALL! Both for Mushi and Ibara. I played a little on the unpatched version, then the patched one, then the unpatched one again...I really couldn't note anything different.

I'm sure I did all the patching right. But then again, I don't know what interlaced/deinterlaced display is, so I don't know what to look out for :oops:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

odd that you dont see any difference.....are you running it on a modded ps2 or an emulator??

also what kind of screen are you using??

it worked wonders with hokuto no ken as well.....made it much crisper
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I tried this on my modded PS2 and a LCD screen.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ruldra wrote:LCD screen.
A-ha!
antron

Post by antron »

has anyone even noticed a difference with composite or s-video on any display?
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Is there a reason it didn't work on LCD?
antron

Post by antron »

Ruldra wrote:Is there a reason it didn't work on LCD?
LCDs cannot directly display interlaced signals anyway. it was already being processed into some sort of progressive display.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i figured it was an LCD....i run all my consoles through a VGA adapter that takes both composite and s-video....i dont really see any difference
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

hmmmm.....i just tried running it on shikigami no shiro 2 and it cant find either string

is it different....if it is can you post the proper strings im looking for and if the strings im changing it to are different can you post those as well....

and obviously a PPF would be amazing as well.....simplifys the process considerbly
antron

Post by antron »

jonny5 wrote:hmmmm.....i just tried running it on shikigami no shiro 2 and it cant find either string

is it different....if it is can you post the proper strings im looking for and if the strings im changing it to are different can you post those as well....

and obviously a PPF would be amazing as well.....simplifys the process considerbly
the PPF for Shiki is posted (SnS2 PPF)

also, it only works for the Japanese version
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

oops....didnt see that....

thanx for the effort on your part Antron.....good show
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

Ok I don't mean to be a complete penis, but I own a Mac, so any ideas as to what apps for the mac will do the hex-editing end also rip the ps2 disc properly?
antron

Post by antron »

Coryoon wrote:Ok I don't mean to be a complete penis, but I own a Mac, so any ideas as to what apps for the mac will do the hex-editing end also rip the ps2 disc properly?
I don't know about ripping/editing, but if you can get it in iso form there is a mac PPF patcher incuded in the links in earlier posts.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

I've got component cables coming in the mail. I'm psyched to try this out because my HDTV can handle a 480p signal without any noticeable lag, but the lag on a 480i signal makes playing shmups or fighters no fun. Even if Mushi doesn't look any better, this will make it playable without having to switch to the tated SDTV. :D
antron

Post by antron »

dmauro wrote:I've got component cables coming in the mail. I'm psyched to try this out because my HDTV can handle a 480p signal without any noticeable lag, but the lag on a 480i signal makes playing shmups or fighters no fun. Even if Mushi doesn't look any better, this will make it playable without having to switch to the tated SDTV. :D
sorry, this makes is 240p. you want the HD Exploder or something like that.
Lynx Winters

Post by Lynx Winters »

Before I bother patching Ibara, is this going to make any real difference on an SDTV? My PS2 is hooked up via component, so in that regard things won't be getting any clearer. Is this only going to have any real effect on better displays, or will I be able to notice a difference?
KNTain

Post by KNTain »

It will.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i noticed a huge difference after patching it...on a NEC XM29 XTRA 29" with s-video cables.....in tate

mushi looks slightly better but it wasnt as bad to begin with....

on ibara the difference is night and day
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Coryoon wrote:Ok I don't mean to be a complete penis, but I own a Mac, so any ideas as to what apps for the mac will do the hex-editing end also rip the ps2 disc properly?
Mac Hex Editor:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/d ... /0xed.html

Disk Utility might rip the disc. If it doesn't you can use XDumb's ripper:
http://xdumb.free.fr/blog/?page_id=10
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

antron wrote:has anyone even noticed a difference with composite or s-video on any display?
i didnt before....but on my new screen XM29 XTRA running both my DC and PS2 with S-video cables i notice a huge difference.....

it looks amazing.....very very nice

s-video ftw!!

noticable difference with s-video and composite with the supergun as well...s-video looks 100X better
D

Post by D »

antron wrote:
dmauro wrote:I've got component cables coming in the mail. I'm psyched to try this out because my HDTV can handle a 480p signal without any noticeable lag, but the lag on a 480i signal makes playing shmups or fighters no fun. Even if Mushi doesn't look any better, this will make it playable without having to switch to the tated SDTV. :D
sorry, this makes is 240p. you want the HD Exploder or something like that.
Does that work with Mushi?
Is there not somebody who can make al ist of shmups that work with hd exploder or mod-chip? Can somebody share and entice other to enter the world of superior image quality
Regardless odf what he said, the component cable will still make it look better, because I guess rgb is not an option for him.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

I tried this out last night with the component cables. The 240p does not upscale any faster than 480i so it still lags too much. I tried xploder also and couldn't get Mushi (original or with 240p hack) to boot. I also had problems with DOJ, but I suppose I should just zombie that xploder thread to talk about this. (edit: D, at this point, I'm not even as interested in image quality as getting a signal that my roommate's HDTV can upscale without too much lag.)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I tried this on the Japanese Third Strike. It didn't work. A different technique would, maybe. Third Strike is an ugly game compared to the de-interlaced DC one.

I'll try 505 Gamestreet's Samurai Aces next.
antron

Post by antron »

Mikey wrote:I tried this on the Japanese Third Strike. It didn't work. A different technique would, maybe. Third Strike is an ugly game compared to the de-interlaced DC one.
yes 3rdS looks bad on PS2. the other portion of SF Anniversary Collection looks worse.

i have been wondering how the DC treats low res. Thanks for this information about 3rdS. is the DC non-interlaced for many games in 15kHz mode?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

antron wrote:
Mikey wrote:I tried this on the Japanese Third Strike. It didn't work. A different technique would, maybe. Third Strike is an ugly game compared to the de-interlaced DC one.
yes 3rdS looks bad on PS2. the other portion of SF Anniversary Collection looks worse.

i have been wondering how the DC treats low res. Thanks for this information about 3rdS. is the DC non-interlaced for many games in 15kHz mode?
I had a web page with a list of them, but it's on an old dismantled computer. I'll try to get it back. The list included Gunbird 2, Black Matrix, All Street Fighter 3 games, SF Alpha 3 and Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure. Edit: KoF 99 and 99 Evo, Marvel vs. Capcom and Eldorado Gate, I think.