Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label [Arcade/X360]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
moozooh

Re: Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou ~ Black Label

Post by moozooh »

moozooh - 60,239,640 - B-S - 1-5 - 1316

A 360 port score.

First time no-missing up until the stage 3 boss with a nice 5-hyper chain at the pop-corn-idor™. Entered stage 5 with 3 lives (holy shit) and a hyper, but died twice with nearly full bomb stock. Just you wait, Hibachi! Next time I will be using these bombs more wisely.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

moozooh wrote:pop-corn-idor™
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Credit for this little gem goes to m3tall1ca. :P

Also worth noting that I entered stage 3 with 30 million flat and didn't try scoring from that point whatsoever. The rest of the score came from survival alone (thanks to miraculously good stage 4).
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I expect this topic's activity to multiply soon :p
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Lance Boyle

Post by Lance Boyle »

PROMETHEUS wrote:I expect this topic's activity to multiply soon :p
We better set up a separate MAME table.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Day 1 score, this game is hard as hell to chain, done on Mame

EDIT: Previously posted score invalid

For some reason whenever I play on mame the max hit counter does not carry over from stage to stage; once you die past stage 1, the max hit counter drops to 0 every time you die. 'Tis problematic since obviously someone playing through mame can't post their exact max combo hit. Example of my highest score:

I know for sure my highest combo was 910 on stage 1 but the max hit only shows 28. Guess I'll be waiting for a while before trying to do another serious run...

Resume - 75,197,930 - A-E - 1-3 - 910 Hit

For a final score after day one, I'd say this ain't too shabby.
austere

Post by austere »

Thank you so much for this observation, it will be extremely helpful actually. I don't recommend using the scores from MAME in the high score table (or in their own "MAME" table) right now due to the incomplete emulation. We will likely come up with a fix soon. If you like you can create a "Dai Ou Jou ~ Novice Label" list though, because it's a lot easier without proper basic rank control.
Last edited by austere on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
<RegalSin> It does not matter, which programming language you use, you will be up your neck in math.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

austere wrote:Thank you so much for this observation, it will be extremely helpful actually. I don't recommend using the scores from MAME in the high score table (or in their own table) right now due to the incomplete emulation. We will likely come up with a fix soon. If you like you can create a "Dai Ou Jou ~ Novice Label" list though, because it's a lot easier without proper basic rank control.
Yea I'll just wait it out, probably play Ketsui in the meantime since that seems nearly done minus the sounds.

EDIT: 12/15/10: The hit counter problem seems to lie in the fact that 2p fails to keep the hit counter up, unlike 1p side. Unsure why at the time, but I mentioned it in the discussion topic.
Last edited by Emuser on Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Lance Boyle wrote:
PROMETHEUS wrote:I expect this topic's activity to multiply soon :p
We better set up a separate MAME table.
Definitely not ?! Why should it be separate ? Just wait until MAME is sufficiently close to the arcade version and keep the tables merged. It's terrible to split the activity between topics, it kills the exchanges and general coming together of the players. It's also very annoying for competition if you have to check many different tables to know how well you rank.
Follow me on Twitch??
jpj

Post by jpj »

guys, don't spam my topic please. i rely on email notifications when someone posts a score, but if there are a bunch of posts one after the other i don't get the email so the table wont get updated. luckily i was thinking of posting some more on here in off-topic about my friend who beat a world record and thought i'd have a look in the HS section. also, i will be the one to decide how to maintain my own threads

edit: "2p fails to keep the hit counter up, unlike 1p side" this is actually an artifact of the pcb
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

A day 2 score:

Resume - 87,547,780 - A-E - 1-3 - 928 Hit

I'm gonna take a break from this game even though I haven't been playing it for longer than a week. By the time I get to stage 3 things just get crazy and I can't chain or get killed trying to keep it.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Well, as of today I am transitionning from DoDonPachi to DoDonpachi Dai Ou Jou, Black Label !
I had been playing White Label with a PS2 emulator previously, but it had poor rendering, sound, and bad input lag. Also, Black Label is clearly superior when you want to play DOJ seriously. So I'm really happy to be able to play this perfectly with keyboard, saves and inps today. I'm so grateful to the guys who made it work.

Has anyone confirmed that rank works properly in the latest ShmupMAME ? From what I've seen so far it seems fine.
Follow me on Twitch??
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Out of nowhere, 1-ALL with a spare life. No score increase, though, because I accidentally activated the hypers I got on st1 before the st2 midboss. Gonna record the next time I play, really pissed that what was supposed to be a test credit turned out to be my best ever in terms of survival. >_<

This is not for the board because I have a higher score up, but I'm going to post it here for reference's sake:

moozooh — 55,934,760 — B-S — 1-ALL (2-loop play) — 608

Entered stage 5 with three spare lives before the second score extend. No-missed the 1-up cannon nicely (that 1-4 was probably my best ever). Bomb usage was alright, although I think I lost around 4 to 6 bombs to premature deaths.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Despatche - 37,321,320 - A-E - 1-4 - 162

This game is wonderful. This game is better than Dodonpachi... This game is even better than Ketsui.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Despatche wrote:Despatche - 37,321,320 - A-E - 1-4 - 162

This game is wonderful. This game is better than Dodonpachi...
I agree this game is better than DoDonPachi, except for less experienced players for whom it's probably a little too hard to be as enjoyable.
Follow me on Twitch??
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Black Label is not really too hard. If you played DDP starting from stage 2 (skipping stage 1 entirely) the difficulty curve would have been similar, if not identical, on the first loop. After all you can use hypers to survive quite effectively.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

At least when you play for score, DOJ BL feels like twice as hard as DDP. Can't wait to get to learning second loop and see how I perform there.
Follow me on Twitch??
joeboto

Post by joeboto »

mame version accepted? if so, heres my score. pretty rubbish run. going into 1st and 4th boss without hyper is just plain stupid. and lots of careless death.

joeboto - 204,153,840 - A-E - 1-5 - 1809 hit

inp for great laugh + popcorn.
shmupmame v2.2
http://www.mediafire.com/?7473a9c1nbkf0sw
It is to us a sufficient body in which, fairies and it is packed and can group of play.
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

I understand that mame scores are accepted.

