Deinterlaced Mushi PS2 (and Ibara)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shion

Post by Shion »

antron wrote:
Shion wrote:I use a wireless installer though, so I don't have to hook up the HDD in my pc every time ;p
Wireless? You mean ethernet to a wireless bridge?
Ah, mistake. I ment networked. It's just that I upload from my wireless LAN connection to my PS2 (via a router) since they're both in the same network.
indstr

Post by indstr »

Shion wrote:
indstr wrote:wowza!!! i tried this on mushi, it looks about 58 million times better! or maybe only twice as good, but still, huge improvement!

is there a list of other games this works on?
Did you try it on a ps2 or through emulation?

I have a HDD in my ps2, and would consider doing this if I knew how much it would help.
on my actual ps2, hooked up to my 21" viewsonic monitor via a hori upscan converter :)

by the way, i applied the ppf patch for ibara, but i did the hex editing for mushi myself with the free hex toolbox program someone mentioned. hex'ing really wasn't any harder than applying the ppf.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

antron wrote:I'll make patches for the other games this weekend.
Eagerly awaiting the mushi patch as well! Thanks!
antron

Post by antron »

Dave_K. wrote:
antron wrote:I'll make patches for the other games this weekend.
Eagerly awaiting the mushi patch as well! Thanks!
it will be tomorrow evening.
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

i applied the ibara patch file also to my mushihimesama iso and noticed a significantly improvement though not by far as strong an effect as on ibara. the image in mushi, with the (ibara-)patch applied, looks quite a lot less blurry. sort of like a layer of condense has been removed. this makes the ps2 game quite pretty but the scaling still hurts, of course.

ibara, with the patch applied, looks really worlds a part and is a major, major improvement! now it looks almost identical to my ibara black label pcb.

thanks for the patch antron, my hex editor couldn't find the values that needed changing.

ps. i played these on a modded ps2 hooked up to a 22" VGA CRT through a X-RGB-2+ using first party component cables, in case you cared to know for some mysterious reason. ;)
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
antron

Post by antron »

eretsua wrote:i applied the ibara patch file also to my mushihimesama iso and noticed a significantly improvement though not by far as strong an effect as on ibara. the image in mushi, with the (ibara-)patch applied, looks quite a lot less blurry. sort of like a layer of condense has been removed. this makes the ps2 game quite pretty but the scaling still hurts, of course.
PPF patches are just offsets and the change to make at that offset. Cave must have used the same code in the exact same place on the disc, but I cannot guarantee it changed both correctly (in Mushi).

Actually, ReKleSS isn't sure both are needed. In an attempt to get SF AC to work I discovered that only changing the first one still broke the game, and only changing the second did nothing.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

I believe it's actually Sony code, which is why you'll find it in quite a few games. The thing is, Mushi and Ibara both have the string near the end of the disc, and Ibara is about 3x as big... it would have been trying to patch off the end of the disc.
弾もまたいで通る
antron

Post by antron »

ReKleSS wrote:I believe it's actually Sony code, which is why you'll find it in quite a few games. The thing is, Mushi and Ibara both have the string near the end of the disc, and Ibara is about 3x as big... it would have been trying to patch off the end of the disc.

from the PPF dev text file:

Code: Select all

FORMAT : yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy , zz , dd/uu[..]

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  = Offset in file. [64 bit integer]
         zz                = Number of bytes that will be changed. [u_char]
         dd/uu             = Patch data following undo data (if present) [char array]
so I don't see how it could work for both either
antron

Post by antron »

Well, I made the mushi patch and it differs from the ibara one, so I recommend you use it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x2mfdd0sqtg
Last edited by antron on Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Wow, Ibara looks a lot nicer with this patch applied. There's still trace-evidence of the filter, but it's a big improvement clarity-wise. It will be interesting to see if that can be located and disabled too. Worth installing onto your HDD if you have one fitted in your PS2 - it makes those loading screens a lot less troubling.
cody

Post by cody »

Ibara is so much better with this patch. There's still the purple-on-grey to contend with, but the flicker / eyestrain is gone.

Also tried it on the following, all of which did not work, and all of which are (probably coincidentally) on CD media

Castle Shikigami 2 (US release)
Psyvariar (PAL)
Gunbird SE (PAL)

Out of curiosity, is the jpn Shiki II on a dvd or cd?
Blue Peace

Post by Blue Peace »

@antron I downloaded your Mushihimesama patch,now what do I do with it?
EDIT:Thanks Dave_K.
Last edited by Blue Peace on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just a couple more shots!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Blue Peace wrote:@antron I downloaded your Mushihimesama patch,now what do I do with it?
antron wrote:It can be applied with the windows program PPF-O-Matic found here:
http://files.filefront.com/PPFoMatic+Ve ... einfo.html
or the command line ApplyPPF for various OS:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cvogxywzdw3

The patch file (.ppf) should be applied to the image in iso form
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

cody wrote:Out of curiosity, is the jpn Shiki II on a dvd or cd?
CD.

Also, doesn't US Shiki 2 support 480p using the PS2 progressive boot-up trick?
antron

Post by antron »

cody wrote:
Also tried it on the following, all of which did not work, and all of which are (probably coincidentally) on CD media

Castle Shikigami 2 (US release)
Psyvariar (PAL)
Gunbird SE (PAL)

Out of curiosity, is the jpn Shiki II on a dvd or cd?
I just happened to use the Japanese Shiki II. Looks great.
antron

Post by antron »

works on Hokuto no ken

not a shmup but adds a deinterlaced fighter to the console. it seems most are interlaced.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

can somebody post a list of games this is confirmed working on

thanx
KNTain

Post by KNTain »

Ibara is awesome now.

