Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label [Arcade/X360]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Plasmo

Re: Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou ~ Black Label

Post by Plasmo »

NTSC-J wrote:adversity1 asked WTN a few weeks ago if he was still playing Donpachi and he said no. Take from that what you will.
It's not that I don't believe Prom and you, I'm probably just as baffled as you are now.

It's not, that his 84mill was an old score and only submitted in July. There were several other score submissions for Donpachi from him before that the past months.

Maybe there are two SOF-WTNs?!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Plasmo wrote:
NTSC-J wrote:adversity1 asked WTN a few weeks ago if he was still playing Donpachi and he said no. Take from that what you will.
It's not that I don't believe Prom and you, I'm probably just as baffled as you are now.

It's not, that his 84mill was an old score and only submitted in July. There were several other score submissions for Donpachi from him before that the past months.

Maybe there are two SOF-WTNs?!
Like in The Prestige !! SOF-WTN secret twin ?!?!
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Naut

Post by Naut »

It's not exactly a secret that SOF-WTN is secretive as fuck, he might as well be lying about his "not playing" for all we know. It'd be nice if we could at least see whatever proof Arcadia is getting for his score submissions, I wouldn't give a shit about him lying then... If he is, anyway.
Gus

Post by Gus »

Arcadia seems to be months behind when the scores get submitted and when they show up in the magazine. That one in the July Arcadia probably happened in March or April so I think it's definitely possible he stopped or at least decided to take a break since then. Also I really doubt he's lying about that score given Arcadia's screening and the fact that NTSC-J can confirm he's recorded a Type B run of his that's higher than what's already in Arcadia.

Sure is DOJBL in here. :lol:
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Well I think we should give WTN the benefit of the doubt because things can quickly turn stupid when rumors go around about someone popular, while he can't even react to it. We have good reasons to ask him questions though, let's see what he answers if we get a chance to ask.
Gus wrote:Sure is DOJBL in here. :lol:
jpj must be mad, he hates off topic X_X !
(but I like it, thats how good conversations go I think!)
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Ratikal - 236,260,970 - 2-1 - X360 - didn't track

Also started tracking my progress ala Cagar style. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... XF0Q3BSZWc
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Jaimers - 890,547,120 - A-E - 2-5 - 2962 Hit

Learned some chains and messed up said chains. And I lost the max bonus at the 1-3 boss lol. I'll go and get a good run later.

EDIT:
Also jpj, iconoclast is in the scoreboard twice.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Here is my first keyboard 2-ALL ! A nice run with many cool actions and dodges. Pretty good score too. Only my 4th try on DOJ BL since I came back !

I don't have that much time to play these days so I don't know when I will improve, some weeks may be needed.

Replay : http://www.mediafire.com/?wcr5ldru1cpodp4
ShmupMAME + how to playback info : http://www.mediafire.com/?5jf9mvecaln6hqp
Follow me on Twitch??
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I just made my goal now !

ProMeTheus - 2,137,066,330 - A-E - ALL - 3364 Hits

Replay : http://www.mediafire.com/?46u2o3g0c2v5mh1
Replaypack : http://www.mediafire.com/?wud6ewh3fe7p5g3
ShmupMAME 2.2 + playback instructions : http://www.mediafire.com/?5jf9mvecaln6hqp

It happened faster than I thought again. I must say that I've done some really good practicing here and there for a long time so naturally it paid off in full. Total DOJ playtime is about 250 hours now. I feel like I got a lot better since the DDP days, that's nice. No one wants to stagnate ! This was my 15th try, labelled 014 because number 000 got lost. It's a really nice run, very solid play through most of the game. Not perfect by any means, and although I don't expect I will ever play a perfect run, I can and will definitely improve on this in the future, however right now is time for a break because I want to do other things and need to practice DDP/Guwange for a demo at a gaming event that takes place in Montpellier in 2 months (they are willing to try an arcade stand on their exhibition space and I'm in for demoing some shmupping !! cool).

