GD: Trizeal

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I think I might have found another secret.

It was at the beginning of stage two, just after the first two groups of tanks and after the rows of tanks at the left and right side of the screen. I was at the far right of the screen when I suddenly saw something red and small zip quickly to the left side of the screen where it disappeared and then "10000" appeared at that spot.

I couldn't see what really happened and I haven't been able to reproduce it since. Anyone else experienced this?
Last edited by Herr Schatten on Mon May 16, 2005 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Was it the UFO that the four posts previous were talking about or something different?

Edit: never mind.
Last edited by Zach Keene on Mon May 16, 2005 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Zach Keene wrote:Was it the UFO that the four posts previous were talking about or something different?
I'd say it's probably something different since people are talking about the UFO appearing in Stage 1. Herr Schatten is mistakenly mentioning having found the new seret in stage 1 as he speaks of the rows of tanks on the screen! Those tanks are stage 2 material.

So I guess we have another "secret" then! :D
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Super Laydock wrote:Herr Schatten is mistakenly mentioning having found the new seret in stage 1 as he speaks of the rows of tanks on the screen! Those tanks are stage 2 material.
Yes, indeed, I was talking about stage two. I edited the mistake in the above post.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I had the chance to pause the game and look at it now. It's a small red car that's driving by on the road far below.

It actually appears quite frequently now. I wonder how it's triggered.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Herr Schatten wrote:I had the chance to pause the game and look at it now. It's a small red car that's driving by on the road far below.

It actually appears quite frequently now. I wonder how it's triggered.
And whether it has any meaning (like you can shoot it or keep it on the road to face it later!?). It would be strange if it just was there, being triggered once in awhile and just not having a purpose, right!?

Then again maybe I am looking for stuff too much and it's just an innercompany joke refference... :roll:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Super Laydock wrote:And whether it has any meaning (like you can shoot it or keep it on the road to face it later!?). It would be strange if it just was there, being triggered once in awhile and just not having a purpose, right!?
Well, you do get 10K when it reaches the left side of the screen.

I think it's like the UFOs in stage 1: You have to perform a special task to make it appear and get points for it. The UFOs and the car are just the visible indicators that show you that you have done it alright. The spinning blue thing in stage 3 and the rocket in stage 4 (which you, contrary to my previous assumption, don't even have to hover above to get the points) are other examples of this. Unfortunately, the conditions that make the car, the blue thing and the rocket appear are still a mystery to me
DavidHolliss

Post by DavidHolliss »

haven't noticed any of these bonus items myself tbh, (not played for a week) any chance anyone can post a screenshot ? Cheers.
icepick

Post by icepick »

Herr Schatten wrote:I had the chance to pause the game and look at it now. It's a small red car that's driving by on the road far below.
That reminds me of something that I just recently noticed in stage two, while looking for that pigeon (I would not have noticed it if no one had mentioned it; It's all but invisible on my screen! Too fuzzy). After destroying that largest tank in the level, I noticed how two little guys flee the wreckage, towards the bottom of the screen. Things like that, and the bird, really put the size of the ships and tanks into perspective! 8)

I mean, I know that tanks and ships are big, but without things like that, I sometimes forget that I'm not playing with little toy thunder-and-lightning jet planes and such. :wink:

Something else that I was thinking... I might actually rather these secrets not give such things as 10,000 extra points. It's kind of the same thing as not knowing that destroying all "Break Out" enemies will yield a giant medal, but slightly more sneaky. Secrets like scaring away a bird for an extra bomb is potentially 30,000 extra points at the end of the level, but it's something that you don't actually have to work hard or play well for, if you know where it is. It's a trivial thing, since the game isn't only about scoring, but it does make the high score tables slightly shadier for those not frequenting threads such as this...

All in all though, I don't really mind them being included as they're sort of neat. However, a little number after the bird disappears and a "Secrets: 1 of 5" at the end of the level (where finding all of them might yield a bonus) sort of seems like it might be good. Maybe being dissimilar to games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater is a good thing, though. I withdraw any complaint. :lol:

(Not that THPS is bad, but I'm not going to complain about Trizeal being different. It is, after all, "from men who understand difference.")
\\ /\/\ \
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Herr Schatten wrote: Unfortunately, the conditions that make the car, the blue thing and the rocket appear are still a mystery to me
Well the mystery of the appearance of the red car seems easy to solve.
just make sure you have selected the "wide" (red!) weapon as the primary one and have it on max power...

I get the car all the time when I use this... Not sure about the UFO and rocket stuff though... :?
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Super Laydock wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote: Unfortunately, the conditions that make the car, the blue thing and the rocket appear are still a mystery to me
Well the mystery of the appearance of the red car seems easy to solve.
just make sure you have selected the "wide" (red!) weapon as the primary one and have it on max power...