Why would one want to de-interlace an originally hi-res game, out of curiousity?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

KNTain wrote:Ibara is awesome now.

Why would one want to de-interlace an originally hi-res game, out of curiousity?
I also just did patched my mushi and Ibara and they look much closer to the original PCB now!

I believe it was done soley as a cost savings thing for development, using standard display libraries, as I don't think anyone makes a modern game with lowresolution anymore.

BTW: where is the patch for Raiden III?
D

Post by D »

antron wrote:works on Hokuto no ken

not a shmup but adds a deinterlaced fighter to the console. it seems most are interlaced.
:shock:
If there will be some kind of modchip for the ps3, might these hacks also work for the ps3? I don't have a ps2. Or is there a way right now?
I thought there was this blu ray eject mod. I bet nobody even tried to get the hacked ps2 games to work with the eject method on a ps3 yet.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

why would you want a naitive hi-res game made into low res?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
D

Post by D »

Strider77 wrote:why would you want a naitive hi-res game made into low res?
de-interlace is that from 480i to 240p?

A 480p game that has a interlaced 480i port. To de-interlace this makes little sense to me too. The Mr Driller G pcb actually has exactly this feature.

Is de-interlacing never 480i to 480p?
*confused*
antron

Post by antron »

D wrote:
Strider77 wrote:why would you want a naitive hi-res game made into low res?
de-interlace is that from 480i to 240p?

A 480p game that has a interlaced 480i port. To de-interlace this makes little sense to me too. The Mr Driller G pcb actually has exactly this feature.

Is de-interlacing never 480i to 480p?
*confused*
480i to 240p is what we are doing here. there are other things for 480i to 480p, for high res monitors/tvs

So, Hokuto no ken is high res in the arcade? Well it didn't port to 480i well.

edit:
I bet it looks just like an Atomiswave running in 15kHz mode with this hack.

this is the history of interlacing as I undestand it:

interlacing was invented to reduce motion blur due to poor phosphors in early screens
early game consoles didn't use it because they couldn't process 480 lines anyway
newer consoles can process it, so they use 480i, but line flicker (twitter) is visable (up close perhaps, but is fine for TV).

interlacing as also a way to increase the refresh rate with the same transmission bandwidth, and is a bigger reason why it was used in TVs. this increased refresh rate is why you will sometimes read that interlacing decreased 'screen flicker'. it did. what it introduced was jumping between adjacent scanlines, or twitter.

I still don't understand why so many console games use 480i. why don't arcade boards? is it the distance they expect you to be from the screen? can anyone answer this?
Last edited by antron on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
antron

Post by antron »

Dave_K. wrote: I believe it was done soley as a cost savings thing for development, using standard display libraries, as I don't think anyone makes a modern game with lowresolution anymore.
you mean on a console?
Dave_K. wrote: BTW: where is the patch for Raiden III?
I'll put one together.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The manual hacks for Raiden and Hokuta no Ken are the exact same as mentioned in the initial posting, right ? Same with Shiki 2 japanese ?

The list so far is:

Ibara
Mushihimesama
Raiden 3
Shiki 2 (jp only)
Hokuto no Ken

Would be interesting to try with the other 480i beat'em ups, like Arcana Heart et al...
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

But Arcana Heart is hires... I still haven't heard any results for using the HDTV exploder in 480p mode. That would be more appropriate, if it works. Now that I have a HDTV I should try that.
弾もまたいで通る
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I know, but so is Hokuto no Ken and Shikigami II. I've fooled around with the HDTV exploder lately again and got a few games to work, but I haven't paid any particular attention to hi-res 2D games - should try again...
antron

Post by antron »

Fudoh wrote:I know, but so is Hokuto no Ken and Shikigami II. I've fooled around with the HDTV exploder lately again and got a few games to work, but I haven't paid any particular attention to hi-res 2D games - should try again...
someone else should compare the hacked Hokuto no Ken and Shikigami II to the retail. I think it is an improvement (close up to a cab) but I would like someone elses opition. like I said before, some of these games have a standard res mode in the arcade, but they don't use interlacing there. why should I?
indstr

Post by indstr »

i got my xploder and vga cable in the mail yesterday... so i tried with with mushihimesama, the patched version doesn't work, but the unpatched version works.

what's up with that???

also it does work with patched ibara. i didn't try it with unpatched. also it doesn't like esp galuda. i can see the first screen that comes up ( i guess the memory card screen), but the video is doubled, and then after i hit circle, the whole thing goes black and i can't see anything.

i tested it on some other games that actually work though... the quality from the xploder, while it looks different than my hori upscan converter, i wouldn't say it looks better. it's less blurry, but more funky. ...

so i doubt i will use it much

although it does have the feature to force higher refresh rates (85hz anyone???) so i would love to use it just for that, but the game support seems dodgy at best

wish i could get my hori to output at 85hz, that would be a dream. 60hz makes my eyes hurt sometimes. how the hell do they get on in europe with 50hz!? they must all have migraines from watching tv
antron

Post by antron »

Goongrave wrote:
antron wrote:works on Hokuto no ken

Which patch? the mushi or the ibara one?
this one
http://www.mediafire.com/?1o0jcwxinoz