For this run I was only kind of bummed at how badly I messed Hibachi's last pattern, it's natural that I would miss there quite a bit because it's still really hard for me but you'll see here the mistakes were really stupid :] lawl

Added the replaypack with all runs played for anyone curious to see what happens in between those good runs. The run I uploaded earlier was number 003. I think it was mostly early mess ups with sometimes a pretty nice thing happening, many runs interrupted after first mistake though. I did not make a text file referencing the runs for this batch because I expected to reach my goal (2B with ALL) within less than 50 runs, so it's not very useful and I was lazy I guess. Probably next time I try improving I will do that.

Hope you'll like to watch this, there should be a video made out of this some time later but it might take some weeks.

Thanks and let's keep dodging all this mess !!
Follow me on Twitch??
Gus

Post by Gus »

Beastly. Definitely gonna watch this.
Naut

Post by Naut »

Congratulations Prom! Fantastic score, was a fun watch as well. The 2-4 cannon had me yell "NO! Ahhhh!" at my screen in the middle of the night :(
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Congrats Prom. Seems like only yesterday you were just starting out on this. It was really stunning watching you progress so fast in this game. Any new number in mind for when you come back to this?
PROMETHEUS wrote:Hope you'll like to watch this, there should be a video made out of this some time later but it might take some weeks.
Can't wait! It would be neat if you did a commentary like Gus has done on some of his videos.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

What is this madness! Hearty congratulations to you, Prome!

What's your next goal, btw? Going back to DDP, learning DFK perhaps? How about Ketsui? :P
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Gus

Post by Gus »

Yeah, that was a great run to watch. Hope you keep improving on this.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

The replay drops sync at the first boss for me. :( Care to share your nvram file for DOJBL, as I'd love to watch this. I had to guess at the settings you've used, FREE PLAY on or off?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Very nice job. What left to haunt me is how much that early 2-5 death cost you though. I ended up with an estimate of 400M (100M from the chain cut, 100M from the lost bee hits and 200M from max). Of course it did lower the rank a lot so it wasn't all that disastrous. Great watch in any case.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Thanks everyone!
emphatic wrote:The replay drops sync at the first boss for me. :( Care to share your nvram file for DOJBL, as I'd love to watch this. I had to guess at the settings you've used, FREE PLAY on or off?
all default, I think if you just delete your NVRAM it should work ?
But let me share my NVRAM for you : http://www.mediafire.com/?2675tgjp7w5gbfp

(and here is another little flaw of shmupMAME compared to WolfMAME. WolfMAME prevented you from cheating with pausing, frame stepping, throttling, and also made NVRAM reset to default when you start to record inp. I'd love someone to put the WolfMAME code into shmupMAME, including the .wlf file that gets written when you record !)
Erppo wrote:Very nice job. What left to haunt me is how much that early 2-5 death cost you though. I ended up with an estimate of 400M (100M from the chain cut, 100M from the lost bee hits and 200M from max). Of course it did lower the rank a lot so it wasn't all that disastrous. Great watch in any case.
Yeah that cost a lot of points. About 150M from MAX probably, 100M from bee hits I'd say yeah that's about it, and chain cut costs like 200M I would say. About 400-500M total, approx.
Naut wrote:Congratulations Prom! Fantastic score, was a fun watch as well. The 2-4 cannon had me yell "NO! Ahhhh!" at my screen in the middle of the night :(
Yeah I was very disappointed there, I guess I made a face like :[ and that's why you see me pausing in place for a few seconds and restarting my route kind of sulking eheh. But it's not too horrible, one life is only worth 50M, only afraid that I would not get the ALL on a good score which is the most scary thing that's on my mind when I get a very good run going, in the end I did get it even with 2 other bad mistakes. The chain break is a bit of points lost but not too horrible either, I was really only going for 2B anyway so I felt it was ok if I didn't get as much as I could. It relieves a lot of tention when I feel I'm ok with some mistakes like that.
brokenhalo wrote:Congrats Prom. Seems like only yesterday you were just starting out on this. It was really stunning watching you progress so fast in this game. Any new number in mind for when you come back to this?
Secret !! ;D
I will only say, my short term goal was 2B with ALL, I have a mid term goal and a ultimate goal. I do not know if I will ever make my ultimate goal. And I will just add : I am not planning on breaking the world record, lol.
moozooh wrote:What is this madness! Hearty congratulations to you, Prome!