I get the car all the time when I use this... Not sure about the UFO and rocket stuff though... :?
I, too, noticed that the car appears quite often when I use the wide shot. It doesn't seem to have to do directly with the selected weapon, though. Rather it seems that maybe you have to hit something to make it appear, maybe something that's on one edge of the screen and you are more likely to hit by accident when you're using wide? Just guessing, of course.

The blue spinning thing in stage 3 I get practically everytime now, while I never got it when I started playing. Maybe it has to do with either your score or your shotdown rate in stage 3?

And the rocket in the asteroid field does appear almost every time I use the wide shot in that scene, while it appears almost never when I use the laser. This suggests that either destroying a certain amount of rocks leads to its appearance or destroying a specific asteroid does. I'm not sure at all.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

can someone explain how the weapon mixing works? just got this a couple days ago, and it sure is an entertaining pain in my ass. i never could get used to the whole "raiden-bullet" theme in any incarnation.
I have no sig whatsoever.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

captain ahar wrote:can someone explain how the weapon mixing works? just got this a couple days ago, and it sure is an entertaining pain in my ass. i never could get used to the whole "raiden-bullet" theme in any incarnation.
What exactly do you mean with "weapon mixing"? I think I might be able to answer your question, but can you explain more specifically?

(In fact, I'm writing an ST for Trizeal at the moment, but it might take a little time until it's finished.)
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

by weapon mixing, i mean how the combo fire works. laser/spread, laser/missile, etc.
I have no sig whatsoever.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Just received the game today, could somebody explain what the difference between rapid trans, trans and dadada shot is? Cheers
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

MovingTarget wrote:Just received the game today, could somebody explain what the difference between rapid trans, trans and dadada shot is? Cheers
Trans: Push button and the ship transforms. If you hold down the button, nothing happens until you release it and push it again.

Rapid Trans: The ship keeps transforming as long as you hold down the button.

Dadada Shot: Only available in the PS2 version of the game. Same effect as Rapid Fire and Rapid Trans pushed at the same time.

The Rapid Trans button is very important in stage 1. To make the bonus UFOs appear, you have to push the Trans button exactly 12 or 24 times at the beginning of the stage. After that you'll end up not having the weapon you want more often than not, though. You can use Rapid Trans to change to the desired form then, as using Rapid Trans won't count as having pushed the Trans button.
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Thanks, making steady progress with this game. 1.5m after 2 hours, I'm still a bit sketchy with all the bosses though, specially the 2nd. I make it most times if I 'zone out' and twitch, with the 3rd form of the 1st boss I have to do this as well for that stray two boomerangs that head at you. Stage 3 boss is quite easy...

In any game it normally takes me a good hour to warm up, so i'm just waiting for that special run with no daft deaths :lol:
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
icepick

Post by icepick »

Herr Schatten wrote:Dadada Shot: Only available in the PS2 version of the game. Same effect as Rapid Fire and Rapid Trans pushed at the same time.
I'm not sure of the proper use of this, if it's truly like holding both rapid fire and rapid trans buttons at the same time on DC. The only thing that I can think of is that it would give a time-based average of all of the weapons (instead of one strong weapon and two sub-weapons constantly).

I was kind of hoping that it would be some new, weird type of shot... wide missles with homing lasers and an anchor shot or something. :lol:
Herr Schatten wrote:The Rapid Trans button is very important in stage 1. To make the bonus UFOs appear, you have to push the Trans button exactly 12 or 24 times at the beginning of the stage. After that you'll end up not having the weapon you want more often than not, though. You can use Rapid Trans to change to the desired form then, as using Rapid Trans won't count as having pushed the Trans button.
I finally saw the UFOs yesterday! 8)

I'm a huge fan of the little details included in games like this, and the general style, movement and timing of those UFOs is super-cute!

Possible Spoiler: Stage 4

I also saw the huge UFO at the end of the break-out bonus in stage four, but wasn't able to... shoot it down, although I had my weapons on it from the middle of the screen to the side edge. Very cool, and huge! Next I'll try to see the rocket in the asteroid field, if I can.

End Spoiler

Has anyone found any new secrets in the levels, or figured out the criteria for seeing the uncertain ones in stages two, three and four? After seeing the UFOs in stage one, I'd thought about pressing the trans button 12 or 24 times in the levels after that.
MovingTarget wrote:Thanks, making steady progress with this game. 1.5m after 2 hours, I'm still a bit sketchy with all the bosses though, specially the 2nd. I make it most times if I 'zone out' and twitch, with the 3rd form of the 1st boss I have to do this as well for that stray two boomerangs that head at you. Stage 3 boss is quite easy...
The stage three boss still gives me a hard time with all of the stuff going on, but I agree that although the stage two boss is simpler, it's quite challenging with the streams of slow bullets followed by the rapid bullets. :o

I have no idea of when I'll defeat the stage four boss, but maybe the third (fourth?) time will be the charm.