This is my day 2 score. I am suffering from stage 1 syndrome, so I hardly continue the game if I fail to get 22-25 millions in stage 1, lol

AST-POW - 60,631,490 - A-E - 1-4 - 791 hit

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Nice to see you guys playing ! I've switched to A-E and learned first 2 stages, so far.

This is the first score I posted over at shmup.com :

ProMeTheus - 240,328,830 - A-E - 1-ALL - 2048 Hit
Replay recorded with ShmupMAME version 2.2.

I did the first 2 chains, then many ugly mistakes in stage 3 and 4, and then played well in stage 5 and no missed it including last boss.

If you don't mind jpj, you could remove my former score and replace it with this one. I'll beat the old one eventually anyway.
Follow me on Twitch??
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Just watched your replay.
Seems you don't like of bomb!
I will try do a INP too, but I bomb like a crazy :lol:

EDIT:
Here is it, shit in all places :oops:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VDHI7YLM

The final score was around 350mil in 2-2
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I've been doing a lot of work on stage 3 until I got this thing done in a run after a good stage 1 and stage 2.
Check out the stage 3 chain for a little surprise ;D

ProMeTheus - 349,742,710 - A-E - Stage 5 - 2052 Hit
Replay recorded with ShmupMAME 2.2.

That's a "One Round Game" run, so I got myself pwned by Hibachi at the end (although I did dodge a few patterns on this first encounter !). A few really ugly mistakes in stage 4 and 5, so if you want to see me fail pretty bad you should watch this replay ;D

It's not an impressive run, but it's nice that I managed to learn that stage 3 trick. It's pretty hardcore @_@ I repeated it like hundreds of times, sometimes I repeated only that section for an entire hour or two. At first it seemed just way too hard, and then slowly I could do it right a little more often.

So I guess I got the first 3 stages down and will keep using those routes for a long time. I'll get to learn the rest in 2011 !

ProM Out !
Follow me on Twitch??
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Third_strike - 527,388,420 -A-E - 2-3 - 2111 Hit
Even if it will last any few days, let me enjoy this, so much time I don't do this!
:D
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Nice score there Third_Strike !
What did you chain ? Stage 4 ? 5 ?
Follow me on Twitch??
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Stage 4 was a whole of shit.
Stage 5 with 2 big chains.
A question to you: what I need think during stage 3 midboss connection?
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

third_strike wrote:A question to you: what I need think during stage 3 midboss connection?
I would say, observe how the last big ship before the midboss breaks four times, and every time it breaks you get a full chain meter if you are on hyper mode. You need to let the full chain meter almost deplete without shooting every four times, plus score full chain meter hits from the helicopters to the right, and from the turret to the left.

Also, it gets hard when you are positionned very close to that "last big ship" and it keeps shooting it's patterns. Those patterns can be dealt much more easily even at close range if you realize you can dodge them by simply tapping in one direction after each shot is fired.

To use the mines that the midboss shoots to connect to the ships that come after his death :
1) Stop shooting the second the midboss starts exploding.
2) Move to the left and destroy the mine furthest to the left with laser, then stop shooting.
3) Shoot another mine when chain meter is near depletion. Sometimes you'll only need to use shot for that second mine, because it has already been hit by shot while you activated laser to kill first mine.
4) Try to kill the last mine when it's almost off screen.

Obviously, copy from HFD's video ! You can get it from www.shmuperplay.com if you don't have it already.

Show me if you manage to do it too !
Follow me on Twitch??
jpj

Post by jpj »

for the last time, keep this thread for posting scores guys, discuss the game or strats in the relevant sections. i'm not saying it to be pedantic, but you're causing me to not receive the email updates which means the table will not updated properly

well done on your score third_strike
RegalSin wrote:Videogames took my life away like the Natives during colonial times.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

jpj wrote:for the last time, keep this thread for posting scores guys, discuss the game or strats in the relevant sections. i'm not saying it to be pedantic, but you're causing me to not receive the email updates which means the table will not updated properly

well done on your score third_strike
Hey jpj !
I'm sorry if you feel bothered somehow, but I think chatting in high score threads is important and enjoyable. That's probably half of why I even hang out on this forum. I don't think we are off topic, discussing each other's scores, improvements, etc. If we were to discuss things in separate topics, I feel there would be a lot less players who would go find these topics and take part in the discussion, so that would be unfortunate. What do you think ?
Maybe we can help you update the table somehow, by posting a little update-recap from time to time for example ?
Follow me on Twitch??
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

And about stage 3 midboss that is really hard to me. Connect the chain with midboss is very hard, but kill the midboss in right time 3x more hard! It is better I try other stuffs before this.
Thanks for notes I will use it later.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

third_strike wrote:And about stage 3 midboss that is really hard to me. Connect the chain with midboss is very hard, but kill the midboss in right time 3x more hard! It is better I try other stuffs before this.
Thanks for notes I will use it later.
Yeah you're right I think it's a good idea to learn stage 4 and 5 chains before learning this trick because they are generally easier (except maybe stage 4 cannon section) and worth SO MUCH more points.
Follow me on Twitch??