What's your next goal, btw? Going back to DDP, learning DFK perhaps? How about Ketsui? :P
I will play just enough DDP to refresh my memory as to exactly woot the fuck I'm supposed to do throughout the game right now, so not planning on a new score (but who knows maybe I'll get carried along the practicing and record some inps ^^). I want to play DFK, but I will wait for it to be perfectly playable in MAME. Ketsui is AttracTive, but for me it is more interesting to further improve in DOJBL because I can do better and by trying to do better I will get a lot better than by trying to learn Ketsui from square 1. Also, if I started to play Ketsui I'm afraid I would want to try to go #1 and it would take a lot of time because there are some big scores over there and I don't want my freetime to be too much of a prisonner of shmups !
Follow me on Twitch??
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Watched it now and MY GOD, it's full of stars! :D

IIRC, the emulation in ShmupMAME 2.2 has the incorrect default settings (Easy, no full auto on C), so I had to set this by hand, but with FREE PLAY on, the replay dropped sync at 1.1 boss. With FREE PLAY off, it worked.

Thanks for upping the nvram file anyway.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Oh okay I remember now having to fix that indeed, thanks for the info, I'll think of including NVRAM next time I guess. And make videos more often ^^

Replays are really nice though, it's just much much higher quality than video obviously.
Follow me on Twitch??
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

The replay desync'd for me at first cause I had the game set to Old Version. Just started it up normally, chose New Version, and it worked.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

brokenhalo wrote:Can't wait! It would be neat if you did a commentary like Gus has done on some of his videos.
There are plans to do at least one cast with commentary but it will be in French. If someone wants to do a showprime cast with me to comment on the run in English I'm down for it. Otherwise I'm probably just going to encode a video of it and post it here and on youtube.
Follow me on Twitch??
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Follow me on Twitch??
chempop

Post by chempop »

Great replay PROM, I enjoyed watching that. Just a silly question, why do you let 1-4 boss pattern loop a few times before going in for the kill? I have to say, you make it look so easy :shock:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

If I had to guess, he was hoping for the boss' turrets to spawn in groups of three instead of spread out, similar to this guy.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

CStarFlare wrote:If I had to guess, he was hoping for the boss' turrets to spawn in groups of three instead of spread out, similar to this guy.
Indeed ! I need that to get 5 hypers.
Follow me on Twitch??
CRI

Post by CRI »

CRI - 474,198,020 - A-E - 2-2 - 2363 Hits

someone asked me to perform a doj run at a shmup event this saturday so i started playing this again.
i will definitely keep playing this even after the event. love this game! :D
CRI

Post by CRI »

CRI - 628,660,810 - A-E - 2-4 - 2498 Hits

looks like 10h save state practise really improved my chaining.
i was already happy with breaking 500 mil but +600 is just awesome.
i'm satisfied with my progress so far. :D
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

Well, this kind of score used to take me until Stage 4 at least.
Iori Branford - 83,867,830 - A-E - 1-3 - 789 Hit - MAME 0.145-0ubuntu1
Zil

Post by Zil »

Zil - 286,069,290 - A-E - ALL - 1361 Hit

This is submitted correctly, I hope? I don't think I will ever improve it.
old screensaver: spinning 3D monolith with my waifu on it
new screensaver: marquee that says "podd week" regardless of what week it is
Zengeku3
Banned User

Post by Zengeku3 »

I'll say it here too. Nicely done Zil.