Also; I tried to access the XIISTAG ship for Lifting by entering the code (right, left, left, shot * 12) at the main Lifting screen, but wasn't able to unlock the ship. I feel like I remember there being another way to unlock it, perhaps it's mentioned in the original thread in the main shmups forum.

(Following quote from high score thread.)
lewisit wrote:i always play Trizeal in 2-player-mode together with a friend

one thing that realy puzzels me is that i constantly get a much higher score than him - although we share the bombs, medals, colored_balls and so on as good as we can and we're both kinda equaly skilled

so how does it come that my score is always that much higher (in the first levels sometimes double his score)? we don't credit_feed and keep us powered_up equaly...

could it be that killing_a_boss only scores for me 'cause my shoot(s) got him or something like that?
Hmm... The first thing that I think of is ship selection; Are you using the 1P ship (red; Antares-1) or the 2P ship (yellow; Antares-3)? Lots of high scorers prefer the A-3 because it's faster, but I'm not sure if that would make a big difference by itself. I'd try switching controllers or sides of the screen, and maybe checking to make sure that both of you chain the medals the same way.

The idea about boss scoring is definitely something to think about; I suppose that I'd never considered the logistics of scoring in two-player mode before, even though I really like playing certain games two-player. :)

(Granted; When I play two-player with someone, it's usually for distance rather than score.)
lewisit wrote:another question about the 2-player-mode (not realy about scoring - sorry)

is there something like a "rank" in this mode also? if so: how many (few) power_ups are we supposed to use, so that the rank is keept down?
That's a pretty good question! I'd imagine that the rank would be the same for each ship as though it was playing by itself; That is, each ship could reach a total weapon level of 9 (e.g. W+M+L; 5+3+1, 3+3+3 or any other combination) before rank is switched on. If it goes by combined ship weapon levels, then that would be pretty tricky! I'll have to check sometime, when I have someone to pilot the second ship.

If only I could... double play! :wink: :wink:
\\ /\/\ \
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

icepick wrote: Are you using the 1P ship (red; Antares-1) or the 2P ship (yellow; Antares-3)?
I always use the 2P-ship
icepick wrote: I'd try switching controllers or sides of the screen, and maybe checking to make sure that both of you chain the medals the same way.
mhn... this sounds reasonable

we never did this because of the way we sit in front of the screen when playing (also my friend likes the wide-shoot of the 1P-ship better and I realy love the laser-shoot of the 2P-ship)

but we'll def. give it a try the next time we play and see about our scores then :)
icepick wrote: When I play two-player with someone, it's usually for distance rather than score.
we also don't realy go for score when playing together - but after all it's kinda distracting when in the end it's always just me who's able to enter my initials (to be honest that would bother me too if it was always the other way around...)
icepick

Post by icepick »

lewisit wrote:I always use the 2P-ship
icepick wrote:I'd try switching controllers or sides of the screen, and maybe checking to make sure that both of you chain the medals the same way.
mhn... this sounds reasonable

we never did this because of the way we sit in front of the screen when playing (also my friend likes the wide-shoot of the 1P-ship better and I realy love the laser-shoot of the 2P-ship)
Ah, do you sit on the right side then? I suppose that most of the enemy formations are balanced, but then, the first stage does give quite an advantage in points to the player on the right-hand side of the screen, closest to the small ships. :wink:

Also, the way that the laser helps medal chaining might also have something to do with it, but yes, I look forward to hearing how things go next time with these ideas! Maybe you could both use wide, or both use laser, to start things out.
lewisit wrote:we also don't realy go for score when playing together - but after all it's kinda distracting when in the end it's always just me who's able to enter my initials (to be honest that would bother me too if it was always the other way around...)
Oh, I understand what you mean. Now that I remember it, I get the funny looks from the second player in Shikigami no Shiro II all the time, unless I make some silly mistake at a boss... :oops:

(It's easy to explain in that game though, because of the different characters and the Shikigami attack and the x8 actions. I'm sure we can figure this out in Trizeal too, though!)
\\ /\/\ \
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

icepick wrote: Ah, do you sit on the right side then?
jep - but just changing controller-ports shouldn't be that much of a problem (i hope) :D
icepick wrote: Also, the way that the laser helps medal chaining might also have something to do with it, [...] Maybe you could both use wide, or both use laser, to start things out.
maybe we should do that...

