All right, how about take a shooter and make it perfect.

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
JacobXScum

All right, how about take a shooter and make it perfect.

Post by JacobXScum »

No this isn't a clone of the pre existing topic. If i were to say, author a shooter, what would make it great? From fans of shooters? With enough ideas i could come up with something great, and who better to ask? Everything, from character design to physics, to gameplay, powerups, attack patterns (I'm great with math so, i'm particularly looking forward to this portion) mechanics, the whole deal.

And what if i could work on this step by step, submitting progress as i go, taking feedback, and repairing problems...until we all end up with a supremely kickass game worthy of what we love?

What if there's someone here who's incredibly good with graphics programs, or shit, even drawing in general who could flesh out sprites? Hand illustrated sprites, maybe even with that illustrated look could be GREAT.

What if we could have a game that we could show our friends, and say "Look what people who actually know something about gaming can do?" And then we could show them our names in the credits, and be like "Yeah, bitch...Pwnd."

For a start. Maybe not something that's just shoot huge weapons and dodge. Maybe dual analog control. Or maybe that's just one weapon config. Of course it will HAVE huge weapons and dodging, but what else?
Maybe something that can't be completed in an hour or less when you master it. Epic and all that. Makes you work for a long time. Maybe you can't reach max power 2 minutes into the game.

Just some thoughts...for now.
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

*ball of tumbleweed passes by*
lgb

Post by lgb »

To be honest, this really should go in Shmups Chat.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Thread moved to Development, maybe some discussion will spark out.

I'd say making a perfect shmup is an impossibility because even within our niche genre people have different tastes. You mentioned in another topic you'd love bosses and would like to play a Konami boss-only shmup. I'd dig that as well, not all would.

Same thing with every other element possible. Even the time factor you mentioned. I like my shmups short 'n sweet, an hour is wayyyy too much, 20-30 minutes of concentrated awesomeness is the best in my book.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
indstr

Post by indstr »

People might take you more seriously if you didn't curse in your initial brainstorming...

but here are some ideas:

Make the AI adapt to you like in Warning Forever.

Dual analogue sounds like a good idea... but instead of having it arena based like robotron clones, keep it vertical scrolling. Enemies will still come primarily from the top of the screen, but they may do more left and right movement, requiring you to dodge and shoot in different directions

either that or you could scrap this idea and make a Contra clone with dual analogue because that would be some hot shit :D
JacobXScum

Post by JacobXScum »

Sorry, i actually tone down my language on forums usually. HA.

Speaking of contra clones with dual analog control, i would have LOVED Neo Contra if it had dual analog.

I totally agree that we have different tastes. But that's what could make it awesome. If a shooter could be made that appeals to the entire market, and maybe even inches its way into the mainstream....

I will seriously include every idea i get. And then if it all works, it all stays.

I can handle some character/spirte design but i'd like to not have to spend MONTHS on that...alone...first.

Thanks for moving this topic, by the way. I've noticed this section before, but didn't even think about it.
JacobXScum

Post by JacobXScum »

I always thought that a chain reaction based fight system would be cool. Like debris from what you shoot could damage other enemies. Say, a formation is arranged like the 5 on a standard game die.

You CAN shoot the four support enemies, but if you shoot the "leader" in the center first, his debris will take out his minions, and you'd get a powerup or bonus for it.... Of course the debris would hurt YOU as well....haha...

Imagine what you could do if you planned it so there were thirty enemies onscreen, and it seems really unmanageable, but really you just have to take out one guy, and it wastes the entire screen? AWESOME!!!!

Or how about directional shielding? With the dual analog control i mentioned. The right analog stick could control the shield, while the stick button controls the firing....
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

indstr wrote:either that or you could scrap this idea and make a Contra clone with dual analogue because that would be some hot shit :D
Abuse?
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

You will never please everyone here. The shmups community is absolutely schizophrenic, to the point where trying to please everyone will end up pleasing no-one.

Make a shmup that you like and fits your own vision of a good game. Come here for feedback, but don't base everything off people's opinions here. There are way too many differing opinions to make a solid shmup using all of them, without it turning out a runny unfocused mess.

Just my 2c

Edit: Oops, this is a necropost. Oh well, RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE and all that.
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

Udderdude wrote:The truth.
It is powerup of laser.