but it'll be kinda weird for us: he always picks a ship with a wideshoot and i go for a laser-equiped in every shmup (it's just a question of personal taste...)
icepick wrote: I look forward to hearing how things go next time with these ideas!
me 2

but first i'll have to wait for my friend to return from his vacation next w/end and my new TFT-monitor should be here & mounted on the wall before we'll give it another shoot

i'll keep you updated :)
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

icepick wrote:I look forward to hearing how things go next time with these ideas!
a real enjoyable gaming-nite is over (still no 1cc in co-op but the turrets of doom are now no longer that much feared by us) :)

of cause we tried the controller/ship-changing:

and guess what - although we played the same way as always (just with different ships) now my friend had the much higher scores :shock:

it's def. the second (yellow) ship that scores alot better in Trizeal!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

lewisit wrote:
icepick wrote:I look forward to hearing how things go next time with these ideas!
a real enjoyable gaming-nite is over (still no 1cc in co-op but the turrets of doom are now no longer that much feared by us) :)

of cause we tried the controller/ship-changing:

and guess what - although we played the same way as always (just with different ships) now my friend had the much higher scores :shock:

Do you also get different scores if you play the same stage with different ships in single player mode?

The yellow ship moves faster than the red one. My guess would be that it's easier to keep your medal chain going with it and that's what makes the difference in scores.
lewisit

Post by lewisit »

i tried both ships in single player-mode now and it's not that much of a difference scorewise...

so i have to correct this statement:

into:

it's def. the second (yellow) ship that scores alot better in Trizeal in 2P-mode!
icepick

Post by icepick »

Very interesting! Although the high score lists are pretty varied, I do believe that the second player ship is on the top of most, so it probably scores better in either mode. Quite a nice experiment, and thank you for posting your results! :)

I've been on a double play kick of late, but after an experiment with Under Defeat, I don't think that there's any way that I could get two ships past the Trizeal stage two boss. I'll try it someday, maybe after I finally make it to stage 5.
\\ /\/\ \
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

I hope there are still people playing this game. I had some questions about getting 100% destruction rate on certain levels. I've been able to get 100% on level 3 a few times, but I have never been able to get the 100% on the first two levels.

I've played through the first two levels hundreds of times, but I've never gotten the 100% on them. I try to max out my weapons asap with the spread shot getting done first, so my weapons shouldn't be the problem.

Has anyone been able to get 100% on the first two levels, and if so can you do it consistently? Thanks for any help.
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
RGC

Post by RGC »

From what I recall you need to take out both cannons on the first boss before he starts spinning. Not played this for time, sorry.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

seattlexc wrote:Has anyone been able to get 100% on the first two levels, and if so can you do it consistently? Thanks for any help.
For getting 100% on stage 1, there are two criteria you must meet: 1. You have to trigger the bonus enemies by clearing the break out scene. Then you have to destroy every one of the dragons. This is most easily done with the laser. 2. You have to destroy the two little side cannons on the boss. You MUST use the laser for this, because it's your only piercing weapon. If you use wide shot or missiles, you will hit the boss instead of the cannons and not get the 100% bonus.

Getting 100% in stage 2 is pretty hard. You have to destroy all of the tanks and also all of the flying enemies. There's a specific type of flying enemies that makes achieving this very hard, because it only drops down on the screen briefly, before flying up again. Basically, you have to memorize the whole level and be at the right spot at the right time.

Here's a dilemma: For getting 100% on stage 1 you need a powered up laser, but you won't be able to get the bonus on stage 2, if you don't have a fully powered wide shot from the get-go. My advice is to forget about getting the 100% in stage 2 and rather milk the lifting rock for points. This will net you a higher overall score. You can still get the 100% on stages 1, 3, 4 and 6 quite easily (5 is tricky, but it can be done).
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

Thanks a lot for the helpful info guys. I finally got my first 100% on the first level! I didn't even know you could destroy those side guns, so thanks for the help.

One more question, what ship do you guys use? I've been using the player 1 ship, but I've read that player 2 might have some perks to it. I don't know much about the secret Stag XIII ship though.
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

seattlexc wrote:One more question, what ship do you guys use? I've been using the player 1 ship, but I've read that player 2 might have some perks to it. I don't know much about the secret Stag XIII ship though.
It's really up to your preferences. I found the weapons's screen coverage better on the 1P ship, but I still prefer the 2P ship simply because it moves much faster. It doesn't make a lot of difference for most of the game, but it's much easier to get past the rotating turrets of doom in stage 5 with the yellow ship.
I never got the hang of the XII-Stag ships.